Contradictory packing advice!

GlamorousGirl

I'm cruising for the first time on March 20 to the Caribbean on Crown Princess. I've been searching YouTube and online articles about packing. I managed to pick up a lot of the "you wouldn't otherwise think of it" things like magnetic hooks and clips and highlighters. But where it gets dicey is the advice on clothing. Some sources say to pack light (which is something I ordinarily do,) and others say it's too hot to pack light in the Caribbean this time of year, you will be sweating, and want to change at least your shirt daily. This makes sense, so I'm baffled when I read others say to wear things more than once. Sure, if I'm going to a cooler climate or won't be outside in the sun and heat a lot - but I intend to spend most of my time in ports and on deck, not inside the ship. So I'm inclined to follow the advice to pack heavier on this trip even though I usually don't. We do NOT want to have to take time to do laundry on the ship while we're on vacation, at most a splash in the sink with some Woolite but no laundromat. We are driving to port, so checking baggage at an airport is not an issue for us.

Maybe you can help clear up this confusion, and thank you in advance!

Well, I can wear my shorts and shirt twice (or more) if I only go to breakfast in them...not a sweaty thing..eating breakfast! Just bring what you want....I know there are tons of folks who seem to "get by" with 3 outfits for a week..but that's not me, and I have no desire to do that! I'm in my bathing suit for the great majority of the day in a nice climate...so aside from clothes at breakfast, I really only need stuff for the evenings!

For Caribbean travel I strongly suggest you pack light. Evenwith the heat and humidity I found therewas no need to change clothes frequently. You will most likely need to freshen up andchange clothes in the evening for dinner or change in and out of your swimsuitsthroughout the day if you decided to hang out at or in the pool. While in portif you are planning on a beach day you can wear your swim trunks with a tee shirtor swimsuit with a cover up off the ship. In terms of wearing things more than once;this typically applies to what you wear for dinner on board the ship the restaurantswill all have AC. For example you can wear the same bottom with a different topor the same dress with different accessories. No one will notice or even carefor that matter.

Rinse a few thingsout in your bathroom sink and hang dry just bring a travel packet of detergent(normally a tiny sheet found in the travel section of store like Wal-Mart or Target).

“PACK HALF THE CLOTHES AND TWICE THE MONEY”

Febreeze. best invention ever for light packers. spritz your clothing down at night and hang. next morning, almost fresh as a daisy.

obviously this only works if you have a good anti perspirant and don't leave sweat stains everywhere.

I am pretty much never in a bathing suit( i don't do beaches and may do the hot tub once or twice in a week) and I can pack for 10 days in a carry on. all my clothes are travel friendly knits and rayons that are easy to wash and dry overnight on my own. and no, I do not as a general rule take advantage of the wash and fold bags mid way through either.

When we cruise we try to pack light. We manage this by only wearing certain "nice" clothes to things that won't make you sweaty, that way you can save space on stuff you could wear to dinner, around the ship, etc. As far as clothes you'll wear for swimming, shore excursions, etc., they will get sweaty. But no one will notice if you wear your same shirt to the pool the next day. As long as it doesn't smell you'll be totally fine. For this purpose, I usually bring 1-2 coverups and 1-2 shirt/shorts ensembles, and that's always been enough.

A lot of the stuff that people tell you to pack, I typically don't find that helpful. I take a good, hard look at whether it is really worth the space in my suitcase. The space I save by not taking that stuff, I can fill up with clothes ;)

Honestly, bottoms are multi-wear items. I typically will wear clean shirts every day, often packing one for daily wear and one for evening wear; however, I will occasionally wear an evening shirt again during the day or on another evening, mixing up bottoms and tops. I will pretty much live in my swimsuit on a sea day, though.

It's sort of not possible to suggest to others what they should pack.

Everyone is different.

Like we don't ever pack magnet hooks or highlighters.

Sometimes, when you look at those suggested "packing list" posted, you'd not have room for clothes if you took all of the suggested items. :rolleyes: :D

For clothes we take as much as we wish within reason. ;)

It's sort of not possible to suggest to others what they should pack.

Everyone is different.

Like we don't ever pack magnet hooks or highlighters.

Sometimes, when you look at those suggested "packing list" posted, you'd not have room for clothes if you took all of the suggested items. :rolleyes: :D

For clothes we take as much as we wish within reason. ;)

I agree with all the "helpful suggestions" everyone tells you to take. Tape in case your suitcase breaks. I mean how often does that happen and when it does I'm sure the ship will be tape on board. I think some of this depends on amount of people in a room and the cabin itself. If there are four of you in an inside cabin you might need a over the door organizer because your bathroom has a sink and no counter. If you are in a mini suite you have a counter, shelving on both sides of the mirror and under the counter. Four people would be using the same amount of drawers that two might use. I don't need a highlighter. I can read what I want and choose what I want to do. If I want to mark it I can circle the event with a pen.

I do take an extension cord but that is because I have two CPAPs. If you don't, don't bring the extension cord. I don't decorate my door so no need to take up space there.

Some people change their clothes several times a day and some don't change their clothes all week. I have rarely done laundry on a ship except when sailing with young children. How many times during the week at home do you do laundry. Once, well then don't bring your detergent etc.

For me there are certain thinks I like. I drink a lot of water and using those little glasses they have in the cabin doesn't work for me so I bring a 32 oz Tupperware glass. We each have a small travel clock.

So, Op, think of it this way. If you went to Disneyland for a week what would you bring with you to the hotel. The only thing in additional to what you would normally take for a week long trip to Disneyland would be drugs. The stores on board have a limited supply so bring your aspirin, sudefed, sun screen, bandages etc. Make sure you have not only your week's supply of medication but also a few more days after that. At Disneyland how many times a day would you change?

What I wear in the evening AFTER showering from port visits will be what I wear the next day. I don't change multiple times a day unless its into swimwear. 7 day cruise, 3 bottoms and 7 tops that all coordinate with each other. If you need to dress for dinner (depends on the cruise line) then bring a black skirt that will be worn every night and change out a couple of tops and add a scarf or other jewellery to liven it up.

Nobody on board cares if you wear an outfit more than once!!

Here are examples of wearing multiple times. For a day at sea: Swimsuit and t-shirt like cover up and flip flops. I go to breakfast, eat and then go to the pool. I put the t-shirt dress back on (after drying) to go to lunch at the buffet or dining room. That evening for dinner, after showering, I put on a pair of capri's with a top and a pair of sandals. The few mornings later, the t-shirt gets worn with a pair of shorts to go shopping in port or on a tour, with the flip flops. That evening (or the next evening), I'll wear the capri's that I've already worn with a different top and the sandals. On formal night one, I'll wear a pair of dressy slack with a sparkly top. On formal night two (a few days later), I'll wear the same dress slacks with a lace top. You don't wear them back-to-back, but you work the same pieces back into the rotation. I never wear the same t-shirt twice if I've been on an excursion sweating or getting dirty. I wash a few light items out (swimsuits, undies, maybe a t-shirt or gym shorts) in the sink and hang them to dry and re-wear them later in the week. That's why you see the suggestion or mix and matching your separates. We did this for a 7-night cruise with 4 days pre and post cruise and we NEVER wore dirty clothes.

I think this also all depends on your personal definition of "packing light"

In our cruises, even with my kids, I pack everyone one outfit per day. With 4 of us, not a single one of us spends time hanging out or by the pool, and swimsuits are only used for beach days. I would also pack 2 pair of dress pants and 3 shirts for my DH and youngest DS (I had to fight with my oldest to put on a nice shirt and pants for his cousins wedding so he is out). That isn't each that is total! Then again they wear the same size so it helps.

I have to wear dressier clothes for work, even though I work on my feet for 8-10 hours a day. All my nicer clothes are light weight, comfortable rayon type fabrics. They squish up tiny! With clothing like this, I can fit 2 dresses for formal nights in the space 4 pairs of socks take up.

It probably also doesn't hurt that none of us really care to dress to impress. On vacation I run around in old basketball shorts my DS's have outgrown (which also squish up tiny!) Add rayon type tank tops, throw in a sweater and a few T-shirts for colder sea-nights and I am set.

By packing the right things I can fit clothing for 4 for a week in 2 suitcases. When it was just 3 of us last cruise, I did it all in one with a weight I could take on a plane if we were flying.

I actually plan on packing for me and DH's Med Cruise when it won't be very warm in one suitcase. This will include full dress clothes because well MSC isn't where I can get away with the same stuff as say Carnival or NCL.

As for the "extra's" for us, I tend to pack heavy on electronics. Extra camera batteries and chargers, a spare charger cord or two for phones/tablets, those amazing Belkin power/usb strips, and heavy on things like OTC meds. Then again, I pretty much keep a small pharmacy with me at all times since I can come in contact with allergies where I work (oddly enough in a pharmacy!). I would rather take up space with a huge store of OTC meds, than have to pay stupid amounts if they are needed.

