Is snorkeling really worth it in Aruba???

scomar

I see many discussion that the snorkeling is not good in Aruba.

Is it worth spending the money on a catamaran snorkeling tour in Aruba? From what I see it runs about $80 to $100 per person to go on one of the top rated catamaran tours.

Don't want to spend the money if the snorkeling isn't that good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply:)

Scott

Many of the Catamaran snorkel tours take their passengers to the reef located off the coast between Boca and Arashi Beaches. We actually swim out to that same beach from Arashi...but this is a long swim best left to those who are very comfortable in the sea..with snorkel gear. You will certainly see your share of fish, and some reef...but it is far from a world class snorkel site. There are some other areas around the island that are only accessible by boat...but you would have to find out where your tour goes. For us, it is just a couple of dollars on a local bus out to Arashi Beach...from where we can access that same reef. So our total cost is about $5 per person (plus food/drink). At that price it is an OK place to snorkel. If paying big bucks for a tour.....we might have 2nd thoughts....unless we read some great reviews. 3 weeks ago we were at Arashi and actually swam out to where the tour boat folks were snorkeling...and it was not a particularly great day (few fish and the reef has been badly damaged and bleached).

Hank

The snorkeling is not amazing in Aruba. The clarity of the water is fine. There are fish. There are not amazing coral formations. With that being said, we did the Black Pearl sunset cruise/snorkel and it was fun. The atmosphere was laid back but informative. The crew really went out of their way to make sure you had a good time. By good time I mean...safe, informed, well fed, and if you want a drink you had one. They also helped me find a sea turtle while we were snorkeling and helped you get on and off the ship. We actually did two snorkel trips in one day. Our morning cruise was with the Jolly Pirate. They weren't helpful. They only seemed interested in pushing alcohol and the only time they assisted anyone was when they had to collect the snorkel gear.

We did the Antilla wreck snorkel (booked through Norwegian, but Pelican Island ran the excursion). I don't recommend it. We took a catamaran to the snorkel spot. We were given only about twenty minutes in the water in a very crowded area with lots of people kicking each other. Barely got to see anything. Then the excursion ran over 30 minutes late getting back to port (we had another activity planned for after the excursion).

Many of the Catamaran snorkel tours take their passengers to the reef located off the coast between Boca and Arashi Beaches. We actually swim out to that same beach from Arashi...but this is a long swim best left to those who are very comfortable in the sea..with snorkel gear. You will certainly see your share of fish, and some reef...but it is far from a world class snorkel site. There are some other areas around the island that are only accessible by boat...but you would have to find out where your tour goes. For us, it is just a couple of dollars on a local bus out to Arashi Beach...from where we can access that same reef. So our total cost is about $5 per person (plus food/drink). At that price it is an OK place to snorkel. If paying big bucks for a tour.....we might have 2nd thoughts....unless we read some great reviews. 3 weeks ago we were at Arashi and actually swam out to where the tour boat folks were snorkeling...and it was not a particularly great day (few fish and the reef has been badly damaged and bleached).

Hank

Also, Arashi is nice, but consider Malmok too. A rustic beach so bring everything you need with you. The snorkeling is pretty good, but you need to be experienced with a coral shore to enter the water.

AC

• 1 month later...

Our experience in Aruba with snorkeling is that the snorkeling is good (yes Bonaire, Klein Bonaire specifically is better but it's better than about 90% of the rest of the world so don't try comparing). However our experience of organized snorkeling tours in Aruba is this: 4 hr tour consists of 1 hr of round trip travel to catamaran, 1 hr AT MOST of combined snorkeling at 2-3 sites (all which are side by side, really just one spot), with about 2 hrs of sitting on the catamaran with open bar/party atmosphere--regardless of operator. We go back again in a couple weeks and are renting a car at the port and just making the 20 minute drive straight up the road to the Arashi/Boca Catalina/Malmock beaches where all those operators take everyone anyways. Except instead of paying $75-$100 per person, we are paying $50 for a car and have the entire day to snorkel/beach at our leisure....oh and for a stop at the supermarket on the way back where the true bargains for dutch chocolates are! You'll pay more at the port in Aruba for dutch chocolate than you will here in the U.S., but at their grocery stores it's 1/4 of that. Oh shoot--really got carried away didn't I? Sorry- what we've seen: all kinds of fish, schools of bait fish so thick you couldn't see through them, squid, star fish, eel, turtles....plenty of sea life, just not the big impressive fans/corals that places like Bonaire and Belize have. But I'm more interested in the sea life anyways

• Thanks 1

I should add that we've also been to Bonaire and Curacao. Bonaire has the best reef formations, Aruba had almost as much sea life. Curacao has good snorkeling but none of the organized tours take you to the few places that have it-again a car rental or a cab (negotiate an all day fare) is best there too.

Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!!

I can highly recommend a private snorkel excursion with Aruba Bob. (www.arubabob.com)

We are looking to go back and do a repeat of this excursion - it was amazing. They picked us up near the pier and then dropped us down at the Harley-Davidson store at our request (slightly south of the pier, walking distance) afterwards.

It is a snorkel that uses power-scooters is what they call them, basically it an assist scooter and isn't to be used for 100% of the snorkel. But it was fantastic for powering down into a dive to see something closer.

And it is a shore snorkel at a location called Mangel Halto, located north of the pier. You will snorkel around a mile and you don't have to worry about pictures either, your guide will take them and you will receive them via an email link before you cruise is over - almost before the day is over, I think our showed up the following morning. And they are INCLUDED!

Five star review on Trip Advisor (over 1250 reviews). Nope, I've no connection to Aruba Bob, but it was probably the best day excursion we've ever had and the best Aruba snorkel advice was to try them! Thanks CC!

PA314496-L.jpg

PA314522-L.jpg

PA314540-L.jpg

PA314616-L.jpg

PA314553-L.jpg

Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!! I can highly recommend a private snorkel excursion with Aruba Bob. (www.arubabob.com)PA314522-L.jpg

PA314540-L.jpg

WOW!! Super appreciate, Martha, these wonderful pictures. Super great and interesting. Departing Tuesday from Fort Lauderdale for the Panama Canal cruise to San Francisco. Our first stop is in Aruba. Kind of a tight time frame, but we are planning to do a ship excursion that involves: "Schooner Cruise, Antilla Shipwreck & Snorkeling, $60 pp, You will arrive at famous MooMba beach, where you will board the "Jolly Pirates," a teak schooner. As the trade winds snap the sails to life as you sail along Aruba's coastline, soaking up the sun, coastline and sea-life. The ship will visit three of Aruba's famed snorkeling sites which include two shallow reef areas and the wreck of the "Antilla," the German freighter that sank in shallow waters near the coast during World War II. The "Jolly Pirates" crew will demonstrate their acrobatic skills on the ship's yard arm. 7:30 - 11:30 am".

This might not be perfect tour with such a limited time there, but we had explored much of Aruba in a visit there two years ago. Added reactions, tips, thoughts, suggestions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 48,287 views for these postings.

Just an fyi from me......if you love the reefs, coral formations and sea life, remember to wear reef-safe sun screen. Our standard sun screens are killing the reefs very quickly. I had no idea this was a problem and on our last cruise we were told this by the captain of our snorkel boat. I will never ever get in the water without using reef-safe products. It's not that expensive and I'm sure it's available locally, but I ordered mine from Amazon at a very reasonable price.

Arashi Beach. Is it hard to get a cab back to the port from? We will be there on a Sunday. Is the snorkeling easily reached from the beach?

Snorkeling is easily reached from the beach, it starts at 20' out. Head south towards Boca Catilina. I can't help you on the taxi part but if the concession stand is open Sunday, they'll call one for you if you ask nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I was one who would have said snorkelling in Aruba was poor. The reef off Arashi Beach is ok but not that great and the shipwreck area is so-so.

This year we took a snorkel trip with TRANQUILO out of the marina opposite the Renaissance Hotel cost $85/pp and was the best snorkelling we have experienced in the ABC's. The sail boat takes you just over an hour south of the Marina past the Island Refuse dump and Desal Plant to an area called Spanish Lagoon, the trip last about 5 hours.

The water is crystal clear with a reef that will knock spots off the reef near Klein Bonaire. Absolutely fabulous especially the drift snorkel experience from the the rubber inflatable dingy beyond the inner reef.

You will just have to tolerate the Captain who is an abnoxious person with little manners and his small Jack Russell called Buster who is a pain in the **** continually barking and causing havoc.

I have been reading that if you are doing the ABC island that Bonaire is the best spot for snorkeling but I am only collecting info at this point have not done it....

Yes Bonaire has excellent snorkeling. If you are planning a cruise there and like to snorkel....then its a must. I'm personally a little bummed that my upcoming cruise goes to Aruba and Curacao and not Bonaire. Personally, I plan to take a bus to Arashi/Boca Catalina and try snorkeling from the beach. I guess its "hit or miss" but its still better than trying to snorkel at our beaches at home!

I should add that we've also been to Bonaire and Curacao. Bonaire has the best reef formations, Aruba had almost as much sea life. Curacao has good snorkeling but none of the organized tours take you to the few places that have it-again a car rental or a cab (negotiate an all day fare) is best there too.

Really?? Shoot! I picked a tour in Curacao mainly because the beach that is included came highly recommended for snorkeling. It is Porto Marie beach. Oh well. The beach looks to be pretty anyway, even if the snorkeling isn't good.