Packing lists?

bluesplayer

My lists mostly pertains to longer cruises:

STRING: ties the over the door shoe rack to the bathroom door so it does not flap when door open and closes

MASKING TAPE: tape multiple items together packing keeping suitcase neat

SUPER GLUE: ($ store) package of $ single use mini tubes. I have used it on each of last 2 cruises, once for minor repair of shoes and also a loose lens of my glasses.

CALCULATOR: ( $ store) takes up almost no space and is so much easier to use than the one on cell phone, tablet, etc.

HIGHLIGHTER: identifies/reminds of activities on daily program

INSULATED BEVERAGE GLASS/MUG: ship’s are much too small

INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED HAND WIPES: easily tucks into pocket when leaving ship

MINI COMPOSITION BOOK ($ store): fits any pocket. I use it to make notes ashore useful for return trips. Also record staff names and keep track of extra gratuities

PREPRINTED ADDRESS LABELS: simplifies mailing post cards, etc. home

DISPOSIBLE PONCHOS: easier to carry than umbrella

COLLAPASABLE CLOTH STORAGE CONTAINERS: ($ Store) keeps closet shelves organized for undergarments, etc.

MAGNETIC EMERGENCY LIGHT: (harbor freight) attach to inside stateroom door; use as dressing light without turning on bright light disturbing mate

NYLON JACKET: light and heavy weight for repelling moisture when caught in showers

COMMAND HOOKS: install/remove easily

DRY ERASE BOARD: ($ store) easily leave request for room steward

GOO GONE: for removing adhesive left by dry erase board. Transfer from large bottle into 2oz size.

Over the years I created a list of all the clothing I own that could possibly be brought on a cruise, no matter the destination, and all the misc. things I could want (such as small flashlight, extension cords, etc.). As things have been discarded or purchased I have adjusted the list.

When it comes time to plan what to bring, and pack, I print out the list and mark my particular for that cruise on the list with a little dot. As I pack, I turn the dot into a checkmark. It's easier to keep track that way.

I pack the list in my carry-on, and have it in case the bag were to go missing (I know what was in there), and to use as a guide when packing to come home. It helps to pack in a logical order.

I place a slash through the checkmark on the return packing.

My suggestion is to make up a list that's particular to you. As you think of things, write them down.

Ruth, you're too organized. :cool:

Roz

LOL! I had to be to survive in my job. It's a transferable skill.

It saves a lot of walking, and standing in front of a closet deciding, if I can sit and review a list of clothes. When one has trouble walking and standing, that's a plus.

I can skip around on the list, and since I can see what hasn't gone in the bag yet, I don't forget something I want.

Once I got the list in the computer, it's served me well for years.

Anything to make life simpler.

Female - packing plan

I start by counting my port days and at sea days since I bring two different "casual" sets of clothes for each. Port days get a repeated, rinsable, layered "uniform" with lots of pockets. (Cargo-type pants, top, vest) I never carry a purse in port. In fact everything is pinned to the inside of a pocket either on a loop or a cord for easier retrieval. Partly anti-theft but mainly anti-forgetful on my part.

At-sea days get a variety of casual tops and sweaters, depending on where we are going. Then about 10-14 different dressier "tops" for evening MDR. Plus a few "gala" night options.

When I was first cruising I thought I needed/wanted a "new outfit" with shoes to match for every single day, just for my own sense of variety at that time. That required two suitcases and always resulted coming home with most of those clothes totally unworn. Took me a while to also learn ship's marketing photos never looked like actual on board life - women did not always wear little sweater twin-sets and skirts during the day.

Over time I finally got it down to one suitcase and exchangeable tops to go with black and neutral pants and skirts with only two pairs of dress shoes - black and neutral.

I also keep an ongoing blue HAL bag with those in-cabin necessities already in place, so it is just grab and go without the need to list it, sort it or pack it. It hangs in my closet between cruises. Same with my cosmetic bag - packed and ready to go and a removable plastic container for the small carryon liquids.

I replace things at the end of the trip when they get empty: Post-it notes, OTC meds, larger supplies of liquids like shampoo, hairspray, conditioner, lotions,. Then in go the highlighters, small sewing kit, small flashlight, extra glasses, wrist coil for my cruise card, chargers for camera and iPod, and a packable flat "tray" which collects all those loose ends desktop in the cabin during the cruise.

Of late, I am including a larger but very light weight wall clock that gets "stuck" to the wall or mirror with removable sticky pads when in a cabin that does not have a wall clock.