Though in the end, you said you are driving to port so pack whatever you want!! When you have to think about packing restrictions, the only time to sit down and have to think about it is when air travel with amount and weight limits apply!

Driving to the port....pack as much as you need. I am leaving Saturday for our cruise. I am flying across the country and still packed enough for a week longer than we will be gone. Bring what you want so you will enjoy your cruise and not wish you brought something you did not.

Every time I try to follow others advice on how to pack I end up unhappy with what I bring. For me, it's simple: If I can carry/handle it myself, it can come. Which is usually a 21 or 24 inch suitcase and 1 other bag, tote bag style. The 21 inch and tote bag are equal in size to bags I've seen on "light-packers" lists. But, for some reason I can't explain I can get a lot more clothing in my suitcase than what is listed on the "light-packers" list. Sometimes what I bring is way LESS then the "light-packers" list, which I guess means I'm a light-light packer? Hmmmmm, so much for lists. I just bring what I think I need.

Anyway, I've never been to the Caribbean but I would probably be on the "different outfit" every day. And can think of no good reason to pack less. Whatever I take just has to fit in the bag I'm bringing. More than WHAT, think of HOW. Roll them tight, put them in packing cubes (I can get a ton of tops in a cube), or put them in ziploc bags and crush out the air. Get a luggage weight scale so you don't go over your limit. Whatever you decide have a great trip.

Edited by Blondilu
add sentence

So I'm inclined to follow the advice to pack heavier on this trip even though I usually don't.

Do you perspire a lot? I mean, your clothes get drenched with sweat? If not, you can pack everything you need in a 21" carry-on bag for a 7 day cruise. Even if you do perspire a lot, you could probably make due to taking just a few extra tee-shirts or tanks, which will pack down small, especially if you roll your clothing or bundle wrap, and still get everything in a carry-on. Shoes take up the most room, but for a Caribbean cruise you could wear your tennis shoes when you embark and pack two pairs of sandles--one nice pair for dressing up and one casual pair for walking around in.

Also, invest in some packing cubes. You would not believe the amount of room you can save in packing by using these wonderful little inventions. You can purchase them cheap through Amazon.

In the end, stick with the idea of continuing to pack light. In the 6 cruises I've been on, I've never needed a highlighter nor used the metal hooks. I would take a regular power strip (NOT a surge protector--apparently those will be confiscated on cruise ships because they mess with the electrical system). In this day and age of more electronics, we all need more outlets than are generally available in the cabins.

Have a wonderful time! :cool:

We always fly to port so baggage is an issue. I like to pack several light weight shirts/shorts and mid way through the cruise will wash them in the sink. Some ships ever have a clothesline strung in the bathroom for drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all; this is very helpful. Since we will be on the cruise 5 days and spending another 7 days making stops during the road trip to and from port, I'm going to try to bring a couple of separate bags (that I can reorganize at each stop) that I will not bring on the ship. Still a bit nervous about the heat in the Caribbean and Miami so I will probably want enough shirts to change them daily for peace of mind, but I will cut back on pants and evening clothes since the inside of the ship is kept cool and with your advice. I'm glad your responses have indicated fewer swimsuits are necessary than I have read elsewhere - I'm going to bring 2 for beaches/pool and one bikini for spa treatments. (Some places I've seen people bringing 5 or more suits!!!) I have one large garment bag, one relatively small rolling bag, 2 small carry-ons for embarkation (one is a backpack we can use on shore excursions and the other just a small carry bag), plus a couple of tote bags for our other stops that we won't bring on the ship. This is my idea of packing "heavy," but as you mentioned with driving down and no airports this is less of a problem. Thanks again!

What I do to cut down a bit is wear to dinner the top I'll then wear the next day. I'm not a sit out in the sun, beach, bathing suit person, but if it's been a sticky day, you'll likely want to change to be fresh for dinner. I just pack tops that are nice enough to dress up a bit with accessories to look nice for dinner, but comfy and light enough for day wear. Of course, this doesn't apply for formal dining outfits. The same rotation could go for sundresses, if that's your preference. With the AC cranking, you might want a light sweater or something in the evening, so even the flimsiest of tank tops will be fine at dinner.

A lot has already been covered, but I invested in 4 pair of the quick dry fabrics for both shirts and shorts. They are lighter weight, dry quicker and actually repel odor and stains.

