Mexican Riviera - Feb 2018

ERLEC

We are closely looking into doing the Carnival cruise on the Splendor in Mexican Riviera in February 2018. This is far away, but it's a trip we're considering.

We did all our past cruises in the Caribbeans (Western, Eastern and Southern). Doing a cruise in the Pacific will be a first for us. Any advice? Is the water tend to be more rough in the Pacific? Just wondering... That is going to be the first time we cruise with our kids. The itinerary is the following: Leaving from Long Beach, 1 day at sea, 2 days at Los Cabos, 1 day at Puerto Vallarta and finally 1 last day at sea.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that did this cruise before and at this time of the year. Thanks!

Thanks for those comments. Cold weather and a rough sea is not something we look forward that for sure. We're doing this to escape the cold weather we have here in winter.

Also whale watching while being something interesting for some, it's not really for me. I'm living in Canada and I've seen whales in the St-Lawrence quite a few times already. I'll probably re-think that trip and look for something in the Caribeans instead. Might be more funny for the kids.

Cold is relative. I'm speaking to you as a person who lives in San Diego, CA and Cabo San Lucas. We are probably talking mid-60's on sea days. Once you reach Mexico, should be mid-70's to low 80's.

I've hit some rocky seas on Caribbean itineraries also. Nothing is ever guaranteed.

Cold is relative. I'm speaking to you as a person who lives in San Diego, CA and Cabo San Lucas. We are probably talking mid-60's on sea days. Once you reach Mexico, should be mid-70's to low 80's.

I've hit some rocky seas on Caribbean itineraries also. Nothing is ever guaranteed.

I couldn't agree more

• 2 months later...
The sea days will be chilly to cold. Probably not much time on the pool deck.

It is prime whale season in Cabo so strongly encourage you book a whale watch excursion. Your kids will definitely enjoy that.

DW and I have done the Mexican Riviera cruise 6 times on Princess out of San Pedro. Sea days between Cabo and California can be cool and the waters could be a "little" rough. Our most recent Mexican cruise was Jan 28-Feb 4 this year. The temperatures in Mexico ranged from 22C in Cabo to 26C in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Will be a bit warmer in February when you go. Definitely do a Whale watching tour in Cabo. They do not seem to have the same laws like we have up here in Canada where whale watching tour boats have to stay so many meters away from the whales. The Mexican tour operators almost drive over the pods. (at least they did this when we did in 2010).

We booked our 7th Mexican Riviera cruise this week for February 16, 2018 on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco stopping at Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Mazatlan and Cabo. Booked a balcony and received 500 dollars of on board spending as we used our Future Cruise credit and dinner for two in one of their specialty restaurants, as Princess' Anniversary Sale is on now until Feb. 28/17. Some great perks.

Have fun.

Paul

Definitely do a Whale watching tour in Cabo. They do not seem to have the same laws like we have up here in Canada where whale watching tour boats have to stay so many meters away from the whales. The Mexican tour operators almost drive over the pods. (at least they did this when we did in 2010).

We were in Cabo three weeks ago (early Feb. 2017) and went whale watching with Whale Watch Cabo. I can't speak to 2010, but there are definitely rules now about staying a certain distance from the whales.

I second the recommendation to go whale watching if you are in Cabo during the whale migration season (about Dec.-March). We had a fabulous morning in a small boat (ten adults max) with a cover (a big plus in the sun). Whale Watch Cabo is a terrific operation (we also used them in Puerto Vallarta) and I highly recommend them.

We saw a number of humpback whales, including a mother and her three-week old calf. Mom was teaching baby how to breach. It was spectacular.

Baby%20breaching%203%201024x593_zpsid5knnpi.jpg

Baby%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x648_zpsnvizranu.jpg

Mama%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x896_zpsqwtv8q3c.jpg

Mama%20breaching%202%201024x615_zpsk46upm2q.jpg

Mama%20splash%201024x631_zps1xd7axnu.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

We were in Cabo three weeks ago (early Feb. 2017) and went whale watching with Whale Watch Cabo. I can't speak to 2010, but there are definitely rules now about staying a certain distance from the whales.

I second the recommendation to go whale watching if you are in Cabo during the whale migration season (about Dec.-March). We had a fabulous morning in a small boat (ten adults max) with a cover (a big plus in the sun). Whale Watch Cabo is a terrific operation (we also used them in Puerto Vallarta) and I highly recommend them.

We saw a number of humpback whales, including a mother and her three-week old calf. Mom was teaching baby how to breach. It was spectacular.

Fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing. Glad there are rules in place for keeping the distance from the whales.

Paul

We have a family of 16-18 (depending on the year) that has done the Mexican Riviera in Feb 7 of the last 10 years. The weather has varied, but is usually good.

The first sea day has generally been good for us. This year, a little up and down b/c of the unusual weather pattern that we have had in California.

Cabo was on the cooler side this year 75 and the water a bit cooler too. However, on the second day on Medano Beach, the water seemed to be more calm than usual. On the first day, we always go to the public beach to the left of the Marina--accessed by foot. The water is generally warmer and calmer here. Kids love it.

PV was perfect temperature this year for most of our crew. About 82F. Not too hot. although it has been hotter. There is a beach accessible by foot from the boat. Just cross the parking lot at the dock toward the beach and there is a passage along the fence next to the hotel. Water was good here too. Kids always enjoy it.

If you can manage to get a week where the itinerary stops in Mazatlan, I would recommend it. From the port, there is a short walk to a water taxi across the quay that puts you on Stone Island. Walk 300 yards or so and saddle up at Lety's. The beach is flat and the water/surf really easy.

Coming back on the last two sea days (especially the second) can be cool and breezy. But never choppy that I recall.

I think the Carnival Cruise on the Riviera is perfect for kids. Port activities (either shopping or beaches) are really accessible. The kids in our crew (now range from 9-17) have enjoyed the clubs and activities on the boat.

We've done many, many MR cruises. Winter is a great time to go. Weather is usually mild (mid70s) with little humidity.

Seas can be anything from glass to bumpy. Depends on local weather and what's happening up to coast (Alaska)

Baby%20breaching%203%201024x593_zpsid5knnpi.jpg

Baby%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x648_zpsnvizranu.jpg

Mama%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x896_zpsqwtv8q3c.jpg

Mama%20breaching%202%201024x615_zpsk46upm2q.jpg

Mama%20splash%201024x631_zps1xd7axnu.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Incredible pictures! Thanks for sharing.