Best way to get to Maho Beach from Port

How is the traffic getting back to port from Malo Beach? We are tight on time and I'm worried about missing "all aboard"!

We've never had an issue....but I am so paranoid that I insist on leaving before 3:00 for a 5:00pm departure. There is a drawbridge that we have never caught.....but it makes me nervous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have visited St M several times -- we've done the island tour and now we go directly (by Taxi) to Maho Beach -- specifically Sunset Bar and Grill and spend the entire time we are at the port. The music is great and Desperado beer is the best in the world! (I am not biased by any means! ) -- although they've stopped selling the basic Desperado -- so sad! the 'other' bar and grill at the opposite end of Maho Beach (just a few steps away) now sells the plain Desperado so we will go there on our next visit.

We love just hanging out visiting and watching the planes and jets land - -just a 'Margaritaville' kinda day -- fun and lots of R&R......the largest jets do not come in till after 1:00 so when our departure time is at 5:00 we leave the bar at 3:00 to give us plenty of time to return to ship -- so we might not get to see the largest jets that time but it is still lots of fun.

There are PLENTY of taxis and vans waiting to take folks back to the ship -- very organized.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

And there were plenty of vans and taxis waiting right at the port too?

yes...... you walk thru the shopping area and the taxis/vans are in the back.... it is a bit crazy… But there are plenty of workers who direct you to the correct line for Maho Beach. There is no reason to try to call a taxi… There are plenty in the designated area.

We'll be there end of next week and want to go to Maho to plane watch. Any updates on taxi versus public transportation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By public transportation do you mean a city bus? Spend a couple extra $'s and take a taxi...easy and much quicker.

• 2 weeks later...
It was fun even if there weren't many biggies coming in when we were there. I did get a couple videos of some bigger planes but the KLM and Air France plane stopped coming a couple weeks back.

KLM is bringing smaller planes but the Air France is an Airbus 380 which is a very big double decker plane.

Edited by Karysa

So I believe we will be in St Maarten from 8 am to either 5 or 6 pm. Definitely have to go see the planes at Maho. Wondering how far is Maho to Mullet or vice versa? And is it a safe walking distance?

Also once you walk off the ship are there shops and eateries? Other words, worth spending a couple hours there or should we just take our time getting off the ship? Because it seems being at Maho is better in the afternoon versus morning to see the larger planes.

Thanks for any info.

Gal

So I believe we will be in St Maarten from 8 am to either 5 or 6 pm. Definitely have to go see the planes at Maho. Wondering how far is Maho to Mullet or vice versa? And is it a safe walking distance?

Also once you walk off the ship are there shops and eateries? Other words, worth spending a couple hours there or should we just take our time getting off the ship? Because it seems being at Maho is better in the afternoon versus morning to see the larger planes.

Thanks for any info.

Gal

We just did this in October. About a 10-15 minute walk. 20 to 30 if you are not very mobile. We rented a car for the day and ended up at Mullet. We stayed there and swam/ate. Then around 2ish we walked over to Maho. If you have your cell phone with you, prior to your trip or on the ship if you have internet access/wifi, download the google maps app with the directions of mullet to maho and you will have a walking guide to get in between the two places but honestly, just follow the plane sounds. And of course you will see them when walking over. There is no way we were driving over there and trying to find parking. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

We are coming in on Carnival Vista into Port St. Maarten and we want to go to Sunset Bar and Grill: Maho Beach, but I'm a little confused.

Can we pick up a water taxi from this port? Where will it take us to? Then taxi from there to Maho Beach?

Current pricing would be great - there are three of us.

Thanks in advance.

I think the water taxi was $7 PP and it was good all day. U could ride back and forth the whole day if u choose to do so. Yes it was right outside where our ship docked. We went out to street and got a van type cab as I recall. Don't remember fare. Under $10 each. We were there week b4 thanksgiving.

We are coming in on Carnival Vista into Port St. Maarten and we want to go to Sunset Bar and Grill: Maho Beach, but I'm a little confused.

Can we pick up a water taxi from this port? Where will it take us to? Then taxi from there to Maho Beach?

Current pricing would be great - there are three of us.

Thanks in advance.

The Water Taxi only runs within Great Bay, between the Cruise Facility and downtown Philipsburg.

To Maho, it is the same taxi fare from downtown or from the Cruise Facility.

gary

• 1 month later...

I have never been to St. Maarten... and after reading through the posts, I have a question for you all! When you get off the ship do you have to take the water taxi? Is there anything near the port to do without taking the water taxi? Is Maho beach the only beach where you can see the planes? If so, can you take a cab or bus directly from the port and skip the water taxi? Thanks!!

I have never been to St. Maarten... and after reading through the posts, I have a question for you all! When you get off the ship do you have to take the water taxi? Is there anything near the port to do without taking the water taxi? Is Maho beach the only beach where you can see the planes? If so, can you take a cab or bus directly from the port and skip the water taxi? Thanks!!

When you get off the ship there will be quite a few shops you can browse through. Some stand alone cart vendors as well. If you want to leave the port area, you could walk on the street but the port is somewhat separate from any real attractions of the island.

Taking a water taxi will not get you to Maho Beach. Instead you will need to take a 30 minute taxi ride. Maho beach is the only beach to see the planes and get a good feel/compassion to what you see in the pictures.

Maho beach is small and not very relaxing. It's loud and there is a lot of foot traffic from people coming to watch the planes, take their pictures and leave. Having been there once, is enough. There is so much more of the island to see and experience.

yes..... have to walk through the shopping area to the back for all the taxis and vans for excursions and individuals are located

The Sunset bar & restaurant at Maho beach has expanded in the last couple years so there is more places to sit & watch the planes & people on the beach. The waves were very high (well over 5') this past January so we were not able to swim but many people was swimming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...
How far is the walk from the port to Maho beach?

It's only about 8 miles, but it is really not walkable, in my opinion.

There is quite a bit of vertical change along the way, and several stretches which would not be pedestrian friendly.

gary

It's only about 8 miles, but it is really not walkable, in my opinion.

There is quite a bit of vertical change along the way, and several stretches which would not be pedestrian friendly.

gary

ONLY 8 miles :')

For those that want to get some exercise in I would walk the 15 minutes back and forth to the bus stop in Phillipsburg and chose a second beach to visit along with Maho. Both Mullet and Simpson Bay beach can be reached within an easy 15 minute walk in opposite directions of Maho. If you choose Simpson Bay you would need to walk back to Maho in order to catch the bus back but from Mullet you can just walk back to the main road on the way to Maho.

Maho is not an all day beach to me but makes a great combo with many other beaches or activities.