Fancy lunch in Mazatlan?

mdpseattle

Anyone have any recommendations for a lunch place near the church in old town Mazatlan? Something as fancy as it gets in this part of town? I've tried all the usual, yelp, tripadvisor, etc. not coming up with much. Also, is the market worthwhile for tourists or is it mostly grocery items for locals? Thanks!

The market is fun. Interesting to see real Mexico, not 'let's cater to Americans' Mexico.

We eat so we will get agua frescas (anything from chia to horchata), about 20 pesos) from one stand that has about 10 different kinds. Have lunch upstairs. The restaurants pretty much have the same menus with few variations. Rarely over US$15 for the three of us, including drinks and tip. IIRC my most expensive entree was shrimp skewers for 70pesos, including rice, beans and tortillas. We'll also get some raspados (shaved ice) from the stand in front of the church. We usually pay in pesos.

Don't know if we have cast iron stomachs or what, but we've never had an issue eating in Mexico. We eat in established restaurants and those do have potable water brought in.

Around the central market is several fabric shops. Usually, downstairs are clothes fabrics, upstairs are the household fabrics.

Edited by SadieN

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good info in Trip Advisor. If you are looking for fancy try Casa 46. Owned by the Pueblo Bonito group. We ate there in December while vacationing in Mazatlan. Very delicious, upscale , contemporary food. We also enjoyed Waters Edge Bistro. It is owned by an expat Canadian couple. It is a few blocks from the Plaza. The Mercado is very interesting and not to be missed. There are teeny tiny restaurants in the upper level but many gringos may not feel comfortable there, but they intrigued me and I plan to try eating there next time we vacation there again . Enjoy!!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g150792-d153038-Plaza_Machado-Mazatlan_Pacific_Coast.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums