Free Charms at Diamond International

When we were in the Caribbean this Jan Diamond International offered free charms for a charm bracelet in each port. Does anyone know if this is also offered in the ports for Alaska cruises? While not being top grade gold, they were nice reminders of the ports visited. Thanks!

Yes, they have them in Alaska too. A friend of mine sent me her DI card and I got all of them for her. She had forgotten her card on her Alaska cruise.

In Skagway, if you have the White Pass train booked you will get a train charm if you show your ticket. This is in addition to the regular Skagway charm.

When we were in the Caribbean this Jan Diamond International offered free charms for a charm bracelet in each port. Does anyone know if this is also offered in the ports for Alaska cruises? While not being top grade gold, they were nice reminders of the ports visited. Thanks!

Yes, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan all have charms.

Click on "View Individual Charms" to see the entire list.

http://www.shopdi.com/Caribbean-Charm-Bracelet/pd/br/p15361.cfm#

I was looking for information on which ships might be in port with us each day and on cruisecal they had a link in the upper right corner to Diamond International to get a free computer charm. I couldn't resist since I spend so much time on it looking at cruise info. Kicking myself for not getting our Mexican Riviera charms but plan on getting the Alaska ones.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I hope you didn't think there was any gold at all in them. ;);)

My wife has collected just about 3/4 of them - some day we might get them all. :p

Do you have to make a purchase to receive the free charms?

no you CAN buy them....usually the port & shopping guide will hand out a card to get the bracelet, then when you get THAT you get another card to get charms....i have mine from our 1st cruise, and then i got another one so i am working on 2.

(sometimes you have to go to the shopping talk for them, but on Enchantment, they gave out the cards for the bracelets on the gangway)

Do you have to make a purchase to receive the free charms?

When you get the card at the shopping talk it entitles you to get a free bracelet and attached to that is a punch card that has all the different locations which have the charms. They try to sell you your first charm for $5 but you don't have to buy it. There are usually more than one DI stores on each island & you can now use that punch card to get a free charm at the other store. Tanzanite International also gives out the same charms.

My wife has never spent a dime for any charm at any location.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I just started collecting the charms on my last Caribbean cruise (I know they're totally cheap and cheesy, I just can't help myself!) But I didn't know you could get them in Alaska too, thanks for the heads up!

The only thing I ever got free was the bracelet. I don't have any charms - don't you have to buy them?

Yes & no. The way they have the program set up is that after presenting the card you receive on the ship, they first give you the bracelet without a charm & try to sell you the first charm for $5. Sometimes the bracelet is handed out with the charm collection punch card attached, sometimes not, but most of the time you'll receive the punch card.

Once you have the punch card all you have to do to get a charm for the particular location is show the card & you'll get a free charm. If the location only had 1 DI store & you were never going to return to that location & you didn't have a punch card I would say spend the money & get you first card but if the location is like St Thomas were there are 3 DI stores & a Tanzanite International, they give you a punch card with the free bracelet & I've see people spending the $5 to get a first charm when they could have walked out the first store & went next door for the free charm.

You get the bracelet free with a punch card that each port marks off that you've received that charm. Your first charm you buy at DI for $5, the rest are free. If you miss getting one or are sure you'll never sail to one of the ports that offers a charm, you can buy them online for $5 each (no shipping charges!) at DI's website. That's what I did, got 5 of them at one time for $25. I would have spent that much trying to get to the DI in Puerto Vallarta ($10 taxi to the Golden Zone) or Mazatlan ($10 taxi fare). So I figure I saved myself cab fare for the 5 ports, time lost finding the DI store, time wasted telling the sales man "no", and I avoided the temptation to look at all the pretty glittery jewelry screaming my name from the display case...

You get the bracelet free with a punch card that each port marks off that you've received that charm. Your first charm you buy at DI for $5, the rest are free. If you miss getting one or are sure you'll never sail to one of the ports that offers a charm, you can buy them online for $5 each (no shipping charges!) at DI's website. That's what I did, got 5 of them at one time for $25. I would have spent that much trying to get to the DI in Puerto Vallarta ($10 taxi to the Golden Zone) or Mazatlan ($10 taxi fare). So I figure I saved myself cab fare for the 5 ports, time lost finding the DI store, time wasted telling the sales man "no", and I avoided the temptation to look at all the pretty glittery jewelry screaming my name from the display case...

I realize that it's just a game to get people into the store but we're trying to get to every location & get a charm to show it. It's like the guy living next door to me, he's going to go to every baseball stadium before he dies. Everybody collects something. ;);)

I don't remember a DI in Alaska. But I went several years ago. I know what you mean about the charms and bracelet,I have several of them, and have even given some away.

In most cases if a cruise ship goes there, DI will be there. :)

Kicking myself for not getting our Mexican Riviera charms but plan on getting the Alaska ones.

BonVoyage

Dawna

The Mexican ones were a bit of a rip off - they wanted $5 each for them - and they are not even gold plated!! When I went to collect them they asked for the money.

I also got them free in the Caribbean. Personally I don't think they are worth the $5.

Personally I am a jeweler by trade what they are giving you is not worth the nickle and copper they are offered to you. What do you want for free real gold?

Its not good gold, its inlayed meaning it has some copper in it. I have gone to those places because of friends thinking they wanted something for nothing and personally they are not worth the spit they give you.

But then again its Free and to my friends its what they wanted a freebee.

The charms are not worth it to stand in line on a hot day for a free bee. you be better off buying somthing of value and of good price directly on the ship.

No place is a better rate. Not even in Mexico what a rip off country that is... the 9.25 silver is not even Silver its also inlayed with copper and aluminum and mine rusted on day 2. I have bought a nice piece of silver on the ship paid last year on the Mariner for 195.00 the best investment I ever spent and its still in great shape.

Becareful what you buy... In St. Thomas I recommend very highly to go to Little Switzerland for watches but not the Diamond Exchange there are others out there but unless you have a trained eye and an eye piece for the stones you will be ripped off ...Ok forinstance this happened to a friends we met last year, her husband saw a purple stone for his wifes birthday, he bought it he showed it to me just before we left the ship, see Red.. i got this for Marci... I said Stanley its glass, No its real he said and said he paid 930.00 for it, i said Stanley this is glass... He insisted. I told him if its a true gem and diamonds it will cut the table and make marks. It did nothing. he was had

We went along with one of the jewelers from the ship I Paid the man to go with me on this to the store, Not mentioning the name of the store Not the Jewelry exchange but another rip off store in St. Thomas. Not St. Marrten they are better but more expensive.

We demanded our money back, and I kept on telling the manager that this is glass he demanded that I was nuts. Well the story back and forth. I got the gem down to 52.00 it was glass but the guy wanted this ring.. for his wife.

Yes it was glass, how they tried to fool you, You got to be very careful. I do not buy anything in value of gold, silver or stones or diamonds unless I go to the Diamond Exchange in NYC on 7th Avenue or 43rd Street where I know that I am not going to be ripped off by the Jewish and Thai dealers. Those I can trust not those who think that people who get on the ship are looking for cheap bargains and what bargains they are gonna get GLASS!!

If you are in a shopping mood and you will find me, and want to know about how to find a real piece to a cheap one find me on the Freedom May 31st or on the Carnival Legend July 12 I will be more than happy to talk to you about your stones and diamonds

Red!!

• 1 year later...

I got started on this on our recent Alaska cruise. Didn't pay a dime. The cruise ship (Rotterdam) gave us a card for a free bracelet in Juneau. Got the bracelet and the bear charm. The DI guy tried to get us to pay $5 for the bear charm but the ship shopping girl was there and told him it was supposed to be free, so it was free. They didn't give us any punch card or anything. Then in Ketchikan just walked in and got the salmon charm for free. Again, no punch card or anything. We didn't stop in Skagway, so I just got the two charms. Sitka doesn't have a DI, which I think is for the best for Sitka.

I did a Caribbean cruise in 2003 and don't remember this at all. Is this a relatively new program? I do remember doing to a TI at that time for a free pair of tanzanite earrings as I was recommended to on the ship. They were just tiny chips, but at least they were free.

Oh, and I saw on the form that comes with the bracelet, you can buy a silver set online. I don't want to pay for it, but I wish they were giving out the silver instead of the gold. I'm not a real gold person, and fake gold usually looks worse than fake silver.

I can't believe a jeweler by trade would bother posting that the charms are not worth anything. Any of us that own one can see the expensive Diamond it has by the way it sparkles. Next you are going to tell me the Rolex I bought in this shop for $25.00 is not real. Only kidding you gave some good advise.

CIMG2015.jpg.09519c1674ecdbe5852d3f87393e8021.jpg

Edited by jtutak