Coffee maker in cabin

IdRatherBCruisin

We order 2 sets of coffees from Room service. We took a couple of mugs from the HC to use in the cabin. (No, we left them:))

P.S. We were on a 32 day cruise and we took a large bunch of small bills to tip the room service people every day

Edited by Talisker92

I bring a one cup maker with some ground coffee. Avoids the wait for the coffee line and room service and when you consider tipping room service it's cheaper. And yes it has auto shut off

Edited by Wehwalt

We order 2 sets of coffees from Room service. We took a couple of mugs from the HC to use in the cabin. (No, we left them:))

P.S. We were on a 32 day cruise and we took a large bunch of small bills to tip the room service people every day

This is a good idea. ;)

No coffee makers, its a safety issue.

NCL has the coffee makers in the cabins. Not sure if it a safety issue but Princess just not wanting them in the cabins. I'm sure there more work for cabin attendants.

NCL has the coffee makers in the cabins. Not sure if it a safety issue but Princess just not wanting them in the cabins. I'm sure there more work for cabin attendants.

Not talking about the supplied ones.

Its the many different ones that passengers bring onboard. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No coffee makers, its a safety issue.

Unless you are in Great Britain and I think Australia, can't remember about Australia. It really doesn't make sense. I guess it must be a USA rule.

Confused by these responses. Can you bring a 2 cup "Hot Pot" with auto shutoff with you or not?

I thought I had read here that it was allowed if it had auto shut off. :confused:

Yes you are allowed to bring a kettle as long at it is auto shut off. I assume that is what is being referred to in post 5, as a apparatus to boil water for instant coffee is in no way a "coffee maker." There have been a few reports of checked bags with a kettle inside being routed to the naughty room and/or cabin stewards declaring that they have to report its presence. If that happens stand your ground and insist your kettle be returned once tested for safe operation.

I bring a one cup maker with some ground coffee. Avoids the wait for the coffee line and room service and when you consider tipping room service it's cheaper. And yes it has auto shut off

What type is it???:confused: And what brand??? Is it the kerig type or is it the type that the hotels have with a small carafe ???? Those all have auto shut off :D

What type is it???:confused: And what brand??? Is it the kerig type or is it the type that the hotels have with a small carafe ???? Those all have auto shut off :D

Black & Decker CM618. It is a bona fide coffeemaker

Unless you are in Great Britain and I think Australia, can't remember about Australia. It really doesn't make sense. I guess it must be a USA rule.

No coffee makers in Australia either. Or electric kettles.

I bring a one cup maker with some ground coffee.

If everyone did this, there would be an awful lot of used coffee grounds for disposal - this could be unpleasant, wet used grounds in the cabin trash bin - ugh! I have read, altho' I don't know if it's true, that one reason that the coffee in HC is made from syrup is to reduce the amount of used grounds for the ship to get rid of. I know that the IC does brewed coffee, but that's only a small percentage of all the coffee consumed on the ship.

I guess I don't see why folks would want to lug a coffee maker along when it is available 24/7 through room service or other venues on the ship. I wouldn't want some village idiot bringing on a coffee maker that didn't have auto shut off feature and ending up possibly with a fire hazard. That's one of the reasons Princess doesn't want any heating elements brought aboard because not everyone is responsible enough to use it properly. Fire is the worst fear of anyone on a ship at sea.

The other comment about the mess with coffee grounds is another reason to not use personal coffee makers, but I'm sure the stewards have seen a lot worse messes to clean up after.

Confused by these responses. Can you bring a 2 cup "Hot Pot" with auto shutoff with you or not?

I thought I had read here that it was allowed if it had auto shut off. :confused:

No, even with "auto shut off", they are not allowed. Mr. Coffee almost went out of business a while back due to lawsuits about the home fires caused by their coffee makers not shutting off.

Those lines that do provide coffee makers in the cabins inspect them monthly, so they know that the units are safe. Heck, I can remember when the electricians had one in their shop for testing, and left it on with no one there, and it went up in flames.

Edited by chengkp75

I guess I don't see why folks would want to lug a coffee maker along when it is available 24/7 through room service or other venues on the ship.

Coffee may be available around the clock, but I like the convenience of making it in the cabin when I want it.

I don't want to schedule my wake-up time by pre-ordering morning coffee. Don't really want to call room service and wait 20-30 minutes. Might not want to get dressed and trudge off to some other part of the ship.

What I want to do is get out of bed, bleary eyed and still in my boxers, and hit the "on" switch.

Every motel we've stayed in for years has a coffeemaker even though you can go to the lobby and get it. NCL has a coffeemaker, even though you can go to the buffet. It's a convenience. If it's a serious safety risk, would every motel have it?

And the mess is not an issue if the cruise line/motel uses those filter packs. So what I'd really like is what the OP asked about: Princess to put a coffeemaker in the cabins.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

If everyone did this, there would be an awful lot of used coffee grounds for disposal - this could be unpleasant, wet used grounds in the cabin trash bin - ugh! I have read, altho' I don't know if it's true, that one reason that the coffee in HC is made from syrup is to reduce the amount of used grounds for the ship to get rid of. I know that the IC does brewed coffee, but that's only a small percentage of all the coffee consumed on the ship.

I try to be considerate of others and accordingly when I do have occasion to put coffee grounds in the cabin trash basket I put them inside something impervious first. Beyond that it's the ships problem!

Edited by Wehwalt

I travel with an auto shut off kettle, unbreakable mugs, and a drip filter. Keep milk and cream from room service in the room fridge and we are good to go. I need tea first thing then some really good coffee. Kettle is kept unplugged when not in use. Adds very little weight to luggage and I stuff with items so no space is lost.

Edited by Alaskanb

The biggest danger to any ship is fire. The problem I have with those that say they are "safe", this is self accessed and I do not want to be at the mercy of someone that wants convenience.

Doug