Aboard the Reflection now...

Cruiseyorkshire

"The service on the whole has been pretty rubbish and I'm honestly shocked by it- got ignored by the bar tender when waiting yesterday for three other patrons who just walked up because they had obviously made friends a few minutes before. Never felt like this before- feeling very invisible on X."

Sorry to hear about the service or lack of it. Some boosters would have one believe there are no issues with Bar Tenders.

Blu was incredible. A lovely balsamic, mozarella and tomato salad and then fillet mignon. Only spoiled by the fact that our waiter turned out to be the one who tried to push us for a speciality that night too- he seems to have a bit of attitude, never experienced that before. He disappeared at the end of our meal for around fifteen minutes (the Texan next to us went mad- rightly so they hadn't ordered yet!) and didn't bring my boyfriends soup when he brought my salad 10mins before, he walked past and said its okay, I said the soup? He walked off brought it and went 'yeah'. Hmm. The service on the whole has been pretty rubbish and I'm honestly shocked by it- got ignored by the bar tender when waiting yesterday for three other patrons who just walked up because they had obviously made friends a few minutes before. Never felt like this before- feeling very invisible on X.

Have a quiet word with the maître d. I can pretty much guarantee that service will improve immediately. Don't be surprised to see a new waiter serving you the next time you walk in either.

They take negative feedback very seriously and act on it immediately. Remember, they can only improve things if they know you're unhappy. Mention the Texan was unhappy too. It won't hurt

We are on board as well. Our steward told us that a few things have changed. They no longer leave the sparkling wine in the room for when you board. He asked us which night we wanted to have it and he will arrange for it to be on ice in our room.

He also said that there is now only one steward per room (recent change) but they do have less rooms to do. So he checked with us what time we would be dining so he could get our rooms ready for the night.

Dined at the Porch last night ($20 each for the first night). Hardly any of us in there but the food was excellent. They were offering 30% off the other restaurants. Hit the zoo this morning about 9am which was a mistake. Won't be doing that again - bit chaotic in there as well.

Show was good last night and checked with Sue this morning if our favourite group from the Eclipse last year would be on this cruise. They are so we have that to look forward to. She has a new entertainments manager working with her. There seem to a few new staff as well as they are being shown what to do- unless they have been moved from other areas.

Totally different feel to the Baltics cruise last night - seems to more of a party atmosphere and far more different nationalities on board. 49 different nationalities ( and that is the passengers).

Sorry to hear about the hard sales tactics. We were last on X in 2013 for our honeymoon and I was really put off by it. Interestingly, that cruise was in the midst of four consecutive cruises on four different lines, and X was by far the worst in that respect. NCL, ironically, was the least pushy.

We'll be back on X (Reflection) for a family cruise later this year and as much as I will try not to be, I will be annoyed if I'm harassed the entire first day with upsell pitches. Totally not "Modern Luxury."

Evening all,

Thought I would share some live reports from the Reflection.

We're aboard with Captain Skylogiannis and Sue Denning as Director. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us this week!

Embarkation was a very quiet affair, we arrived from Rome at around 11.30 (and hour and 10 drive after a stop at the Azamara Journey to drop off some companions). Suprised how many people were not there- thought we may be cruising with a very small number for five minutes! On Aquaclass so we were straight through but the girl couldn't find our key cards- so took a bit longer.

Jumped on the ship and she's looking well. All areas were absolutely spotless- 10/10. Went up to the solarium for some quiet time- lots of children on this sailing it seems running around everywhere. Maybe just the first day of the holiday bug.

The Spa cafe was quiet too but we stupidly went to the zoo for lunch at around 2.30 after soaking in the hot tub! It seems the entire contingent of our cruise had joined us there... Lesson learned for future!

Our AQ cabin, 1605, has an extra deep balcony so it's good. The toiletries smell a bit odd this time- very cucumber- so getting a wash is a bit like making a salad. No sparkling wine in stateroom either- have X stopped this?

One thing bothering us is the persistence of pushing beverage packages and the specialities on board. I've never been on a cruise where they've been pushed so hard even though I usually class the first day as the hard sell day. We have a classic package (don't drink much!) but I usually always have the highest package maybe this is why I haven't noticed this, but we haven't yet given our card to someone without them telling us to upgrade and really going for it. Even a waiter from Blu was pushing the specialities on us when we have booked for Blu, and I said I think the menu with the fillet mignon is just fantastic for me tonight, and he turned his nose up and curled his lip? I'm so suprised by this and more than a little uncomfortable at how hard they are going at it.

