Aboard the Reflection now...

Cruiseyorkshire

Evening all,

Thought I would share some live reports from the Reflection.

We're aboard with Captain Skylogiannis and Sue Denning as Director. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us this week!

Embarkation was a very quiet affair, we arrived from Rome at around 11.30 (and hour and 10 drive after a stop at the Azamara Journey to drop off some companions). Suprised how many people were not there- thought we may be cruising with a very small number for five minutes! On Aquaclass so we were straight through but the girl couldn't find our key cards- so took a bit longer.

Jumped on the ship and she's looking well. All areas were absolutely spotless- 10/10. Went up to the solarium for some quiet time- lots of children on this sailing it seems running around everywhere. Maybe just the first day of the holiday bug.

The Spa cafe was quiet too but we stupidly went to the zoo for lunch at around 2.30 after soaking in the hot tub! It seems the entire contingent of our cruise had joined us there... Lesson learned for future!

Our AQ cabin, 1605, has an extra deep balcony so it's good. The toiletries smell a bit odd this time- very cucumber- so getting a wash is a bit like making a salad. No sparkling wine in stateroom either- have X stopped this?

One thing bothering us is the persistence of pushing beverage packages and the specialities on board. I've never been on a cruise where they've been pushed so hard even though I usually class the first day as the hard sell day. We have a classic package (don't drink much!) but I usually always have the highest package maybe this is why I haven't noticed this, but we haven't yet given our card to someone without them telling us to upgrade and really going for it. Even a waiter from Blu was pushing the specialities on us when we have booked for Blu, and I said I think the menu with the fillet mignon is just fantastic for me tonight, and he turned his nose up and curled his lip? I'm so suprised by this and more than a little uncomfortable at how hard they are going at it.

To be honest I'm not sure if it's because we are a young couple but it seems that everyone we try and politely decline is very angry at us for not upgrading or buying speciality! (We paid an arm and a leg already, thanks X!)

They want you to upgrade because the gratuity goes directly to them. That's why the big push.

Could you find out if Sue Denning will be on Reflection for the Transatlantic.

Enjoy your cruise. You'll be very happy with Blu as your own personal Specialty Restaurant.

I will endeavour to find our sparkling wine then!

I didn't realise the gratuity went straight to them, now I realise why! It's a very hard sell to be honest and very uncomfortable.

The cabin is fabulous! Jealous of our neighbours hot tub though..!

We will ask Sue indeed, do you have the date? She's at the Societyx night tonight so I'm sure we will interact then.

I am not on the Reflection until next April for the TA. We have never experienced a hard sell on any Celebrity ship, but I am always on the lookout. Hope this tones down for you during the cruise. Anyway, if someone gets too extreme, tell the desk! You paid for this cruise and deserve great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not on the Reflection until next April for the TA. We have never experienced a hard sell on any Celebrity ship, but I am always on the lookout. Hope this tones down for you during the cruise. Anyway, if someone gets too extreme, tell the desk! You paid for this cruise and deserve great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It should calm down in a few days.

They want you to upgrade because the gratuity goes directly to them. That's why the big push.

Could you find out if Sue Denning will be on Reflection for the Transatlantic.

Enjoy your cruise. You'll be very happy with Blu as your own personal Specialty Restaurant.

Could you clarify about the gratuity? Do you mean the upcharge or grat for bev package, dining up charge for the package..or gratiity added to that or ??? What do your actual servers receive? And what if you tip extra (cash or on your acct)...we have no need to upgrade from Classic and are happy with Blu...dining elsewhere only once or twice per cruise.

Hope Op enjoys the cruises and shoos away pushy sales pitches

Could you clarify about the gratuity? Do you mean the upcharge or grat for bev package, dining up charge for the package..or gratiity added to that or ??? What do your actual servers receive? And what if you tip extra (cash or on your acct)...we have no need to upgrade from Classic and are happy with Blu...dining elsewhere only once or twice per cruise.

Hope Op enjoys the cruises and shoos away pushy sales pitches

I had the Classic package on Summit this past June. I was hounded as soon as I ordered my first drink if I wanted to upgrade to the Premium package. I talked with one of the servers who I became friendly with who told me they get to keep the 18% gratuity if they get someone to upgrade. So he gets to keep the $1.80 per day X 7 days = $12.60 for himself. I guess that's why the "hawk" everyone on the first day to upgrade since almost everyone comes on board with Celebrity giving them the Classic package.

Now, if you purchased the package from scratch once you board, I would assume the 18% would be pooled.

Can't speak for the dining packages. I was told that that purchase goes directly to Celebrity, and any additional tip given in cash direct to the server, the server gets to keep that. I've heard different stories of where the tip goes in specialty restaurants of you write it in on the ship, so if you want to reward a particular server, probably best to give them cash direct.

Evening all,

Thought I would share some live reports from the Reflection.

We're aboard with Captain Skylogiannis and Sue Denning as Director. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us this week!

Embarkation was a very quiet affair, we arrived from Rome at around 11.30 (and hour and 10 drive after a stop at the Azamara Journey to drop off some companions). Suprised how many people were not there- thought we may be cruising with a very small number for five minutes! On Aquaclass so we were straight through but the girl couldn't find our key cards- so took a bit longer.

Jumped on the ship and she's looking well. All areas were absolutely spotless- 10/10. Went up to the solarium for some quiet time- lots of children on this sailing it seems running around everywhere. Maybe just the first day of the holiday bug.

The Spa cafe was quiet too but we stupidly went to the zoo for lunch at around 2.30 after soaking in the hot tub! It seems the entire contingent of our cruise had joined us there... Lesson learned for future!

Our AQ cabin, 1605, has an extra deep balcony so it's good. The toiletries smell a bit odd this time- very cucumber- so getting a wash is a bit like making a salad. No sparkling wine in stateroom either- have X stopped this?

One thing bothering us is the persistence of pushing beverage packages and the specialities on board. I've never been on a cruise where they've been pushed so hard even though I usually class the first day as the hard sell day. We have a classic package (don't drink much!) but I usually always have the highest package maybe this is why I haven't noticed this, but we haven't yet given our card to someone without them telling us to upgrade and really going for it. Even a waiter from Blu was pushing the specialities on us when we have booked for Blu, and I said I think the menu with the fillet mignon is just fantastic for me tonight, and he turned his nose up and curled his lip? I'm so suprised by this and more than a little uncomfortable at how hard they are going at it.

To be honest I'm not sure if it's because we are a young couple but it seems that everyone we try and politely decline is very angry at us for not upgrading or buying speciality! (We paid an arm and a leg already, thanks X!)

Enjoy your cruise!!! We sail on the Reflection 10 night out of Rome in 2 weeks from today (September 9th)!!! We are in an aft Sky Suite this time, but on our last cruise, January 2014, we were in 1605. Loved, loved, loved that cabin! We were jealous of the Royal Suite to the left, too. The Persian Garden warm tile loungers were wonderful. Should be heaven after a long day touring the Med. Please keep your live reports coming!

Can you check 2 things for me? (1) Do they have the special dinner in the lawn club, I believe it is hosted by the head chef, it used to be Chef Tato Garcia. I just read about this in a member's

cruise review, so I don't know if I have all the facts correct. It comes with a cocktail reception on the lawn with live music. I believe it was 85.00 pp, 2 years ago. I think it was called "The Grass is Greener Ultimate BBQ".

(2) Is there a champagne high tea in Murano?

Enjoy every moment of your cruise!

Carol and Jim

Wine-O

Thanks for the info.. that explains why on our last 2 cruises we were hounded while sitting in the lobby area having a drink and enjoying the band on the first two days...even in BLU our sommelier inquired but thankfully did not hound us..

Too bad the cruise line puts the staff in this position...does not rise to Modern Luxury hawking packages or products.

On Royal C... while enjoying a family birthday celebration our Chops waiter tried to sell us a cookbook and wine aerator in between our final course and presentation of birthday cake....really tacky!

