First time cruising with kids!! ANY TIPS??

Pier290

Which cruise line? Most cruise lines have age specific children's programs on board directed by trained, qualified ship staff. I would recommend signing them up when you board and get them involved with the first group activities offered. They will meet other children their own age and will have activities designed for them to do with this group during the cruise. Good times for them to be active with kids their own age as well as to allow you some adult time on your own as well.

They will enjoy the kid's club...pretty much a perfect age for the activities. There is a kid's menu, but they do NOT have eat from it...anyone can order off any menu!

Lots of sunscreen, if you're in the Caribbean!

A family vacation is what you're taking...enjoy!

There is a fantastic section under Specialty Cruising about cruising with children. Have a look, it might be helpful in planning.

Also no matter what they both need to go to the kids/teen clubs on the first day -- that is when friends are made, if they miss it they will not really get into the groove of the club.

Pack a complete outfit for each in separate 3-gal zip locks. Shorts, t-shirt, underwear. If it's all matched and together, packing and unpacking is a breeze and you just grab a zip lock when it's time for them to get ready. When the dirty outfit comes off, put it in the empty zip-lock and mark a big X on it (to designate dirty) and toss it in the suitcase (under the bed). On the last day, you are pretty much already packed and you don't have to spend the last day packing. I even do it for myself. I get to enjoy the last day and night of the cruise and all I need to do is pack the carry on with my essentials. It also keeps me from over-packing if I have, at least my day outfits, matched up, bagged and ready to go.Keeps the clean clothes clean and the dirty/damp clothes from ruining anything. Bonus: no sand from a beach day is in the suitcase when I get home.

Pack a carry-on with swimsuits for the kids so they can go to the pool. You might have to wait quite a while to get your luggage delivered.

I also brought a few activities and packaged snacks for excursions. We did a few tour type excursions where the group meal was pretty "exotic" or tours where the time between meals was a bit long for the kids. Having a game and a snack kept them going a bit longer than they otherwise would have. The port shopping area usually has little convenience stores where you can get a packaged snack-but if your excursion leaves really early they may not be open or you may not have time to stop.

• 2 weeks later...

They will enjoy the kid's club. The 11 year old may want to do things on their own with the friends they make onboard, which is fine. Most parents have them meet up with the family for meals or have them stay with the family while on shore. The seven year old will most likely stay with you when they're not doing stuff with the kid's club.

Remember that dinner's in the main dining room(s) tend to be longer on board and more formal than what most kids are used to. At 11 and 7 they probably won't have any issues, but put some thought into how you want to handle meal time.

I cruised Disney as a Dad with a 2, 4 and 6 year old (Mom couldn't travel due to pregnancy), as well as a larger group that included older kids. Disney is good about coloring stuff at the table and more interactive stuff in general, but our 2 year old couldn't keep it together some nights.

Other than that get them into the kids club activities early so they can make friends right away.