To be honest I'm not sure if it's because we are a young couple but it seems that everyone we try and politely decline is very angry at us for not upgrading or buying speciality! (We paid an arm and a leg already, thanks X!)

Thanks for your live report! Could you possibly do some investigating for me? It's been mentioned that on Eclipse currently those passengers who have Premium Alcohol Beverage Packages also get the in-room mini bar included; could you confirm if this is now fleet wide please?

Thank you!

Jason in Nova Scotia

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JasYHZ

Thanks for your live report! Could you possibly do some investigating for me? It's been mentioned that on Eclipse currently those passengers who have Premium Alcohol Beverage Packages also get the in-room mini bar included; could you confirm if this is now fleet wide please?

Thank you!

Jason in Nova Scotia

I'll try and ask Sue when I find her. We have a sea day tomorrow so hopefully all questions can be answered for you guys by then!

Edited by Cruiseyorkshire

Sorry to hear about the service or lack of it. Some boosters would have one believe there are no issues with Bar Tenders.

That is one way to look at it. Or perhaps some people (I am one) just have never had an issue with the Bar Servers?

I've personally never had an issue either. But I'm just finding that this cruise and it's very unexpected, to be honest. I always treat servers with the utmost respect and wait my turn (queueing is my nationalities trait after all ;)) therefore I am suprised to be so ignored. Maybe I am just not a strong enough personality to be amongst some fellow cruisers with a bit more presence.

I've personally never had an issue either. But I'm just finding that this cruise and it's very unexpected, to be honest. I always treat servers with the utmost respect and wait my turn (queueing is my nationalities trait after all ;)) therefore I am suprised to be so ignored. Maybe I am just not a strong enough personality to be amongst some fellow cruisers with a bit more presence.

From reading the reviews on C.C. some state there are less Bar Tenders now, if so, that could be a big part of the current problem. If one was to read the last four reviews on the Reflection, every one had a negative about Bar service.

I thought a recent reviewer on the Equinox (last week or two) reflected my experience well regarding the service.

"Sunset Bar Better set-up than on Reflection but never really warmed to it. Staff were brusque unless selling the premium package." Brusque, now why didn't I think of that word, spot on.

We board as you depart,

Last year on Equinox, we were only asked to upgrade drinks, the first evening.

I'm also from UK and wait my turn as well. I get grumpy when other nationalities consider it their duty to push in.

If you read other threads about tipping , you will find that their are many passengers, who bung the bar staff a bribe, oops a tip to make sure they get great service

Wow - yes to the up selling of the alcohol package! I have had it on other cruises and at the time it was worth it, but for the circumstances of this cruise, it is not (I am travelling as a 'single mom' and need my wits about me). And they are relentless! I have explain and say a very firm 'no' at least three times to each server! It's almost to the point I don't want to order a drink!

I have explain and say a very firm 'no' at least three times to each server! It's almost to the point I don't want to order a drink!

Unacceptable -- you should not be put in that position on vacation, and you definitely do not owe any bartender an explanation!

We board as you depart,

I'm also from UK and wait my turn as well. I get grumpy when other nationalities consider it their duty to push in.

If you read other threads about tipping , you will find that their are many passengers, who bung the bar staff a bribe, oops a tip to make sure they get great service

Most people are decent but you do get the odd one that expects their tip in advance to give them preferential service. Should this happen, then it should be reported to higher ups. It's very irrititating to be third in line for a drink and someone saunters up and gets served before the first in line. You can either accept that poor behavior or take action.

I've seen that. It reminds me of the signs you see in the Everglades "Do not feed the alligators". Or in the Rockies, "Do not feed the bears" as it changes their behaviour in a negative way! :rolleyes: :)

We've been approached to upgrade but agree it really is very bad at the start of the cruise and then soon stops. Sadly we have had appalling service from one bar tenders and bad service from another. They are the weakest link in the chain when it comes to the usual very good Celebrity customer service we're used to in our first hand experience.

No sign of Sue last night at the SocietyX event, went up especially to find her. Not sure if she was hiding but we were there from the beginning and no sign although there were several events on at once, will try to find her today.

