Puerto Vallarta Malecon/Old Town Question

funonabun

Hi all! Will be in PV week after next via Ruby and my husband and I would like to explore on our own. I'd like to start at a southern point and work our way north as the day progresses, so am I correct in planning on asking the cab driver to drop us at the "new pier"? Based on my reading here and review of various maps online, it looks like there's a pedestrian path that we can take that will also cross over the Rio Cuale onto the Malecon from Old Town, is that correct?

Edited by funonabun

Hi all! Will be in PV week after next via Ruby and my husband and I would like to explore on our own. I'd like to start at a southern point and work our way north as the day progresses, so am I correct in planning on asking the cab driver to drop us at the "new pier"? Based on my reading here and review of various maps online, it looks like there's a pedestrian path that we can take that will also cross over the Rio Cuale onto the Malecon from Old Town, is that correct?

Yes, you are correct. Enjoy yourselves.:)

suggest dropping off at the Malecon and walking south, as it gets better as you go south, exploring the fascinating shopping (local art like nowhere else in Mexico) and taco stands along the streets inland near the pier (the pier is in bottom left of map below), then taking a $4 cab up to Casa Isabel for the views and ambiance, then taking an $8 cab back to the ship.

OldTownTacoTour-01.jpg.jpg?1429011048

Edited by bobnsofi

Hi all!.......it looks like there's a pedestrian path that we can take that will also cross over the Rio Cuale onto the Malecon from Old Town, is that correct?

There is. It kind of "dog legs" in front of Blue Shrimp. You can also walk up the river, lots of interesting kiosks.

We like to take a taxi or bus to the flea market which is located on north side of the river. There is a pedestrian suspension bridge that's kind of fun over the river. Walk south a few blocks then west back to the pier. LOTS of cool shops and "Mexico". We like cuetes y cuetes (sp?) at the base of the pier. Great place for lunch, bucket o beers, and people watch. Then walk up the malecon to Hotel Rosita and grab a cab back.

We've also done it north to south several times. Either way is better than being at work. :)

I left PV about a week ago and was great! Spend the day at a fun bar/resto at the malecon. Well really stopped for a refreshing beer and got tequilad.

Was not my plan but what the hell it is a vacation, great time people watching.

Thank god we walked around first and saw all the local shops and art.

Glad we did that instead of the beach. Will do that when in cabo, hope we made the right choice.

• 3 weeks later...
Moms in a transport chair, so no bus for us. What's the approx taxi fare for cabs, out on the street, to the Malecon? Where would be the best place to be dropped off?

If you walk out the terminal gate go left to the main road where you'll see a Pemex gas station on the corner. A yellow cab there will cost about $8USD TO Hotel Rosita, the north end of the Malecon. Or, as soon as you walk out the gate you will see a bunch of light beige/cream colored taxis. They charge about $4 per person, but might be easier for mom.

Taxis are everywhere in PV and extremely reasonable (always agree on a price BEFORE you get in the cab).