How does text messaging work on ship?

Does this actually work on the ship? I know its difficult sometimes to call out. We have Verizon and were thinking of getting walkie talkies with text messaging to keep track of our teen son. But maybe just using the text messenging on the phone would work.

Does this actually work on the ship? I know its difficult sometimes to call out. We have Verizon and were thinking of getting walkie talkies with text messaging to keep track of our teen son. But maybe just using the text messenging on the phone would work.

Yes, it worked just fine but could get expensive. The texts ARE NOT part of your plan even if you have unlimited texting. If you are all on the boat, why not just bring regular walkie talkies?

I am going on the NY-Cape Canaveral-Bahamas cruise. I've checked with Verizon and they tell me that I will be charged roaming at $1.99/min for incoming/outgoing calls and text messages.

Is there a cheaper way to keep in touch? I am travelling with a daughter who loves to stay on the phone.

We have At&t cell service, we purchased a package of 100 internatiional outgoing text messages to be used outside the USA for $9.99. Was told that incoming texts are free since we have unlimited texting plan. Phone calls will be quite expensive though.

Not sure about texting - but with my Blackberry, I called our carrier prior to leaving and added an international service for about $20, and this gave me unlimited emails during our cruise. I didnt always have service, so the emails came in waves. But it was a cheap way to keep in touch. Once we got home, I called and cancelled the service, they pro-rated the price and it ended up costing about $10.

In addition to the international text message package, AT&T offers an international (world traveler) plan that is $5.99 for the month which lowers the per minute fee (including roaming) to between $.99 and $2.99 per minute. My parents have been successful using this almost all over the world. You can add it before you travel and have it take off once you get back. Without the international text plan, it is free to receive text messages (as long as you have messages available in your regular plan) and $.50 to send.

All cruise ship cellular service is provided by WIRELESS MARITIME SERVICES.

See http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm . This site has the list of cruise ships and service providers.

In general the cost is billed by your provider and of course the cruse line, WMS and your provider all get a piece of what you pay. The charge varies by provider but is about 2.95 a minute. You must have international roaming on from your provider. For Verizon texting is about 50 cents a text message sent and .05 for each text message received. The cost is determined by the cruise line, WMS and your provider is in addition to whatever contract you have with your provider.

For example, you and your wife both have cell phone and you call each other aboard the ship for one minute using Verizon as carrier you will be bill $5.90 for you call.

These are international calls so would require country codes.

• 2 weeks later...
we will be on an alaskan cruise - since this is still the united states, is there still a charge for verizon?

Been to Alaska twice. Had no problems and no extra charges with AT&T when in port. As a matter of fact had the strongest signal in Icy Straight.

If it's just on-ship talking with others, use walkie talkies. They don't cost per minute and don't charge you for roaming. :p If it's off-ship talking then it could get expensive, depending where you go.

Archived