Anyone unknowingly board a themed cruise or even big group cruise?? Do tell! LOL

RCLcruiser2012

While researching cruises to make sure my family doesn't book a themed cruise the thought crossed my mind....:')

Wife and I, and another couple, booked a cruise 2 years ago, and about 2 months later I found a post on CC mentioning a "lifestyle" group had booked on the same ship! I went to the groups website, and after a long consideration of approximately 1 second, I called and changed our cruise to another company leaving the same port for the same itinerary. It pays to double and triple check :)

My honeymoon was on a "cruise to lose" with Richard Simmons....nothing wrong with the group in general but obviously while trying to be romantic it did damper the feel a bit when 50 people speed walk by with Richard at the head screaming "come on ladies shake what god gave ya" etc lol....

Sometimes one of the challenges with "group bookings" is when they are for groups from a certain region. Last summer on my Serenade cruise - based on the number of staterooms that weren't available a year out - it was obvious something was going but couldn't figure out what. My TA tried all sorts of inquiries to find out as well - without any luck. Got on board and found out there was a large group from Brazil and a large group from Israel. Between the two groups they had about half the ship booked. First night main dining room late seating was a mad house because of things like language they couldn't seat you in one area of the dining room. Then the other large group was in the other side of the dining room and people wanted to sit with friends to the point where at my original table a couple of people got moved without their knowing (they got to their assigned table and were told by the group who displaced them to go sit at another table). All because because two groups of friends wanted to sit together. So that's my group booking story :)

Once with a quincineara group and once with a steampunk group. SP group was small and aside from the costumes, no problem. They were a nice group. Quince. Let's face it - a gaggle of preteen and teen girls running and screeching and giggling is not the most relaxing way to spend a vacation.

Independence 2014. There was a decent sized group of "Bear" cruisers. Large friendly fellas. They were awesome. Made the street parties on the promenade much more fun. Only issue we had is my wife's nickname for me is "Bear". Told her it'd probably be a good idea to refrain on it for the week...

Sorry, but what on earth is an American girl doll cruise?

I'd rather be on a Gremlins cruise (and I mean actual Gremlins, like no feeding after midnight, don't get them wet, etc) than an American Girl Doll Cruise...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Once with a quincineara group and once with a steampunk group. SP group was small and aside from the costumes, no problem. They were a nice group. Quince. Let's face it - a gaggle of preteen and teen girls running and screeching and giggling is not the most relaxing way to spend a vacation.

I'd take steampunk over Quinceneara any day!

Allure of the Seas February 2017

Freedom of the Seas February 2018

Harmony of the Seas February 2019

We were on the steampunk cruise 2 years ago, I believe it was on Indy. It was interesting. They would pass out little business cards to explain what it was all about when asked about it. Something different that added to the experience for sure.

Perhaps 10+ yrs ago we were just getting in line to board Royal Voyager. Hubby says sure are a lot of people wearing Harley tshirts. I reply they are kinda trendy right now and kept moving thru the line. Bit further and still in line. Hubby says no really. There are a LOT of people wearing Harley shirts. Ok honey. Now checked in and waking up the gang plank and there is a sign that says Welcome Hogs On The High Seas! 2500 Harley Riders and 300 of us "others". Really ended up being uneventful as they had a lot of private functions. The dress code for the dining room was waived for them all wk. Formal nt we are walking to the dining room. I am wearing a full length bright blue sequence gown and DH a tux. In front of us is a couple from the convention probably in their 60's. He is wearing jeans and the black vest with patches. She is wearing a leather halter top that has only bikini top like ties in the back and a pair of leather chaps. That's it! Nothing under the chaps. Just her bare "cheeks" for all the world to see. I said to DH do you think we are over dressed? He says are you wearing underwear which I of course said yes! Well then yes, you are over dressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Never an official group, but it seem every cruise there is a 20-30 people family reunion cruise all wearing the same shirts throughout the cruise, usually themed to the port or sea day it happens to be.

My hat is really off to who ever organizes them, we have family every year that says they are going with us on our yearly cruise, has yet to happen. They usually wait until the week before we leave to make a decision then blame us when the price is now double if there are any cabins available at all.

We were on some sort of country music themed cruise years ago....it didn't bother us. The man in the room next to us modeled his "fancy" overalls for formal night for us...seriously! That was the worst part!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

American Girl Doll cruise & quincineara cruise. NOT a fun experience. The dolls were actually chair hogging at the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't dare tell my Grand Daughter that there was or is an American Girl cruise!! A Canadian American Girl fan.

My honeymoon was on a "cruise to lose" with Richard Simmons....nothing wrong with the group in general but obviously while trying to be romantic it did damper the feel a bit when 50 people speed walk by with Richard at the head screaming "come on ladies shake what god gave ya" etc lol....

I've been on one of those inadvertently as well! I had my husband book a 2 week B2B while I was in Iraq as a welcome home cruise - the first week was the Richard Simmons cruise. :D While the cruise was fine, it was SO surreal to see Mr. Simmons scampering about the ship all week!

DW and I were on a cruise with a large LGBT group several years ago which turned out to be one of our best cruises ever, and we have been on over 50 cruises. We met several members of this group at the M&M and we were invited to their events and wound up having a lot of fun and met some really great people.

We booked Allure last year and then found out it was 'Dirty Pop at Sea" group coming (Lance Bass fan club or something). I know some people in my roll call switched cruises when they found out but didn't bother us. We actually saw them on our Blue Lagoon excursion but there was just a small area if chairs reserved. There were probably venues closed on the ship at times but I didn't notice. And the last night of the cruise they ended up doing a public show . I also saw Lance Bass around the ship a few times which was neat. It really didn't have an impact in our case.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk