Croatia!!

stcruise

I was very excited to see the new Wind Star Venice-Venice itinerary for the Croatian coast (well, one stop is Slovenia).

We were wanting to see Croatia, but up until now Windstar's itineraries only included a couple of Croatian ports (Venice-Rome and reverse and Venice-Athens) and we weren't interested. I had even started looking into other lines :eek: with cruises that concentrated on Croatia.

We were thinking of taking a year off next year after 8 Windstar cruises in 5 years - but now that they're offering this itinerary we may need to rethink this plan. Of course, 2018 will be our 30th anniversary, so maybe I can hold off until then and spring the big bucks for the only suite on the ship!!! The only risk to this is that they don't offer this itinerary in 2018 or they offer it on a different ship. We would really like to do this cruise on the Wind Star - which we love.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Hi Suzanne, this is Susanne on Cape Cod. I saw that new cruise yesterday and it looks great. Unfortunately/Fortunately I reserved May 2017 out of Venice to Rome a dream trip reserved it right after we returned from the Breeze to get the extra discount. So, Wed., 3 am 331 days out reserved my free business class miles flight, then read about Croatia. It is fine I think for my husband cooler weather will be better for him. It really does sound great. We will be 3 days in Venice previous to the cruise our 4 th time there for it is my favorite place on earth I think. If you go and you like art I have compiled a list of each church and the great art in them, as I walk I see a church, look up my list and voila go in to visit great art. I think both trips and leaving Venice by sail just the thought makes my heart go pitter pat. Stay well. Enjoy dreaming. Happy Sailing

I got really excited when I saw that Venice to Venice Croatian itinerary. I also like the twelve day Croatia repositioning from Athens to Venice at the start and end of the Croatia cruises. However, I don't want to go to the Mediterranean in July and August. Too hot, and too many crowds. Put that cruise in May or September and we would be all over it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Edited by BBQ Lover

I got really excited when I saw that Venice to Venice Croatian itinerary. I also like the twelve day Croatia repositioning from Athens to Venice at the start and end of the Croatia cruises. However, I don't want to go to the Mediterranean in July and August. Too hot, and too many crowds. Put that cruise in May or September and we would be all over it.

Amen. I too was disappointed to see this itinerary offered only in the HOT & crowded months.

Thanks for the heads-up, everybody. Carla and I looked for years (no exaggeration) for the perfect cruise to celebrate our 30th. And we've locked in our first Windstar cruise for 30 September on Star Breeze. These new itineraries would have made the decision much harder, even though it would have been smack dab in the middle of summer. Other than the heat and the crowds, the 8-day version is just about perfect, and virtually identical ones have been offered by Azamara and Silversea at various times. And now WS creates it on that lovely jewel the Wind Star! And with optional side trips into Croatia and Slovenia, including a chance to visit Lake Bled!

Yes, I agree that summer heat would have probably been a deal breaker for us. I think the late September and October season will be more our speed. But kudos to Windstar for dreaming up new options.

This is inspired marketing by Windstar. First of all, for years they've sent the Wind Star into the Aegean for summer residency. By now, I imagine the novelty has worn off, and returning customers may want something different. I do expect something like this will attract some new customers as well. The latest turmoil in Greece has always been a turnoff for us, and I think others might have had pause about taking a trip focused exclusively on that region.

Geopolitical strife aside, Croatia is the new "it" scene from what I've heard. The 8-night itinerary concentrates just on that part of the Adriatic, and hits a bunch of smaller coastal ports most people have never visited before. And think about how cool that 12-night itinerary would be -- a longer, leisurely sailing from Venice to Athens (or vice versa), with every cool port in between (especially Rovinj, Dubrovnik, and Kotor).

Forgive me for giving my opinions when we haven't even sailed yet on WS, but my perspective is the one of a new customer. And this marketing move is exactly what people like me have wanted for years. A prediction -- these itineraries will be so popular that WS will also make them available in the spring and fall, a time when the weather is more pleasant and fewer tourists are in the way.

We think we have found our happy medium. B2B Italy and Dalmation Coast along with Venetian Passageways on Legend next May. Three stops in Italy, four in Greece, and seven in Kotor and Croatia. Great itineraries, best time of the year, overnight in Venice, and only two repeated ports. Dubrovnik and Kotor are the repeated ports, and by all accounts they are worthy ports to be repeated.

The only drawback might be that it is on one of the power ships rather than a sailing ship. I guess it's time to try one of the power ships. I'm sure it will be nice to have a larger stateroom.

That sounds fantastic, BBQ Lover. What a concept. In the pantheon on outstanding B2B cruises, you may have selected the best possible combo out there. Well done! (Actually, you probably like your stuff medium rare, but you know what I mean.) :p:);)

That sounds fantastic, BBQ Lover. What a concept. In the pantheon on outstanding B2B cruises, you may have selected the best possible combo out there. Well done! (Actually, you probably like your stuff medium rare, but you know what I mean.) :p:);)

I just looked and Breeze is doing the Italy and Dalmation Coast right before your Venetian Passageways. I'm just saying.. . [emoji634]

Edited by BBQ Lover

I just looked and Breeze is doing the Italy and Dalmation Coast right before your Venetian Passageways. I'm just saying.. . [emoji634]

Right you are, sir! Now if I had some cash laying around idle, I'd be all set!:):p

Right you are, sir! Now if I had some cash laying around idle, I'd be all set!:):p

I know what you mean. We are not being rich people either. What started out as, "Hey, let's do something special for your 60th birthday," is turning into something that might break the coffers. If only I had an extra bag of cash lying around.[emoji383]

We are trying to rationalize the decision by saying that it would be our trip of a lifetime. We may as well do it while we can still walk.

Edited by BBQ Lover

It's so wonderful that some of you can do B2B's - unfortunately, for us that is just not in the cards since we can't be gone from home for that length of time these days.

Still debating what to do about 2017 and will have to make a decision in the next week or two if we want to take advantage of the extra 5% Yacht Club Welcome Home discount.

Maybe waiting until 2018 won't be all that bad if they add this itinerary to other months that are not so hot or crowded.

Decisions, decisions!

My thoughts exactly! No way in summer.