Recommendations for one day

Vineyard View

We are booked next year on a cruise out of San Juan that travels up the Amazon.

Our route takes us to several Caribbean islands, including this port.....and after reading through this thread I am beginning to wonder why Viking has chosen this port unless it is a matter of logistics and/or in keeping with smaller locations with a smaller ship. Hopefully I am totally off base on that, and you can provide me with assistance.

This stop will occur directly following a sea day, so I am thinking we may want to venture out for a bit.

So that said, I would appreciate input from those of you who have visited Trinidad & Tobago - - and what you would recommend for a one day visit..... is there anything unique and beautiful.....

Edited by Vineyard View

At this point, the itinerary reads 'the Port of Scarborough'.

And I thank you very much!!

I am open to private tours - we do prefer to move with a smaller group or by ourselves. That said, some places - ship excursions are okay based on what there is to offer, and the possibilities of just getting someplace and back using the excursions as transport.

Port of Scarborough is Tobago. Not sure what your interests are but a very nice beach is Pigeon Point, its near the airport, maybe 10-15 minutes from Scarborough. There's an entrance fee and it has facilities, here's the website for more info:

http://www.pigeonpoint.tt/

I'm not sure they take US dollars, just have the cab driver stop at an ATM and withdraw some TT. Take out enough for some lunch, there's several places to eat, local favorites roti, macaroni pie, curry dishes, flying fish.

If you like hiking, bird watching, nice scenery and more of the local scene head the interior forest reserve and/or towns in the north Speyside and Charlotteville. Close to Charlotteville is a picturesque secluded beach, Pirates Bay, its a bit of a hike from town and a lot of stairs but alternatively you can hire a fishing boat to take you around the point and pick you up at a set time.

Thank you RustyButtons.

We do like exploring.....would you recommend the interior forests etc via cab or private tour?

I will also check out Pigeonpoint!! I know we will want some beach/swim/snorkeling time at some of the ports so maybe this will be one of them.

The activity is low for this port, so will that mean fewer people in a pristine location? Or is this low activity because it really isn't all that, so to speak. Just curious - and I would rather know prior so to allocate activity choices.

Thank you RustyButtons.

We do like exploring.....would you recommend the interior forests etc via cab or private tour?

I will also check out Pigeonpoint!! I know we will want some beach/swim/snorkeling time at some of the ports so maybe this will be one of them. Also, are there umbrellas/lounge chairs/snorkel gear for rent here?

The activity on CC seems low for this port, so will that mean fewer people in a pristine location? Or is this low activity because it really isn't all that, so to speak. Just curious - and I would rather know prior so to allocate activity choices.

Tobago is fabulous, but has remained under the radar for mass tourism. Mainly it's hard to get to, you have to really want to go there, no direct flights from the US, you fly via Trinidad. Airlines have tried and failed over the years. AA had a flight from SJU but that didn't last long, then Delta tried a weekly flight from ATL, that didn't last long either, in fact they cancelled the flight when we were booked to go, they could get us there but return flight and those thereafter permanently cancelled. They agreed to convert our tickets to a one way and refund the difference then we separately booked a flight back via Trinidad.

It's a beautiful island with a mixture of things to do, not just beaches. Just hire a cab to take you where you want to go. For the forest there's local guides when you get there, some will rent rubber boots if it's particularly muddy from rain and lead you into the forest. Go to Speyside afterwards, very beautiful, have lunch at Jemma's or the Blue Waters Inn. There's also Little Tobago, you'll need to hire a boat in Speyside or there may be some scheduled boats, just inquire when you get to Speyside. There's good snorkeling in the tiny cove on Little Tobago and hiking trails.

The other popular activity on Tobago is going to "Sunday School" in Buccoo every Sunday night. It's far from what the name implies, it's a street party with steel pan bands, food stalls, very local experience.

There's also some forts but if you've been to various Caribbean islands they are nothing to knock yourself out to see, a few cannons. And there's the mystery tombstone in Plymouth, quick stop if you're in the area, don't make a special trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I actually live in Trinidad and Tobago. Tobago is great for the day, definitely check out Pigeon Point.

I agree with Rustybuttons123, just depends on what you want to do on that day.

It's funny I go on cruises to other ports, never really considered people coming here on cruises (there has been a recent increase in the number of cruise ships coming to the island)

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Wodyer! I appreciate this.

We enjoy beaches in some places, but we are more into exploring to be honest - we will be sure to check out Pigeon Point.

Would you taxi, private tour......how would you recommend exploring your home?

If you're headed to Pigeon Point you could take a taxi since it is not too far away (about a 15 minute drive, though it can take longer if there is traffic)

If you are interested in checking out the forest reserve I'd recommend taking a private tour.

Saw this video on youtube, gives you an idea of what some of the beaches look like :)

Edited by wodyer

• 3 weeks later...
If you're headed to Pigeon Point you could take a taxi since it is not too far away (about a 15 minute drive, though it can take longer if there is traffic)

If you are interested in checking out the forest reserve I'd recommend taking a private tour.

Saw this video on youtube, gives you an idea of what some of the beaches look like :)

Hi Wodyer

We would like to go to Pigeon Point Beach for a while and then take a boat out to the nylon pool.

Do you have any idea of how much a taxi to Pigeon Point would cost?

