P&O Arcadia - why did HAL sell it?

Australian family

The ship was ordered for HAL as the fifth Vista Class ship but transferred after construction started to P&O and fitted/finished to their specifications. The same thing happened with the Carnival Splendor. Ordered and started construction for Costa but transferred and finished for Carnival. At the times the decisions were made it was felt by Carnival Corp that they capacity was not needed for the original brand but could deliver better results in another division within the group.

One can read about all the Vista-class ships and their derivatives here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista-class_cruise_ship

igraf

The ship was ordered for HAL as the fifth Vista Class ship but transferred after construction started to P&O and fitted/finished to their specifications. The same thing happened with the Carnival Splendor. Ordered and started construction for Costa but transferred and finished for Carnival. At the times the decisions were made it was felt by Carnival Corp that they capacity was not needed for the original brand but could deliver better results in another division within the group.

I'm sailing on Arcadia in June, so I've been doing some digging recently. Arcadia was actually transferred from HAL to Cunard to be the new Queen Victoria. Her funnel is typical of Cunard, and I understand that even some of the interior fittings were of Cunard specification. It was midway through the furnishing process when Carnival Corp. decided to transfer the ship to P&O. She had a refit in 2013.

I'm especially excited that she is an adults-only ship.

The Arcadia was supposed to be HAL's fifth Vista class ship but was transferred to Cunard to become the Queen Victoria. Before launching she was transferred to P&O and named Arcadia. A new Queen Victoria was then ordered in 2004.

The Arcadia was supposed to be HAL's fifth Vista class ship but was transferred to Cunard to become the Queen Victoria. Before launching she was transferred to P&O and named Arcadia. A new Queen Victoria was then ordered in 2004.

One of the more intriguing parts of this story is if the 5th Vista would have remained with HAL, what they would have named her. As we all know, the current four Vistas are named for each of the four directions of the compass

Interesting information on the 5th Vista class ship. I had the same thoughts Copper - maybe they were planning on adding another point on the compass just so they could name the ship! :)

Noord-Oosterdam? (North-Easterdam)? ;)

Perhaps a good question to pose to HAL historian Captain Albert

One of the more intriguing parts of this story is if the 5th Vista would have remained with HAL, what they would have named her. As we all know, the current four Vistas are named for each of the four directions of the compass

"Opdam" of "Onderdam"/"Updam" or "Downdam"?

I've always had an offshoot of this thought process with regard to the decor on the vistas.

Penguins = South Pole. But they're on the ship named for the east.

Polar bears = North Pole. But they're on the ship named for the south. The same ship with the polar bears oddly assigned also has a seahorse for the atrium sculpture.

Just something that's always nagged me a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've always had an offshoot of this thought process with regard to the decor on the vistas.

Penguins = South Pole. But they're on the ship named for the east.

Polar bears = North Pole. But they're on the ship named for the south. The same ship with the polar bears oddly assigned also has a seahorse for the atrium sculpture.

Just something that's always nagged me a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never thought of that; interesting

Years ago, just prior to the "S" class beginning construction or possibly even earlier there was a rendering in a maritime publication of an HAL ship design with the name STELLENDAM.

As it was never used then, it might have come off the shelf for the fifth Vista.

Don't know what it translates to or signifies.

Years ago, just prior to the "S" class beginning construction or possibly even earlier there was a rendering in a maritime publication of an HAL ship design with the name STELLENDAM.

As it was never used then, it might have come off the shelf for the fifth Vista.

Don't know what it translates to or signifies.

Stellendam is a town, as well as a port, in the province of Zuid Holland, the Netherlands.

HAL has never had a 'Stellendam' but I understand that, as originally planned, the four "S"-class ships were to have names that all started with an "S" - Statendam, Stellendam, perhaps Schiedam and Spaarndam. That never carried though and they became Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam

Edited by Copper10-8