PANAMA CANAL: All or part way?

barbaraj

I am planning a cruise through the Panama Canal and there is a choice of cruising ocean to ocean or just through the first set of locks to Lake Gatun, spending the day, and exiting the same route the ship came in. I would appreciate views as to whether either experience is superior to the other.

I am planning a cruise through the Panama Canal and there is a choice of cruising ocean to ocean or just through the first set of locks to Lake Gatun, spending the day, and exiting the same route the ship came in. I would appreciate views as to whether either experience is superior to the other.

We've done the Panama Canal twice. Both times all the way through. I would prefer a one way cruise (ocean to ocean), but any cruise is better than none. So a partial transit would probably be OK.

I have not done a cruise that just went into Gatun Lake and then returned to the Caribbean Sea. I have sailed through the Canal 3X, once from the Pacific side and twice from the Caribbean side. There is much to see throughout the passage, including when the ship goes through the Gulliard Cut. I would recommend the entire transit. And, I would suggest not spending all of your time on the ship's top outer deck. One gets another perspective by being on a lower deck and watching while your ship is raised or lowered when in a lock.

When you just do the first set of locks, usually referred to as a partial transit you can still see a large part of the Canal by combining your morning transit of Gatun Locks and the shore excursion that is another partial transit of the Canal which goes through Gaillard Cut and the two Pacific Locks. IMO given the choice, I would rather do a full transit cruise, but the partial transit and the excursion is not a "bad" second choice.

If you have time and budget , I would do the full transit.

Slightly silly question. I understand a full transit can take up to 10 hours? Assuming this is correct is it necessary to be on deck the whole time? I just know that the minute I go inside I will miss something interesting :o

Slightly silly question. I understand a full transit can take up to 10 hours? Assuming this is correct is it necessary to be on deck the whole time? I just know that the minute I go inside I will miss something interesting :o

it can be very hot to spend all the time on deck

they usually have a commentary when going through

they do hang out in the lake for a bit so you have time to go & do lunch etc...

we try to find a spot inside to watch some of the canal trip

take plenty of sunscreen ;)

I think it is a matter of personal interests. We have done the full transit twice and in my opinion it was boring after an hour the first time. Personally I would never do another canal cruise. But that is just me.:)

The good news here is that things happen at a fairly leisurely pace in the Canal and you do not need to bake under the tropical sun all day to see the good stuff. The trip across Gatun Lake can be a good time to watch your transit from a shady or air conditioned vantage point. This part of the trip is primarily scenery and the best time to see ship traffic coming in the opposite direction. Just be where you can see outside.

Due to increased canal fees, partial transits are not offered as they used to be

Princess, HAL and NCL all have partial transit cruises offered this season. Carnival has a couple of partial transit cruises from two different ports as well... Baltimore and Galveston, I think. A real outlier in the partial transit cruises is P&O who has a partial transit cruise from all the way across the pond.

Princess, HAL and NCL all have partial transit cruises offered this season. Carnival has a couple of partial transit cruises from two different ports as well... Baltimore and Galveston, I think. A real outlier in the partial transit cruises is P&O who has a partial transit cruise from all the way across the pond.

Guess RCI is the odd man out!

We did the partial...and it was fine for us. Wanted to say I'd been there, but I'm not an "engineer" or canal fanatic...so this was fine. I didn't want a 1-way flight, either!

No..you certainly don't need to be on deck for 10 hours....you would totally MELT! It's HOT and HUMID...the AC is very welcoming!

I agree with CBatSea that the Panama Canal is totally intriguing for engineering types (my DH and his best friend), but the locks are a slow process. You need to make your way around the ship to see different aspects. It is always hot and humid though!

We might consider an inexpensive partial as a good alternative in the winter to the Caribbean which is same old/same old to me.

We've done both. I'm happy with the partial. You get the lock experience and the additional Caribbean ports are a big plus (for us, anyway). On the full transit we only hit a couple of Caribbean islands and were not so keen on the west coast Mexico stops. And being Florida snow birds, driving to/from the port was much more preferable than flying cross country one way.

I agree that staying outside through the entire Canal transit is much too much. Shade and water is required by my body as well as others, I am sure. Another poster mentioned moving around the ship during the transit; I agree. Getting different perspectives while going through the locks were of great interest to me.

From my experience, if one is late in trying to gain a premium forward outside viewing spot, be patient. Another poster indicated that boredom set in after awhile of viewing. That does happen. And, those prime spots appear, and particularly later in the transit.

Choosing a ship that has a Lounge very forward on the ship, i.e. above the Bridge, provides an excellent air-conditioned viewing location. And, if there is commentary during the trip, the audio is more easily heard, at least by me.

Due to increased canal fees, partial transits are not offered as they used to be - not sure which cruise lines still do these. We did the last RCI one on Jewel a number of years ago. The full transits are aften re positioning cruises.

Princess and Holland still offer partial transits on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad using Forums