Coffee on the Royal/Regal

OttawaCA

My tastebuds thought the free coffee at the HC improved but maybe not yours. ;)

You can check the manufacturer's website (WMF) and they only manufacturer coffee machines that use either ground or whole bean coffee. Here's a view of the Royal-class coffee machines in the HC which used ground coffee to make filtered coffee. I still prefer the IC's brewed coffee but sometimes the HC's filtered coffee is okay & to me better than on other ships making coffee from concentrate.

image.jpg.228c45637d1e26881cdc3e8bd129b3f2.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have heard that the coffee has improved?
Perhaps only in the Horizon Court where the coffee is brewed rather than from concentrated syrup. DW found the coffee to be good and she only used the IC for an occasional Americano. I have no idea what is served in the DR's.

Coffee has been a weak point on Princess in the past....the use of concentrate or syrup instead of beans or grinds is the reason. I am glad to hear they are now using grinds...hopefully in all venues.

Those WMF Cafemat machines, if maintained properly, do an amazing job of making vast quantities of coffee that taste pretty good. They even have a model that can make espresso drinks. That type also makes a particularly good cup of regular coffee, individually brewed like a french press. NCL used to have them in their buffet's, but have since disabled the espresso capability...

We found the coffee in the buffet on the Royal to be quite good. Those machines do a good job.

I agree that the coffee in HC is quite good. On previous ships, we would buy the coffee card and go down to the IC and get a good cup of coffee first and the refills up at HC.

<snip> NCL used to have them in their buffet's, but have since disabled the espresso capability...

What!:eek: When did NCL do this? At Christmas last year I was still able to do my espresso and regular mix for two and get us both a half-decent cup of coffee. NCL are losing more Brownie points with me if that is the case:mad:.

We sailed on the Regal last February.

Apparently the coffee served in the HC was made from beans not the coffee concentrate used on other Princess ships that we have sailed on in the past.

The HC coffee served on the Regal was surprisingly good IMHO.

I did purchase a coffee card for specialty coffees.

It wasn't until the middle of the cruise that I discovered the area in the pastry part of the HC also served the specialty coffees that were offered in the IC.

That saved me a trip in the morning and I could have a latte with my breakfast at the HC.

All of the Carnival ships I have been on had pretty good coffee in the lido buffet. The machines look exactly like the ones on the Royal Princess. This is a good change from the awful syrup coffee other Princess ships have. Good coffee is a big deal to me, so at least the coffee card could come to the rescue. But it was often an inconvenience to have to traipse down to the IC when you wanted your coffee somewhere else. I suppose there are bigger problems in the world, but it's good that this one has been fixed.

We sailed on the Regal last February.

Apparently the coffee served in the HC was made from beans not the coffee concentrate used on other Princess ships that we have sailed on in the past.

The HC coffee served on the Regal was surprisingly good IMHO.

I did purchase a coffee card for specialty coffees.

It wasn't until the middle of the cruise that I discovered the area in the pastry part of the HC also served the specialty coffees that were offered in the IC.

That saved me a trip in the morning and I could have a latte with my breakfast at the HC.

We'll be sailing on the Royal next year - I'll have to check to see if that's true on that ship too.

We'll be sailing on the Royal next year - I'll have to check to see if that's true on that ship too.

They have the same area in the Royal's Pastry Shop area however it did not have cold coffee drinks nor brewed coffee.

They have the same area in the Royal's Pastry Shop area however it did not have cold coffee drinks nor brewed coffee.

Thanks. So it'll depend on what we want. In the morning I'm more apt to want something hot anyway. In the afternoon we can go to the IC for our usual iced mocha.

Thanks. So it'll depend on what we want. In the morning I'm more apt to want something hot anyway. In the afternoon we can go to the IC for our usual iced mocha.

Unless it has changed, my wife said she got cold coffee drinks at the Princess Live bar but again no brewed coffee.

I bring a small jar of instant coffee with me! Coffee in the buffet areas of Carnival, RCCL and Princess leaves a lot to be desired and is not easily faced first thing in the morning.:p Luckily coffee in the MDR is very drinkable.

MARAPRINCE