SocietyX was a very strange affair, the Indulgence show, was very odd for me. I enjoyed the music, but not sure on the false American and British accents and laughs- I know it's a show but it was all very awkward and many people seemed to think so.

Just curious, what is SocietyX ? Is this the Captain's club or something else? And what was the Indulgence show?

I'm sure they're having a great time, we still are. The hard sell seems to have died down mostly today (a couple of comments is all) and the service last night up in the lounge on 15 was good, as well as in the entertainment court bar. No need to worry as the cruise itself is very good (maybe we only notice because we've cruised several times before!)

I see you are in Kusadasi on Tuesday. Could you please provide your impressions regarding security? There was another major bombing in Turkey yesterday, although a long distance away. Did many stay on the Ship? Thanks

Edited by janewe

I've seen that. It reminds me of the signs you see in the Everglades "Do not feed the alligators". Or in the Rockies, "Do not feed the bears" as it changes their behaviour in a negative way! :rolleyes: :)

We've been approached to upgrade but agree it really is very bad at the start of the cruise and then soon stops. Sadly we have had appalling service from one bar tenders and bad service from another. They are the weakest link in the chain when it comes to the usual very good Celebrity customer service we're used to in our first hand experience.

Which are the bars you are getting the bad service?

Thank you!

Jason in Nova Scotia

We have the Premium Drinks Package and no mention so far of the mini bar being included at all.

The Hard sell seemed to have died down thankfully by yesterday - the sea day. We have the premium package so we seem to have been left alone but even the guys with the drinks carts round the pool were trying to push the upgrade.

Heard a few complaints yesterday about the entertainment noise around the pool -a DJ hosting pool games which went on for a couple of hours in all. Seem to be trying to turn it into more of a party atmosphere.

Security has been pretty tight so far. Bags were screened in Messina port and then again when we got on board. Think Mykonos will be a bit different today. Long queues in Messina as Carnival Vista was docked behind us and we all had to use the same entrance.

We are also on the ship now too and having an amazing time. Yes there was an aggressive push of drink packages the first day or two but definitely has died down. Also an aggressive push of specialty dining. We were in the ocean view cafe eating lunch yesterday. Someone from Murano came to our table saying recognized us from eating in Blu and thought we would like Murano at $45 per person . We politely looked at the menu and said we would think about it. We are loving Blu and see no reason to dine elsewhere.

The service has been great, beautiful ship and weather perfect. Sue Denning is a fantastic cruise director. We were at the pool yesterday and the Olympic themed events were fun to watch . Yes it was noisy and crowded but there are plenty other quieter places to go. No complaints from me.

I will endeavour to find our sparkling wine then!

I didn't realise the gratuity went straight to them, now I realise why! It's a very hard sell to be honest and very uncomfortable.

The cabin is fabulous! Jealous of our neighbours hot tub though..!

We will ask Sue indeed, do you have the date? She's at the Societyx night tonight so I'm sure we will interact then.

Any word on whether Sue will be on the Reflection TA - 21 Oct 2016?

We board as you depart,

I have no qualms about telling someone pushing in and the person serving if I was there first. No need to be rude just assertive.

We board as you depart,

I'm off the Reflection today and having a look at what people think about the cruise. Regarding tips........A bribe?? I hope that was tongue in cheek as I tipped the bar staff when I thought they deserved it. In the Martini bar they ring the bell when they get a tip. On Caribbean cruises the bell rings a lot. Sadly it doesn't ring much on European cruises. Says a lot more about the 'customers' than the staff?

My 4th cruise with X (was on Reflection in February) and staff numbers are declining rapidly as is the service, in places. I was interested to see that as I had pre paid gratuities my state room attendant made zero effort but my friends who didn't pre pay were given a great service! IF I sail with X again I won't pre pay.

Blu was superb, although the Maitre De didn't recognise us even though we had done 21 nights in blu with him in the last year! Yes I know he sees a lot of people but so do the bar staff but some of them recognised me (says more about me) and Maranos a huge disappointment. Entertainment very hit and miss and I'm still confused what the show Eylisium was about?!!

All in all it was a nice cruise with gorgeous ship and weather. I'm not sure if we'll go with X again for a number of reasons but may go back in a couple of years, never say never!