Also, how much is a boat out to the Nylon Pool?

Or is it better to book a tour to do the whole thing?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by chamima

Hi Wodyer

We would like to go to Pigeon Point Beach for a while and then take a boat out to the nylon pool.

Do you have any idea of how much a taxi to Pigeon Point would cost?

Also, how much is a boat out to the Nylon Pool?

Or is it better to book a tour to do the whole thing?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey,

That is something you can definitely do on your own.

A taxi is around 12 USD, you can get one from the taxi stand outside the port.

The glass bottom boat is around $25 USD. This includes snorkeling gear and stops at both the Nylon Pool and Buccoo Reef.

If you're doing it on your own I would advise that you go early since depending on the day there can be traffic heading back to Scarborough.

Oh I also forgot there is an entry fee for Pigeon Point as well, around $3 USD

http://www.pigeonpoint.tt/fast-facts

If you are really on a budget and don't want to pay an entry fee there is another beach nearby called Store Bay. Entry to this beach is free and there are shops there that sell food and souvenirs (Pigeon Point also has them)

Store Bay is pretty good and is nice for bathing. Glass Bottom boats also leave from here and give the same tours that the Pigeon Point ones give.

Store Bay is about a 3 minute drive from Pigeon Point.

http://storebay.tt/

Hey,

That is something you can definitely do on your own.

A taxi is around 12 USD, you can get one from the taxi stand outside the port.

The glass bottom boat is around $25 USD. This includes snorkeling gear and stops at both the Nylon Pool and Buccoo Reef.

If you're doing it on your own I would advise that you go early since depending on the day there can be traffic heading back to Scarborough.

Thanks!

Is that per person?

I got a quote of $40 pp for someone to take us to Pigeon Point at 8:30 , 2 hours at the beach, then snorkeling and then back to the ship. He said we'd be on the 11:00 snorkeling boat and back to the ship by 2:30.

Just didn't know if I wanted to be on a time table .

Edited by chamima

Good information here! Thank you for all the responses. The video was fun and scenery looks beautiful. I am Still on the bench about what we will do.....DIY or private tour.....if we decide to DIY, are there walking options from the port that are good, or should we definitely plan on some type of vehicle transportation?

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks!

Is that per person?

I got a quote of $40 pp for someone to take us to Pigeon Point at 8:30 , 2 hours at the beach, then snorkeling and then back to the ship. He said we'd be on the 11:00 snorkeling boat and back to the ship by 2:30.

Just didn't know if I wanted to be on a time table .

Hi,

Yes the prices I mentioned were per person.

What time does your ship leave Tobago?

If it is later in the day and you are up for taking a walk I'd recommend walking from Pigeon Point to Store Bay to check out the local shops as well as the beach there. You could get a taxi on the main road there to go back to the ship if you are flexible.

In terms of walking options from the port, definitely take a walk through Scarborough and soak in the local island life. Lots of small stores and food places there. You should be able to pick up a taxi from there that will take you to the Crown Point/Pigeon Point beach areas (Confirm the price with the driver) You definitely cannot walk from Scarborough to the beach :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Wodyer......I am curious as to your opinion on Nylon Beach.....if we only have one day, we do want to enjoy some of the town if it has interesting sites as you mentioned.....as well as getting out to explore the island. So is it feasible to go to Pigeon beach for a couple or three hours, Nylon pool, and have time to explore the town close to the ship in one day? Morris that just cramming too much into it all!!!?

It's definitely possible. When you go to Pigeon Point beach you can take one of those glass bottom boat tours which will take you to Buccoo Reef and the Nylon Pool (it's a shallow patch of sand in the middle of the sea)

It can all be done in the space of 3 hours I'd say.

Edited by wodyer

Hi,

Yes the prices I mentioned were per person.

What time does your ship leave Tobago?

If it is later in the day and you are up for taking a walk I'd recommend walking from Pigeon Point to Store Bay to check out the local shops as well as the beach there. You could get a taxi on the main road there to go back to the ship if you are flexible.

In terms of walking options from the port, definitely take a walk through Scarborough and soak in the local island life. Lots of small stores and food places there. You should be able to pick up a taxi from there that will take you to the Crown Point/Pigeon Point beach areas (Confirm the price with the driver) You definitely cannot walk from Scarborough to the beach :)

Our experience this past Dec. was that we started to do a walking tour of Scarborough but a very nice (and very persistent) young man began talking to us and his price ($3 each) convinced us to go to Pigeon Point first and do the walking tour later. It turned out to be a very windy day so we never did take the glass bottom boat to Nylon Pool ( good thing we hadn't booked in advance).

On our return we asked the driver about a Roti restaurant I had heard of and wanted to go to. He knew it but said it and many other businesses were closed because they were still celebrating Christmas (this was Dec. 27)

So be flexible in your plans! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello again. I just received the port times for our trip. It looks like we are only there rom noon until 6:00 - being a S,Allen ship it is easy to disembark and return, but finding out we do not have a full day switches it up for us.....we had decided to go to Pidgeon Point as well as the reef and Nylon Pool, closing it out with shopping/wandering around in town.

I am now certain that isn't going to work! So that all said, we will appreciate hearing suggestions - just Pidgeon Point/beach time? We will be there on Jan 2nd.....will businesses and shops be open or closed from the holiday?

Thanks once again