HAL to announce new celebrity voyage(s) Thursday (2/9/17)

sppunk

Holland America should stick to providing great cruises and services that their loyal customers have come to appreciate instead of the cutbacks and eliminations and "changes" . Maybe the changes need to be in the executives in Seattle. Stop spending money on "great new ideas" . We would rather have nice libraries, real movie theaters, promenades with deck chairs, and lots of spaces to relax and watch the sea. Cruises are for relaxation and a chance to see new places. We don't go out to sea for all that other stuff.

New cruisers couldn't care less about libraries, promenades and movie theatres. All cruise companies need to focus on getting the non cruisers onboard. I will guarantee you libraries aren't going to do that.

New cruisers couldn't care less about libraries, promenades and movie theatres. All cruise companies need to focus on getting the non cruisers onboard. I will guarantee you libraries aren't going to do that.

Thx, my thoughts exactly.

We booked a Koningsdam cruise yesterday for next January and I guarantee you "nice libraries, real movie theaters, promenades with deck chairs..." were the furthest things on our minds. The music venues however sealed the deal.

I think the 'extras' being offered sound interesting.

What am I missing? I'm not seeing anything 'extra' or new. Onboard book club isn't new. Actually what has been going on with the HAL libraries makes it laughable. Oprah's taste in books for her own book club didn't appeal to me in the least anyway. Tai Chi isn't new on HAL. Exercise classes have been around for years. Cooking demonstrations, again nothing new. Meditation? Who needs a class in that?!?!? I'm entirely missing the point of this tie in. :confused:

Meditation? Who needs a class in that?!?!? I'm entirely missing the point of this tie in. :confused:

I attend meditation classes most Saturdays when I am at home. It helps me destress from my week and unclutter my mind. People with chronic illnesses, facing a major surgery and recovery as well as treatment (one example would be chemo) can experience benefits from meditation. It can help lower one's blood pressure. The tie in would be to other healthful offerings to choose from (i.e. exercise, healthy cooking/eating).

I think these things represent a recognition by the cruise line that their future rests on serving a different kind of passenger than those who have cruised often in the past. There is no secret to offering a bevy of cruises. There is nothing uniquely profitable about cruising to the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, or even the Mediterranean. The way to survive in a growth driven business environment is to offer something no one else could possibly offer even if they wanted to.

The mechanisms of cruising are not mysterious. Anyone can accomplish them given the time and money. So uniqueness can only come from exclusives and being the first to offer something new. That is the future of cruising, just like it is the future of every other discretionary leisure expense.

I think these things represent a recognition by the cruise line that their future rests on serving a different kind of passenger than those who have cruised often in the past. There is no secret to offering a bevy of cruises. There is nothing uniquely profitable about cruising to the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, or even the Mediterranean. The way to survive in a growth driven business environment is to offer something no one else could possibly offer even if they wanted to.

The mechanisms of cruising are not mysterious. Anyone can accomplish them given the time and money. So uniqueness can only come from exclusives and being the first to offer something new. That is the future of cruising, just like it is the future of every other discretionary leisure expense.

I understand that HAL does what it considers prudent for its financial survival. That doesn't mean long time customers have to be happy with their decisions. I was booked on the July cruise, but I had no problem changing to another cruise. Nothing personal against O, I just wanted no part of any celebrity production. I am hopeful that the O changes to my new cruise will be unobtrusive. I, like many others, just like to be left to our own devices while cruising.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I understand that HAL does what it considers prudent for its financial survival. That doesn't mean long time customers have to be happy with their decisions.
I totally agree. Being happy -- actually: holding expectations that govern one's happiness or disappointment -- is a personal decision we each make for ourselves.

I attend meditation classes most Saturdays when I am at home. It helps me destress from my week and unclutter my mind. People with chronic illnesses, facing a major surgery and recovery as well as treatment (one example would be chemo) can experience benefits from meditation. It can help lower one's blood pressure. The tie in would be to other healthful offerings to choose from (i.e. exercise, healthy cooking/eating).

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. My point wasn't that meditation wasn't worthwhile, but rather that I don't see a need to do it in a group environment. Exercise classes and healthy eating have been available on HAL prior to this tie in to O Magazine.

I wonder how the price of Oprah tai-chi and Oprah book clubs will compare to the price of the old Holland America tai-chi and book clubs.

You may have hit the nail on the head. The previous book club and Tai Chi classes didn't have fees associated with the. Maybe HAL feels that some will be willing to pay extra to participate now that the Oprah name will be attached. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. My point wasn't that meditation wasn't worthwhile, but rather that I don't see a need to do it in a group environment.
The same could be said about yoga, I suppose. For some, though, aboard a cruise ship is an opportunity to check into some things that they wouldn't have time for during their routine life.

I am excited about this news, I love Oprah, I would sail with her anytime.....and yes I am a Weight Watcher and would love to see some healthier choices....

Thankfully we have so many choices. I did not want to sail with any celebrity, so I changed mine. Hope you have a great time on yours!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

This is amazing to me. I have never heard of or met anyone who doesn't like Oprah!

Now you havvefound some of us who do not like Oprah. (No need to say what I don't like. ). :(:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I learned she was going to be on a cruise I had b ooked, I am quite sure I would cancel.

Thank goodness the O cruises are limited to just four and that they are all listed. It will be a different crowd for sure and I hope these cruises are all charters so regular cruisers are not impacted. The inspirational speakers will be from the Soulful Experience or some such name.

I wonder how many, if any, beyond the initial four cruises will take place. I am okay with them just as long as I am not on any of them. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

AND that O magazine is such a waste. :(

It's not Oprah I have a problem with (never met the woman so no idea rather I like her or not) specifically, it's this whole mind set that "common" people need some celebrity to tell them who to vote for, how to dress, what to read, what to eat and on and on. That celebrities are some how better at life than we are and so we should follow them. With a few exceptions celebrities are the biggest group of dysfunctional people on the planet, the drug issues, the relationship issues, the delusion that they are important, the need to have their egos stroked and in the case of some of the women the weird competition to see who can get in the news wearing the least amount of clothing. I will give them this, they are good for a laugh when I have nothing better to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is amazing to me. I have never heard of or met anyone who doesn't like Oprah.

Well, as you can see from the postings here, there are plenty of people, including me, that don't like Oprah.

I'm just grateful that she's not going to be on my Alaskan cruise!