Edited by hcat

Boarding her as soon as you disembark - glad to hear all is well!

The first day there is quite a lot of push on the packages if you haven't gotten one and/or upgraded. But after that, they do generally settle down quite a bit. And while I always upgrade to premium (the wine list is worth it for me), from what I've observed, most times if you just say "no, thank you", they stop. Of course, there is the next bar, and the next one... :) So maybe day 1, you just stay put!! lol

Have fun on your cruise!

There should have been a bottle of sparkling white wine in your room. Ask your stateroom attendent where it is.

On Reflection in November so looking forward to reading your updates! I thought the wine was in concierge class and water in Aqua (plus the specially formulated cucumber shampoo of course!)

We were on the Reflection in March and the previous March 2015. Our drink package was premium so no problem there.

What I did notice this March compared to the previous year was that Blu was a happier place to be. The sommelier was fabulous and could take the time to discuss parings. Last year, the 2 sommeliers were so busy they had no time for anything. The dinner packages were pushed all week long and really got in the way at times. Not sure why they felt the need to do such a hard sell.

One of our favorite things was to meet up again with our favorite bartender, Niksa. He knew his drinks. In 2015 he was at the sunset bar, this year at the world class bar.

If you see him, tell Nik Kevin and Sue say hello and we will be in touch soon.

enjoy your cruise. The reflection is a beautiful ship.

I will endeavour to find our sparkling wine then!

I didn't realise the gratuity went straight to them, now I realise why! It's a very hard sell to be honest and very uncomfortable.

The cabin is fabulous! Jealous of our neighbours hot tub though..!

We will ask Sue indeed, do you have the date? She's at the Societyx night tonight so I'm sure we will interact then.

I read on other threads that AQ did not receive the Sparkling Wine. You receive 1 bottle of water.

Enjoying your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not in Reflection till March next year but recently took our Grandchildren on the new Carnival Vista and the thing that struck us that there was no one harassing you to buy anything, no one accosted us for drinks packages or speciality dining even the photographers weren't at all pushy it made a refreshing change.

Morning all- we're docked in Messina for a beautiful day in Sicily.

No sign of Sue last night at the SocietyX event, went up especially to find her. Not sure if she was hiding but we were there from the beginning and no sign although there were several events on at once, will try to find her today.

SocietyX was a very strange affair, the Indulgence show, was very odd for me. I enjoyed the music, but not sure on the false American and British accents and laughs- I know it's a show but it was all very awkward and many people seemed to think so.

Blu was incredible. A lovely balsamic, mozarella and tomato salad and then fillet mignon. Only spoiled by the fact that our waiter turned out to be the one who tried to push us for a speciality that night too- he seems to have a bit of attitude, never experienced that before. He disappeared at the end of our meal for around fifteen minutes (the Texan next to us went mad- rightly so they hadn't ordered yet!) and didn't bring my boyfriends soup when he brought my salad 10mins before, he walked past and said its okay, I said the soup? He walked off brought it and went 'yeah'. Hmm. The service on the whole has been pretty rubbish and I'm honestly shocked by it- got ignored by the bar tender when waiting yesterday for three other patrons who just walked up because they had obviously made friends a few minutes before. Never felt like this before- feeling very invisible on X.

The hard sell has indeed continued. We came home after a cheeky few to find not one but two messages on our answerphone regarding upgrading our food and beverages.

Our room attendant dropped by to let us know when to request our wine- so he will bring it fresh. Maybe he forgot to tell us! He is a lovely gent though.

We recommended X to some friends who had never cruised and they chose your cruise. Hope they are not put off by hard selling and poor service as I would feel somewhat guilty. It's a big ship but it's Paul and Jen from Lancashire, two well turned out thirtysomethings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure they're having a great time, we still are. The hard sell seems to have died down mostly today (a couple of comments is all) and the service last night up in the lounge on 15 was good, as well as in the entertainment court bar. No need to worry as the cruise itself is very good (maybe we only notice because we've cruised several times before!)