No matter where I go I always pack long silk underwear, gloves, earmuffs and long cashmere shawl. As well as some wool items to become ready emergency "abandon ship" outfit. Wet wool is the best defense against cold water.

Then the final packing list has only the one-item things that need to be fresh like meds and extra hearing aid batteries. And finally rain/wind gear, underwear, night wear, swimwear and accessories - cruise length and destination dependent, which have been pre-packed into mesh packing cubes.

(We have five star "free" laundry)

There are many good suggestions above. We also bring the following:

1. An extension cord (not a power strip) with multiple outlets to charge small electronics.

2. A European plug adapter so we can use both power outlets in the room. Most newer electronics will run on either 110v or 220v and automatically select the power being supplied. Be sure to check yours before using this tip.

3. A small sticker that I created some years ago that shows an outline of our state and the Space Needle. These are VERY handy to give out as mementos to persons you encounter and are REALLY appreciated. In bulk, they are only a penny or so a piece. We even put one on our cabin door.

4. Business cards with appropriate contact information (never an address)

5. Electronic reading device. Our iPhones work well, but I also bring a Kindle Fire tablet as a backup internet and excellent reading device.

6. A portable electronic sim card (GLOCALME is the brand I use). We never have to look for WIFI. The data rates are very inexpensive.

7. Extra charging cords for phones or devices as we've had some fail along the way.

8. A 10,000ma portable battery (the new maximum size for airline transport) for keeping the phone charged during those long days on shore excursions and using the phone to take pictures.

9. Down coats or vests for the colder times. They pack very light and small.

10. Travel vests which have lots of pockets for storing items while touring. Scottvest is the brand we have used for years.

11. Pack light. We can travel almost indefinitely with a roller carry-on and a backpack. Polyesters and light fabrics are your friends.

I, too, like to be organized. Take casual tops and nice tops for both day and night, using capris and pants interchanging. I use an excel spreadsheet on my computer, The first column is the date, day and itinerary port or sea day, so I know how to dress. If my outfits are packed on paper, it makes packing a breeze. As I pack, I highlight. Once they are all highlighted, I am packed and ready to go. I take an unhighlighted version with me on the cruise to tape on the inside of the closet door. I know what I am wearing every day. I do switch the night wear around since I do not know when the formal nights are. Shoes are very minimal, mostly comfort shoes. Magnets, especially ones with clips for holding the days schedule on the wall. I do take my own shampoo and soap, but these are also supplied in the showers. No need to pack a hair dryer. I pack windbreaker, sweater, posted notes, pen, highlighter, safety pins, rubberbands, first aid kit, flashlight, battery operated candles, tape, suntan lotion, bug lotion, anti-bact hand lotion, good book, passport. copy of ship docs and port emails or excursions.So much easier this way...no last minute stressing.

Edited by paml

Over the years I created a list of all the clothing I own that could possibly be brought on a cruise, no matter the destination, and all the misc. things I could want (such as small flashlight, extension cords, etc.). As things have been discarded or purchased I have adjusted the list.

When it comes time to plan what to bring, and pack, I print out the list and mark my particular for that cruise on the list with a little dot. As I pack, I turn the dot into a checkmark. It's easier to keep track that way.

I pack the list in my carry-on, and have it in case the bag were to go missing (I know what was in there), and to use as a guide when packing to come home. It helps to pack in a logical order.

I place a slash through the checkmark on the return packing.

My suggestion is to make up a list that's particular to you. As you think of things, write them down.

Wow - I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that does this, lol! My wife thinks I'm nuts but I take several days to come up with, and print off my packing list for all of our vacations. I can then just pack the night before without taking forever to figure out what I want to take! My wife tends to pack and repack several times and that drives me nuts!

Keeping a multi port USB charger that puts out full power on all ports is a must nowadays. I keep one in a small bag with Apple and Micro/Mini Cables. Since the good ones are multi-voltage for input you only need the cable for that outlet, no voltage converters required.

As for my bags, I am odd as I keep a suitcase fully packed for seven days in the closet. So when I need to travel for work, short vacations I am set. Also I keep one module (Eagle Creek Pack-It Cube) that is winter/fall and one that is spring/summer that I can swap depending on the year.

Winter/Fall: Sweater, Sweater Vest, Scarf, Warm Hat

Spring/Summer: Shorts, Polo Shirts, Hawaiian Shirts, Baseball cap.

My DW thinks I am crazy, but last thing I want to do is to get stressed out before a vacation.