The came in classic khaki and dressy. I think it was Kohls or JCP for about $20 a pair on sale, and then I have one pair of khaki zip off shorts/pants. For the undershirts I use the same "hi tech" fabric I used while deployed and it tends to keep me cool and dry. Then as it wicks, the shirts pull it and evaporate it. I think they were in the Golf section, granted this is more of a dude opinion, but like others, also wear the shirt the night before in the evening that is going to be worn the next day.

I can fit a week including fins and mask in a 25" spinner.

I've kind of figured out that for some vacations taking the minimum and supplementing need buying clothes at my destinations. There are some things I take and just throw away after I've worn them. For me, that might be T-shirts that should be replaced Usually a small stain or faded and would only be worn for certain activities.

Be careful and make sure you throw clothes away on the last morning or your cabin attendant may take them out of the trash, fold them up, and put back in your closet.:cool:

Most of them pack light mantra is for the air flights vs. the actual cruise. If you are driving and parking bring an extra bag to toss laundry in with some air fresheners.

I tend to sweat and after a while just don't feel clean, so I like to have an extra shirt for that day if need be. For me, if I have the room in my suitcase, I'll bring extra shirts whether I use them or not. Personally, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That is, as long as it fits. Whenever possible, roll your shirts instead of folding them. It saves a ton of space in a suitcase. I take my time rolling my shirts to be sure to remove any wrinkles as I go, that way they're wrinkle free once unrolled. And always account for any additional space needed for souvenirs if you buy them.

I do take an extension cord but that is because I have two CPAPs. If you don't, don't bring the extension cord.
I definitely advise anyone to take an extension cord if they have multiple electronic devices, an alarm clock, or whatever. There's plenty of people out there who say to take a power strip, but an extension cord is much easier to pack and takes up less space. We take an extension cord and a 3-way outlet adapter. Can fit just about anywhere in luggage and gives my family of 3 plenty of plug-ins.

• 3 weeks later...

The packing light craze is somewhat of a recent "fad" (to use an old term) spurred by the airline luggage fees. Some folks are determined to pack whatever they need in small bag or backpack. I guess DW and I are just too old fashioned because we actually pack "heavy." Why not? If we are flying into FLL we use Southwest which still gives us 2 pieces of luggage (each). Otherwise, we might try to cut back to 2 large bags plus 2 overpacked carry-ons. We even do this on HAL and Celebrity where we get free laundry! Why? We just like having a choice of clean clothes and find the hassles of having a few bags no big deal. On a short (less then 2 weeks) Caribbean cruise we can go a bit lighter, but just taking along our snorkel gear (including great fins) takes up a lot of room. And contrary to many cruisers, we still enjoy dressing up on gala./chic nights. We only post this to point out that not everyone is into the "pack light" mode.

Hank

The packing light craze is somewhat of a recent "fad" (to use an old term) spurred by the airline luggage fees. Some folks are determined to pack whatever they need in small bag or backpack. I guess DW and I are just too old fashioned because we actually pack "heavy." Why not? If we are flying into FLL we use Southwest which still gives us 2 pieces of luggage (each). Otherwise, we might try to cut back to 2 large bags plus 2 overpacked carry-ons. We even do this on HAL and Celebrity where we get free laundry! Why? We just like having a choice of clean clothes and find the hassles of having a few bags no big deal. On a short (less then 2 weeks) Caribbean cruise we can go a bit lighter, but just taking along our snorkel gear (including great fins) takes up a lot of room. And contrary to many cruisers, we still enjoy dressing up on gala./chic nights. We only post this to point out that not everyone is into the "pack light" mode.

Hank

I feel much the same. Even though my wife and I often talk about packing lighter (mostly because it seems like the right thing to do) we seldom succeed. We have a "if in doubt, better bring it" attitude, which has always meant getting home and having several items of clothing still unworn and ready to hang back in our closet or go into a drawer. There are worse crimes. Shoes are the biggest pain, frankly. They DO take up more room than they ought to.

The packing light craze is somewhat of a recent "fad" (to use an old term) spurred by the airline luggage fees.

I agree that is part of it, but other reasons could be not wanting your luggage to take a different vacation than what you planned and/or not wanting to wait at baggage claim for almost an hour (at times) for your luggage to be offloaded. Both of these desires predate the luggage fees.

Whatever floats your boat (heh, sorry about that :p). If someone is willing to pay the luggage fees to bring extra bags, more power to them. There are times when I'd rather check my bags than deal with them--it all depends on my mood and circumstances.