Baltic/Scandinavia weather in May

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect weather wise in May? Last May they had very high temperatures in St Petersburg especially, but that is not the norm. I am thinking of daytime clothes packing mainly although I am thinking layers are probably the way to go.

Am I being optimistic hoping for a few days sunbathing on deck? :)

Elvis x

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect weather wise in May? Last May they had very high temperatures in St Petersburg especially, but that is not the norm. I am thinking of daytime clothes packing mainly although I am thinking layers are probably the way to go.

Am I being optimistic hoping for a few days sunbathing on deck? :)

Elvis x

In early May it is not hot but in the end of May it can sometimes be hot summerdays, if you are lucky! No one knows!

Pyttan from Sweden

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect weather wise in May? Last May they had very high temperatures in St Petersburg especially, but that is not the norm. I am thinking of daytime clothes packing mainly although I am thinking layers are probably the way to go. Am I being optimistic hoping for a few days sunbathing on deck? :) Elvis x

The point about early versus mid versus late May is very important. Optimistic? YES! In June, July and August, most of the time, the temperatures will be in the high 60's to lower 70'sF, on average. Average is just that. We had great weather and long days during our late July and early August time in the Baltics. Hope your luck is as good as ours. On deck sunning? If your deck area is protected from wind and outside air and you've got nice sun, you might be OK. Layering? Yes, that's key. Be flexible and adjust accordingly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thank you for the tips. Our trip is the last two weeks of May which makes a bit of a difference to the weather and at the end of the day we are going for the scenery and a wonderful cruise, not necessarily a good tan, so any sunbathing would be a bonus, I have a better idea of what to pack now anyway :)

Thanks again!

We went last May and totally lucked out! It was cold going across the North Sea the first 2 days. Usually the ship gives out towels at the pool, but these days they were handing out wool blankets. Yes, people were laying at the pool wrapped in wool blankets. I guess if sitting at a pool makes you feel like you are on a cruise, then go for it! :)

The rest of the time was wonderful - 75 in St. Pete's, 70's in several other places. Until we hit Stockholm, the temps dropped and the wind picked up. We were freezing in the late afternoon - probably 40's plus wind.

We packed a pair of thermals for the chance of cold days and they don't take up much room in the suitcase. Then we just planned on layers - turtlenecks, a couple of sweaters and then 2 types of jackets - lighter rain jacket and heavier fleece type. I also had a pair of gloves and hat just in case.

Archived