Second Seating Pet Peeve

geoherb

We just disembarked from a great cruise on the Zuiderdam yesterday. I will post a complete review later, but wanted to go ahead and get some thoughts down about one disappointment. Our cruise started on Super Bowl Sunday, so we figured that dining in the dining room would not be some guests' top priority. (They had a great spread of Super Bowl food while showing the game in the theater and other locations around the ship.) So when we went to our second seating table assignment and saw only one other guest there, it did not surprise us. But then the second and third nights, it was still just three of us at a table for eight. We spoke to the assistant maître d' and he promised to get us more folks. We met two nice women at lunch one day, and they said they were tired of waiting in line for anytime dining. We told him we had space available at our table. We talked them into joining our table, and they spoke with the assistant maître d' to make sure it would be OK. In the meantime, he had found another couple who also joined our table on the fourth night of the cruise.

We had a great time with the seven of us at our table for eight. But then, on the final night--the 10th night of our cruise--we showed up at our table to find a strange couple sitting there. They said they were assigned to the table. I wanted to say, "So where the hell were you the last nine nights?" But I did not say anything. The five of us who had arrived at the same time just stood there while our waiter sorted things out. He moved them to another table.

If you sign up for traditional dining, please show up a majority of the nights. I understand that there will be a few nights when some people will not make it. If you know ahead of time that you have reservations at the Pinnacle Grill or other plans for the following night, let your waiters and tablemates know so that they won't have to wait to see if you'll show up. And don't show up for the first time on the last night of a cruise and expect to still have a seat waiting for you.

I understand completely, and totally agree.

Although it has not happened to me often, it has happened that I was assigned to a table for 6, with two friends, and the others at the table never showed up until very late in the cruise. And then they never came back! This was on a cruise longer than one week, too.

Now, my friends and I all like each other, but we like meeting others, too, which is why we request a 6-top. We stayed on for the following cruise, and did have company. It was so much more fun that way!

If you plan to be in alternative dining more nights than not, then sign up for open seating. If you want to join others, you can.

We always keep the maître d' or our head waiter informed when we plan to not be there although lately we have solved the issue by requesting 2-tops for 2nd seating. But we still keep them up to date on our plans. Just a simple courtesy.

have reservations at the Pinnacle Grill

Not positive about HAL but on RCCL the maître d' had the reservations list for the specialty restaurants cross referenced with the MDR assignments (on computer screen) so he could see who not to expect. Would not help for last minute Lido decision though.

On the night our family group of 8 went to a restaurant (on RCCL) our waiter (whom we got along famously with) even popped in to check and make sure all was going great. I suspect HAL has the same capabilities to know where people are.

Something similar happened on our recent cruise. We were at an 8 top and part way through the cruise, the other 3 couples were at different venues, leaving just the 2 of us at this big table. At the end of dinner (we felt like royalty being doted upon by our servers), another couple walked past and the lady said "You're at a big table by yourselves, too! We're at a 6 top and nobody's showed up since we boarded." I suggested we had room at the table, as one couple was going to disembark the following day due to a family emergency, so they joined us for the rest of the cruise. We had a great time getting to know them and thoroughly enjoyed their company at dinner. We like to think we might have made their cruise experience a little more enjoyable as well.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We just disembarked from a great cruise on the Zuiderdam yesterday. I will post a complete review later, but wanted to go ahead and get some thoughts down about one disappointment. Our cruise started on Super Bowl Sunday, so we figured that dining in the dining room would not be some guests' top priority. (They had a great spread of Super Bowl food while showing the game in the theater and other locations around the ship.) So when we went to our second seating table assignment and saw only one other guest there, it did not surprise us. But then the second and third nights, it was still just three of us at a table for eight. We spoke to the assistant maître d' and he promised to get us more folks. We met two nice women at lunch one day, and they said they were tired of waiting in line for anytime dining. We told him we had space available at our table. We talked them into joining our table, and they spoke with the assistant maître d' to make sure it would be OK. In the meantime, he had found another couple who also joined our table on the fourth night of the cruise.

We had a great time with the seven of us at our table for eight. But then, on the final night--the 10th night of our cruise--we showed up at our table to find a strange couple sitting there. They said they were assigned to the table. I wanted to say, "So where the hell were you the last nine nights?" But I did not say anything. The five of us who had arrived at the same time just stood there while our waiter sorted things out. He moved them to another table.

If you sign up for traditional dining, please show up a majority of the nights. I understand that there will be a few nights when some people will not make it. If you know ahead of time that you have reservations at the Pinnacle Grill or other plans for the following night, let your waiters and tablemates know so that they won't have to wait to see if you'll show up. And don't show up for the first time on the last night of a cruise and expect to still have a seat waiting for you.

I think you're making the assumption that you started the cruise with a full table assignment if I am reading you correctly. Isn't it possible that with so many people choosing anytime dining that there just weren't enough people interested in traditional dining at the second seating? As the cruise went on it is possible that some people got tired of waiting for seat assignment and were looking to get a fixed dining time.

I know it's dissapointing to look forward to meeting new people as we do but this anytime dining thing is becoming more and more difficult for HAL to handle.

What I don't understand is why on the last night you would get so upset about 2 new people at the table. Can you imagine how badly those people felt when such a fuss was made just because they were doing what they were told to do? I bet you could have handled that a little more tactfully instead of becoming possessive of your table domain.

Hope you are able to overlook small trifling things and enjoy your cruising time to the fullest on your next cruise.

How rude. I don't think this issue is unique to the second seating though. We have always requested a table for 4 as we are very aware that some cruisers would not like children/teens at their table, but we have seen some issues pop up at tables around us, especially on a shorter coastal cruise.

I think you managed beautifully and I am glad you enjoyed your table mates.

Not positive about HAL but on RCCL the maître d' had the reservations list for the specialty restaurants cross referenced with the MDR assignments (on computer screen) so he could see who not to expect. Would not help for last minute Lido decision though.

On the night our family group of 8 went to a restaurant (on RCCL) our waiter (whom we got along famously with) even popped in to check and make sure all was going great. I suspect HAL has the same capabilities to know where people are.

Yes, our Maitre d' told us they do cross-reference the Pinnacle/Tamarind/Caneletto reservations when we informed him we would not be in the MDR the next night. He would then know he could offer our table for two - fixed dining-late to someone else.

Interesting stories about the fates of some of the larger tables and disappearing guests. We watched across the room what could have been a special full table for "solos" on one cruise. The participant numbers kept getting smaller each night, until one night only one woman was sitting there. (My heart ached thinking of her having to dine alone at that big table). After that night, no one ever used that table again for the rest of the cruise.

If you sign up for traditional dining, please show up a majority of the nights. I understand that there will be a few nights when some people will not make it.....And don't show up on the last night of a cruise and expect to still have a seat waiting for you.

I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me wants to say "why would anybody sign up for assigned time dining and then not show up until the last night?", but part of me wants to say "it's each passenger's decision where they have dinner every night and how many times they show up at the MDR, even if it's just one time". The other thing going through my mind is : what if these "missing in action" table mates didn't select assigned time dining but were given that because everything else was booked at the time they reserved their cruise?

Personally, I despise assigned time dining because I'm not a fan of sitting at the same exact time, at the same exact table, with the same exact people night after night. After reading this thread, I feel that I should avoid it further knowing that showing up sporadically may be a reason of annoyance to some fellow cruisers.

Ever since the option of any time dining was introduced, I have never selected assigned time dining. However, on our last cruise on MSC, this was the only option. If we had table mates, they never showed up (which I was secretly thankful for), but we found ourselves rushing or cutting our time ashore short to make sure that we made the assigned times. Definitely not my idea of fun. We only made it to the MDR half the time mostly because the fixed time didn't quite fit in with our activities and it was more of an obstacle to our enjoyment of the cruise. But once again, we had no choice in the matter. Having said that, I would've been pretty upset if I had showed up to my assigned table only to learn that my table mates had found new people to sit with and I was being kicked somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do you suggest HAL solve the problem of empty tables in fixed seating?

If someone does not show up by the second evening perhaps they should receive a note from the dining room reminding them of their dining assignment and ask if they would prefer open seating. That would free up that table for other diners.

Sometimes a TA will request fixed dining for first time cruisers and they may find out that they have options and want more dining freedom. I prefer early fixed dining but find it a hard assignment to get! Then I get upset when I have to wait for a table in open seating and I see empty seats in fixed.

If somebody doesn't show up for fixed dining until the last night....they deserve to lose their seats. They would get no sympathy from me.

I may be a bit "old fashioned", but on cruises where we know we will not be dining in the MDR most evenings, we opt for Open dining. While I know we do not have to do this, I think it is considerate for us to do so, and quite frankly Open dining is not a problem IMO.

Sometimes Open Seating is not available and people get assigned Main Seating (i.e., late seating) because that's all that's left... and they don't like it or want it most nights so they find alternatives such as Lido, Room Service or Specialty venues. Does that mean that their assignments should be given away? What if they decide that a particular night works out ok for their Main Seating assignment, maybe they like the menu or just want to try the MDR?

If it was me I think I'd go to the Dining Room Manger or at least the podium to ask if it's still ok to use that assignment or would he/she have a different table for us to sit at. At a late point in the cruise it shouldn't matter to us where we sit but I agree that it's a bit presumptuous that the original assignment is still valid. But newer cruisers are not too aware, and even veteran cruisers sometimes... but reading here is always thought provoking. m--

My pet peeve would be making someone feel uncomfortable when they came to their assigned table to eat.

Really, I think it is each person's vacation; they should eat how they choose. Why should they feel guilty for either trying the specialty places or not wanting to dress up and just going to the Lido on most nights.

I do pick fixed seating and a small table for 2, because I don't want that drama.

On our recent holiday cruise we were assigned late fixed dining at a table for 8. The first two nights, the only people who showed up was a Dutch couple. The wife spoke English, the husband not so much. The third night we were on our own, the fourth night the Dutch couple returned and informed us that the next three nights ( which happened to be Dec. 23,24, and 25) they would be eating elsewhere with 3 other Dutch couples they had met on the ship. Not wanting to eat alone my DH and I decided to do anytime dining. Each time we went to the podium to get a table, the dining room person looked at the computer and questioned us as to why we were not eating at our fixed table assignment. Each time, he looked somewhat annoyed that we had chosen to eat somewhere other than our fixed dining table. Each night We had to explain why we were there. Why would we want to eat by ourselves over Christmas? The whole reason for asking for a 8 top was so that we would have company/ conversation while we celebrated the holiday. As it turned out we met nice people in anytime dining and enjoyed our meals.I think in future we will skip the traditional dining format altogether and only use anytime dining. That way we will not run in to the other issue we had...people who wanted to take extra time for each course while they each drank 2 glasses of wine. I felt bad for the dining room attendants...this couple kept sending them away when they were trying to get the courses served. I think people who want to eat in a slower manner should sit at a table for two instead of inflicting their dining style on others. It made my DH and I very uncomfortable!

We love fixed late dining and share your frustration. I am certain that the seats are all assigned and the problem is no shows. If not why am I still waitlisted for late dining on a cruise that begins Sunday?We always ask for a big table! Last we asked for an 8 and got a 4 just for our group of 4. But we prefer to get to know new people. Don't like waiting for anytime and repeating intros and basic info night after night!

This will be our first HAL after a run of Princess Cruises. Very excited and curious!

I understand the OP's point of view. In fixed seating, I have found myself more than once at a table for 6, dining alone when table mates failed to show or notify anyone that they would not be there.

In my opinion, the Assistant DRM should have made contact with the missing couple that showed up on the last night to determine whether their places at the table should be held for them.

Maybe this wouldn't happen on a HAL ship during an As You Wish dining situation, but it did happen to me on Carnival Liberty last month. I chose Open Dining because on a 4 night cruise, I knew I would be patronizing the MDR only 3 of those nights. I always requested a round table for 6 and dined around 8:00 P. M. 2 of the 3 nights, I dined alone. At least on that cruise, there were few guests that were being seated around the time I chose to dine. To their credit, Liberty's Assistant DRMs were apologetic that they were unable to have others join me. (One of the women on the last night told me she would do anything possible to obtain some dining companions for me.) I always thanked them and told them that I was fine dining alone.

My pet peeve would be making someone feel uncomfortable when they came to their assigned table to eat.

Really, I think it is each person's vacation; they should eat how they choose. Why should they feel guilty for either trying the specialty places or not wanting to dress up and just going to the Lido on most nights.

I do pick fixed seating and a small table for 2, because I don't want that drama.

I so agree. It was most likely that the couple were merely following the dining room staff who seated them at that table. For other passengers to cause any sort of awkwardness for this couple was just plain rude.

I remember our first cruise. We understood "As You Wish" dining meant just that - as we wished. We didn't understand that set dining meant that we had a reservation for dinner each night at the same time with the same people. So the first night we dined "As We Wished" and dined elsewhere. The second night we also dined "As We Wished" and dined in the dining room. I was appalled when a lady scolded us for not showing up the previous evening. I kept my opinions to myself but decided I would not dine any more with anyone as rude as that so guess what? We didn't show up for the rest of the cruise.

It is an easy assumption for people to make. Even HAL describes "As You Wish" dining as:

"With a wide range of food & dining options, we invite you to dine "As You Wish®" To savor Italian cuisine one night and a perfectly grilled porterhouse steak the next. To take your place in the Dining Room at a specific seating time or be spontaneous, following your desires."

We have had similar issues. On our Oosterdam Mediterranean cruise last April we were at a 6 top. It was a 14 night cruise and one of the couples only showed three nights. They were vegetarians and pre-ordered elaborate meals for every night. I felt so sorry for the waiters going to the extra effort for food that was just thrown out the majority of the time. The other couple at the table ate in the Lido about half the time, so we mostly had a 6-top for two.

I remember our first cruise. We understood "As You Wish" dining meant just that - as we wished. We didn't understand that set dining meant that we had a reservation for dinner each night at the same time with the same people. So the first night we dined "As We Wished" and dined elsewhere. The second night we also dined "As We Wished" and dined in the dining room. I was appalled when a lady scolded us for not showing up the previous evening. I kept my opinions to myself but decided I would not dine any more with anyone as rude as that so guess what? We didn't show up for the rest of the cruise.

Okay, newbie here. Doesn't As You Wish mean that if we want to go to dinner at 5 in the MDR we just go there and get on the wait list but maybe the next night we want to dine at 7 and get on the wait list again? Otherwise wouldn't it be 'set dining with table x?' Maybe I am missing something.

We may or may not eat in the MDR each night and because of excursions we may eat much later one day than the previous. What's our best option?

Okay, newbie here. Doesn't As You Wish mean that if we want to go to dinner at 5 in the MDR we just go there and get on the wait list but maybe the next night we want to dine at 7 and get on the wait list again? Otherwise wouldn't it be 'set dining with table x?' Maybe I am missing something.

We may or may not eat in the MDR each night and because of excursions we may eat much later one day than the previous. What's our best option?

Your interpretation of "As You Wish" is a common misconception. "As You Wish" is HAL's very confusing blanket term for all choices--dining room, Lido, specialty restaurants. When you make a booking, you may request either set-time dining (early or late) or open dining ("Anytime"). If you have set-time, you have the same table and dining companions every night, and you are expected to honor that reservation, and not ask to be seated in the dining room at some other time. One level of the dining room is usually set up for set dining. The other level is open dining, where you may just show up and ask to be seated at the time of your choosing. Open dining is what you describe--maybe 5 PM one night and 7 PM another night.

Whether you have set-time or open dining, you may opt to go to the Lido for dinner or book one of the specialty restaurants. The OP's point was that if you have set-time dining and choose not to go to the table that night, it's good manners to let your dining companions or the restaurant manager know. If you do not intend to eat at the same time each night, then you should ask for open dining when you book.

:)I agree with much that is covered above. However, I personally would summarize by answer with two words - courtesy and consideration. IF you are assigned to fixed seating, and if you do not plan to be, PLEASE let the section manager know so that he can fill the seats with others! It is not fair to the folks who honor their assignments only be be alone at a table for 6 or 8. If I wanted to be alone I would NOT ask for a table for 6 or 8 (or even 4).

