What is Wi-Fi calling?

Pier290

WiFi calling is also known as 'voice over ip' [VOIP].

This technology makes and receives calls over the data connection, instead of using phone airtime minutes. [bypassing some of conventional 'phone' service layer, also bypassing your plan's data usage]

Some phones offer a hybrid 'Voice over LTE' service - that may count against data instead of your airtime, depending on the carrier.

It is possible that the shipboard WiFi provider may block VOIP, as like most streaming services it consumes a lot of the available bandwidth.

... This technology makes and receives calls over the data connection, instead of using phone airtime minutes. .... .

I realize you probably know this, but to clarify for others, this technology runs over the phone's WiFi connection, and includes texting capability in addition to voice calls.

Just got new phone with this,feature....can anyone explain it? [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Didn't you read my answer to your previous "confused" post? Sorry but this is not rocket science.

Instead of connecting to a cellular voice/text service (e.g., 3G, 4G, etc), "wifi calling" let's you use the internet to call.

Not familiar with Samsung phones but, if the phone has that feature, there should be an option in settings to select "wifi calling." When you do make that choice, your phone's voice communications will use whatever internet connection you have available/selected instead of your cell (or other available local) provider's service. Regardless of whether that chosen internet connection is wifi or Ethernet, you still need to buy or be given a data plan from/by someone.

Bottom line = don't confuse cellular voice/text services with wifi (or hard wired) internet. They are not the same thing and each type has associated connection/use charges. All your new phone does is to give you two mechanisms to communicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums