What are your favorite travel apps to use on IPhone/IPad?

joanne59

When preparing for a cruise, there is so much to do and I have found that CC is a wonderful research tool and has saved me quite a bit of money over the years. Recently, I have been able to use my IPhone and IPad to further help stay organized and research for our ports of call. If there are any like minded folks out there, I would be interested to know which apps have helped you when you are traveling. A few that I am currently using are:

Goodreader-my favorite for storing copies of doucuments, maps, receipts, pics (thanks to a fellow CC member's suggestion)

Expedia/Travelocity/trip advisor

Off maps--great for Europe and just about anyplace

Blogpress--for a travel journal

Weather channel

Currency

Translator

Alarm clock--use it in the cabin

Tripcase

Photopad

Kindle/games

Easyrelax--a little white noise in the cabin at night

Airport apps

And the list goes on....what are your favorite travel apps?

Happy cruising......Joanne

I have both an iPhone and an iPad.

I use WorldMate Gold very often. All of my travel info, reservations and tickets are stored in WorldMate.

I have 8 weather apps.

I have a ton of news apps.

Recently have loaded my medical information into an app for that.

No need to carry a lap top any more!

I have many books in the Kindle app and iBooks app (I compare prices on the 2 before buying a book). Many travel books.

Edited by PennyAgain

I love the technology of today. We are no longer tethered to our computers (or the ships computers) for information, when we travel. Thanks Apple, my newest purchase of the photo connector kit for my IPad ROCKS. Never thought I'd be able to do a live blog (we don't travel with a laptop), but this little gadget is my new best friend :)

Happy cruising....Joanne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
My travel apps of choice are:

Maps.me for offline maps (http://maps.me/en/home)

Atameo as a travel journal/blog/gallery (https://www.atameo.com)

Hyperlapse vor stable video (https://hyperlapse.instagram.com/)

Komoot to plan hiking tours (https://www.komoot.com)

Evernote to keep notes and tickets in one place (https://www.evernote.com)

This thread is over 7 years old and very outdated.

In that case, here are the current apps I use for Android:

Here Maps (for offline mapping, have used it primarily in Barcelona where I wouldn't have cell coverage due to my carrier )

CityMapper (great for cities with transportation options; tells you when the next bus / train will arrive and the quickest way to get somewhere, needs data connection)

Trip It (puts all your plans in one place)

Gas Buddy (don't pay an extra $2 per gallon at the gas station next to an airport when another one a half mile away is regular priced)

I also use the built in alarm function for mornings.

My phone also has an option to turn on the screen if you pick it up - great for checking time in the middle of the night in an interior room.

tripadvisor, priceline, hotwire, laterooms, matrixit, googleair,autoeurope, kemwel, amex weather, airasia, booking, orbitz,, spottedredhanky, thomsonuk, mapquest, michelin ,agoda,travelzoo, lonelyplanet, frommers, fodors, costco, maninseat62, accor, redtag, airtransat, and too many more to mention.

It often depends on where we are travelling, where we happen to be, or what we are looking for...flights, last minute cruise, hotel. Some sites are better than others for certain countries, continents.

Edited by iancal

For my iPhone:

1) Audible and OverDrive, for listening to audiobooks

2) Google Maps. I add specific location maps depending on where I'm going (general maps and transit maps)

3) Airline's own app, for whichever airline I'm flying. Check flight times, get digital boarding passes, etc.

4) Time Tape - this is a great app for being able to see what time it is in various cities (you choose which) so you don't have to calculate time changes, etc.

5) a weather app.....currently I'm using the Yahoo app that came with my iPhone; I've tried others, and this is the best so far

6) Scrabble - I have ongoing games with family members

7) Translation phrasebook, appropriate for wherever I'm going

8) Rise, the Sunrise, Sunset calendar - gives me sunrise and sunset times. Useful for planning (especially planning photography).

9) Boggle. I just like playing Boggle.

10) a sudoku app. a good passtime while waiting or lazing on board.