Coffee maker in cabin

IdRatherBCruisin

The biggest danger to any ship is fire. The problem I have with those that say they are "safe", this is self accessed and I do not want to be at the mercy of someone that wants convenience.

Doug

Doug, I agree with you. They aren't making the rules so we can see how we can circumvent them and smuggle a coffee pot on board. Like speed limits, we can ignore them going around a curve, but it doesn't always work as planned. The limit is set for a reason, and I don't have to know what it is.

Several years ago I realized that I didn't have to have a cup of coffee the second I got up. I would love it if I could bring my Keurig with me. There aren't even any grounds to worry about. However, the coffee in the IC is soo good, I'd rather have that.

Maureen

The biggest danger to any ship is fire. The problem I have with those that say they are "safe", this is self accessed and I do not want to be at the mercy of someone that wants convenience.

Doug

Doug, I agree with you. They aren't making the rules so we can see how we can circumvent them and smuggle a coffee pot on board. Like speed limits, we can ignore them going around a curve, but it doesn't always work as planned. The limit is set for a reason, and I don't have to know what it is.

Several years ago I realized that I didn't have to have a cup of coffee the second I got up. I would love it if I could bring my Keurig with me. There aren't even any grounds to worry about. However, the coffee in the IC is soo good, I'd rather have that.

Maureen

I agree.. You also cannot compare a cruise ship to a hotel.

Electrical systems onboard are monitored for that very reason. (fire)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I could not find it right now, but somewhere in the cruise documents for Princess it does state that no water heating implements are allowed in the rooms. Fire is bad, just look at at the Star Princess fire back in '06 I think it was.

I could not find it right now, but somewhere in the cruise documents for Princess it does state that no water heating implements are allowed in the rooms. Fire is bad, just look at at the Star Princess fire back in '06 I think it was.

I looked also and could not find the reference. My recollection is that it applied to these http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Immersion-Heater-Portable-Beverage/dp/B000VK0DRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435679518&sr=8-1&keywords=water+cup+heat and not auto shut off appliances like this http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-11451-565US-17-Ounce-Electric-Kettle/dp/B00851LRLC/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1435679680&sr=8-21&keywords=bodum+tea+kettle

or this http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CM618-Single-Coffee/dp/B008YS1WXE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1435679926&sr=8-5&keywords=one+cup+coffee+maker

Edited by Alaskanb

It's a funny day on Cruise Critic. I just read a thread where people are saying some cruise lines don't have self-serve laundry facilites because they are a fire hazard. And here, we have people saying Princess doesn't have coffee makers because they are a fire hazard. Anyone else see the irony? ;)

It's a funny day on Cruise Critic. I just read a thread where people are saying some cruise lines don't have self-serve laundry facilites because they are a fire hazard. And here, we have people saying Princess doesn't have coffee makers because they are a fire hazard. Anyone else see the irony? ;)

No irons are not allowed but they are available in the laundry rooms. :p

No irony at all. The Princess laundries are located in a fire rated compartment with a vestibuled entrance to prevent smoke migration should a fire occur. Would the coffee maker people be willing to go to a similar facility?

Not interested in the hassle or the mess. I can just see someone flushing their coffee filter full of grounds down the toilet and clogging the system for a bunch of other cruisers.

Just curious: is there any documented instance of a coffee maker starting a fire on a ship?

One that I know of from first hand experience was one in the electrician's shop for testing, and it went up in flames. My present company, where the ships have engine rooms that are unattended all night, have in their safety management system, as part of the checklist when the engineer's leave the engine room at night, to unplug the coffee maker. I'm sure that a search of insurance investigations (probably far more in depth required than a web search) would show case studies of this. As I've said, Mr. Coffee, back in the '90's, I think, had some horrific legal settlements for home fires caused by faulty auto-off switches.

One that I know of from first hand experience was one in the electrician's shop for testing, and it went up in flames.

Thanks. That's interesting. Now that you mention it, I think I do remember those Mr. Coffee problems.

No irony at all. The Princess laundries are located in a fire rated compartment with a vestibuled entrance to prevent smoke migration should a fire occur. Would the coffee maker people be willing to go to a similar facility?

:D Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I just get a kick at how Cruise Criticers think sometimes. :D

:D Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I just get a kick at how Cruise Criticers think sometimes. :D

I really don't see the humor in life safety issues. Perhaps it is from a working life of dealing with building and fire regulations.

I didn't understand Aqua's reference to irony, but that may just be me.

The whole self-serve laundry issue isn't so much about fire prevention, it is about needing more crew hours to clean and maintain a space that generates a very small amount of revenue. The laundries also take away valuable revenue generating space in the form of cabins. It also complicates construction of the ship, as laundry dryer exhaust ducting must be kept separate from other exhaust ducting, and must have the ability to be cleaned out periodically. The dryer ducts from the main laundry have manholes and the crew gets into them for manual cleaning once a month. Dryer exhausts also require a method of fire suppression that other air ducts do not.

The real fire hazard with the self-serve laundries is the iron. This is hard wired so no one can take it away, it has not only the iron's intrinsic auto-off, but will have a timer in the wiring. It is also inspected regularly, which personal irons brought onboard aren't.

That same thing applies to the coffee makers, as far as the auto-off feature. You cannot rely on these, which is why UL approves small electrical appliances with the caveat that they are unplugged when not in use.

I find it interesting that NCL has coffee makers and Princess doesn't because of fire hazards. Yet, Princess will open the dividers on the balconies and NCL will not. Why? Fire hazard! Very confusing.

Cheers, Denise

I find it interesting that NCL has coffee makers and Princess doesn't because of fire hazards. Yet, Princess will open the dividers on the balconies and NCL will not. Why? Fire hazard! Very confusing.

Cheers, Denise

NCL has made a corporate decision, that their insurance underwriters approved, to have coffee makers. As I've said, the ones the ship provides are inspected routinely and tested. Princess could make the same decision, but has decided not to for a cost reason, not fire hazard. The only time that a fire hazard comes into play is with an appliance brought by a passenger, that is not regularly inspected and tested.

Princess will open balcony dividers at the Captain's discretion as to which ones and how many in a row, and how many in total, based on his appreciation of the fire hazard. I'm a bit surprised at this, since it was a Princess ship's fire that brought out the importance of continuing the fire boundaries out onto the balconies in the first place. NCL used to have the same policy, but decided that the number of complaints from guests when a Captain decided that your dividers couldn't be opened, while the ones on the deck below were, or yours were last cruise, that they decided to take the decision out of the Captain's hands.

I really don't see the humor in life safety issues. Perhaps it is from a working life of dealing with building and fire regulations.

My laughter had absolutely nothing to do with life safety issues...none whatsoever. It was all about what people post on these boards. The irony I'm referring to isn't about fire safety...it's about Cruise Critic. Let's see if I can explain...

On another board, there is a thread about launderettes. Some folks say some cruise lines do not have them because they are a fire hazard. The comments are made by people familiar with NCL and RCI, two lines that have coffee makers in their rooms. Yet, over here on the Princess boards, concerning a cruise line that does have launderettes, it's been uttered that Princess does not issue coffee makers because they are fire hazards.

See the irony I'm talking about...not about safety issues, but about postings on Cruise Critic?

I didn't understand Aqua's reference to irony, but that may just be me.

Howdy cheng. Did that clear it up a little? :)

My laughter had absolutely nothing to do with life safety issues...none whatsoever. It was all about what people post on these boards. The irony I'm referring to isn't about fire safety...it's about Cruise Critic. Let's see if I can explain...

On another board, there is a thread about launderettes. Some folks say some cruise lines do not have them because they are a fire hazard. The comments are made by people familiar with NCL and RCI, two lines that have coffee makers in their rooms. Yet, over here on the Princess boards, concerning a cruise line that does have launderettes, it's been uttered that Princess does not issue coffee makers because they are fire hazards.

See the irony I'm talking about...not about safety issues, but about postings on Cruise Critic?

Howdy cheng. Did that clear it up a little? :)

Yeah, I'm just not the irony catching type. :D But now I see your point. ;)

NCL has made a corporate decision, that their insurance underwriters approved, to have coffee makers. As I've said, the ones the ship provides are inspected routinely and tested. Princess could make the same decision, but has decided not to for a cost reason, not fire hazard. The only time that a fire hazard comes into play is with an appliance brought by a passenger, that is not regularly inspected and tested.

Princess will open balcony dividers at the Captain's discretion as to which ones and how many in a row, and how many in total, based on his appreciation of the fire hazard. I'm a bit surprised at this, since it was a Princess ship's fire that brought out the importance of continuing the fire boundaries out onto the balconies in the first place. NCL used to have the same policy, but decided that the number of complaints from guests when a Captain decided that your dividers couldn't be opened, while the ones on the deck below were, or yours were last cruise, that they decided to take the decision out of the Captain's hands.

Thanks! :)

Cheers, Denise

Not interested in the hassle or the mess. I can just see someone flushing their coffee filter full of grounds down the toilet and clogging the system for a bunch of other cruisers.

Reusable filter. If what's left will clog it then nobody should have seconds at the MDR. Or firsts ...

I leave everything electric out on the counter the first night for the steward to see. That is part of his job.

Edited by Wehwalt

Maybe depending on the ship and embarkation ports? Even though I don't understand what they were saying but this video definitely shows that electrical water kettles are provided on the Diamond Princess Japan sailing.

I will find out in a couple of weeks.