Cuban cigars...can you buy and bring aboard ship?

WINEMANVISALIA

Where can you get good cuban cigars in cabo or mazatlan or puerto vallarta?

And if you buy them can you bring them aboard the cruise ship?

You can definitely bring it aboard the ship but do be careful though when shopping. There is a plethora of fake Cubans all over Baja. If you're serious about a real authentic Cuban cigar, watch some youtube videos on how people can tell if they're buying fakes and try visiting the cigar aficianado website. There's a forum there where cigar smokers will guide you on where to go. I read that in Cabo, a store called J&J has authentic Cuban cigars. I plan to pay them a visit when I get there.

You can definitely bring it aboard the ship but do be careful though when shopping. There is a plethora of fake Cubans all over Baja. If you're serious about a real authentic Cuban cigar, watch some youtube videos on how people can tell if they're buying fakes and try visiting the cigar aficianado website. There's a forum there where cigar smokers will guide you on where to go. I read that in Cabo, a store called J&J has authentic Cuban cigars. I plan to pay them a visit when I get there.

J&J are authentic cigars, and very expensive also. But if you want some, that is the best place and they also have awesome mojitos.

• 3 weeks later...

Hand made Cuban cigars (Cuban tobacco grown locally from Cuban seeds) can be purchased in Vallarta. They are located at the east end of the flea market. They specialize in cigars, coffee and fine chocolates. They have a great bar too.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

There are two places in Puerto Vallarta where we know they do sell real Cubans....but you will pay the big bucks (the real thing is never cheap). Probably the best cigar shop is located in the Old Town (southside) area and is called El Gato Gordo (you can Google it to get the address and map). And the guy that owns that place (where they have a large humidor) really knows his stuff. The other place is right on the Malecon and part of a Cuban restaurant called La Bodeguita del Medio. Beware of local vendors who will try to sell you small boxes of "Cuban Cigars" on the beach or in the streets. These are not the real thing (not even close).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 3 weeks later...

DH is true cigar affecionado, so I asked him (we've done Mex Riviera cruise a dozen time)

In PV he likes Vallerta Cigars (place with chocolates) but they only have Mexican cigars, which he likes.

For Cuban cigars he only buys 2nd tier- they aren't counterfit. Try Quantanamera or Cristales- they run $8-10 vs 1st tier at $15-$40. They were the same price in Barcelona last month as he paid in Mexico last year.

We had 2 boxes of Cubans on our TA from Barcelona a week after the embargo was lifted. The ship said "no Cuban cigars" but we figures they just hadn't reprinted the forms yet. We went through customs no problems.

In Cabo they have now 2 Casa Habanos which are authorized to carry Cuban cigars. J&J and La Casa del Habano. They will also have the 2nd tier cigars.

• 2 weeks later...
DH is true cigar affecionado, so I asked him (we've done Mex Riviera cruise a dozen time)

In PV he likes Vallerta Cigars (place with chocolates) but they only have Mexican cigars, which he likes.

For Cuban cigars he only buys 2nd tier- they aren't counterfit. Try Quantanamera or Cristales- they run $8-10 vs 1st tier at $15-$40. They were the same price in Barcelona last month as he paid in Mexico last year.

We had 2 boxes of Cubans on our TA from Barcelona a week after the embargo was lifted. The ship said "no Cuban cigars" but we figures they just hadn't reprinted the forms yet. We went through customs no problems.

In Cabo they have now 2 Casa Habanos which are authorized to carry Cuban cigars. J&J and La Casa del Habano. They will also have the 2nd tier cigars.

Thanks for the tip re the 2nd tier Cubans :). As to "Vallarta Cigars" we are not familar with that place although we do know "Vallarta Factory" (on Libertad near the flea market) which has some decent hand rolled cigars and excellent coffee. The next time you are back in PV have your DH check out Gato Gordo. If nothing else he will enjoy exploring their large humidor.

Hank

• 2 months later...

In Cabo, visit Cabo Hemingways Cuban Mojito Lounge for Cubans, Mojitos and Tequila. It is really a cigar store that also has drinks available. Great full humidor and they are so very helpful. It isn't far from the marina at all and they have cigars in all price ranges and in every taste. You might see a sign that says JNJCompany which is the same place.