Sure you may change your mind and want to spend you meals at the Lido between you initial reservation (for a fixed table assignment), fine but LET the MDR folks know!!~!! Please! Don't ruin someone else's experience due to your INCONSIDERATION. It is so easy to inform an appropriate person of your change in plans, then things can be done to help the person/people left at the table. Over many cruise days we have had a few experienced of no shows? Never assigned? of whatever stablemates. Staff has always been most helpful in filling out table once it was established that either those assigned changed their minds OR some seats were not assigned. This has ALWAYS been rectified within the first few days. (The first night - many folks skip the MDR for a variety of reasons, many related to fatigue of getting to and on the ship that day. No shows that night should be a free"pass".

I could go on but I think you get my points and my selection of the kindly human treatment of others - courtesy and consideration. :)

The other level is open dining, where you may just show up and ask to be seated at the time of your choosing. Open dining is what you describe--maybe 5 PM one night and 7 PM another night.

Whether you have set-time or open dining, you may opt to go to the Lido for dinner or book one of the specialty restaurants. The OP's point was that if you have set-time dining and choose not to go to the table that night, it's good manners to let your dining companions or the restaurant manager know. If you do not intend to eat at the same time each night, then you should ask for open dining when you book.

Yes, we would definitely want the open dining option. We don't want anyone to be waiting on us or have to be at the restaurant at a set time each day. I cannot imagine what a nightmare it is for the cruises when many are still on excursions during their normal 'dining' hours.

Might be helpful if the cruises had a dining etiquette brochure so newbies (or veterans) don't cramp other cruiser's style. After all I want MY cruise experience to be MINE but I also don't want to disrupt someone else's experience.

You ask a really good question and one which I am sure that you will receive differing opinions. When you dig deeper into the quote I noted above, you discover:

"Flexibility is the hallmark of our As You Wish® dining program, and in the main Dining Room, it’s your choice of a traditional pre-set seating and dining time or a flexible open schedule. One level of the two-tiered restaurant will offer a flexible/open dining service from 5:15 to 9 p.m. daily, and the other will host two seatings, an early seating at 5:45 p.m. and main seating at 8 p.m. Pre-set dining times are subject to change based on itinerary. Guests selecting flexible open seating may make reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up anytime during dining hours."

So, in the MDR - As You Wish includes both pre-set dining and open dining. The only thing that the pre-set dining option provides is a determined dining time, it does not include a specific table. But in practice, HAL tries to assign passengers to the same tables to ensure that passengers dine with the same table mates and have the same service staff. And that is the cause of most of the strife with MDR dining.

Passengers similar to the OP quickly complain when they are assigned a larger table and few passengers show up. It can be awkward for two people to dine at a large table. But perhaps this problem is more easier remedied by not calling out their fellow passengers who have made other dining options, and instead calling out HAL for unofficially assigning tables. This problem could be solved for a lot of people if HAL would simply fill available tables each night instead of sitting people in their previous table and simply hoping that others will show up.

In your case, either traditional dining or open dining would work, although I would suggest that you consider open dining. In traditional dining you certainly have the option of simply letting your table mates know a head of time that you will not be joining them on the next night, but I don't know how it would work if you were to miss the first couple of nights.

We always do second seating... do find that the dining room is about 1/2 empty most nights, which we actually prefer. We always get a table for 2 or a 4 top for 2.... so prefer to dine alone and enjoying having an uncrowded dining that is not that noisy so we can image in conversation easily. So maybe you should try for 1st setting which is more popular and full.

In your case, either traditional dining or open dining would work, although I would suggest that you consider open dining. In traditional dining you certainly have the option of simply letting your table mates know a head of time that you will not be joining them on the next night, but I don't know how it would work if you were to miss the first couple of nights.

We are definitely going to select open dining. Last thing I want to do is cramp my style or other cruiser's style by assigned seating and then not showing up because we are on an excursion or found a quaint bar to enjoy and missing assigned dining.

I am so glad I have had an option to read about all the choices because originally we wanted early dining because we generally eat early. Do they offer seating possibilities for just two? Or will we always have to eat with a group? Not that I mind but we might want a quiet evening for just the two of us without having to eat in our room.