New ship out of Cape Liberty ?

pjgavaghan

I was on the Summit last week one of the officers at the Connections party mentioned that a new ship would be leaving Out of Cape I retry in 2017. Checking out the website cannot see any other ship than the Summit leaving out ol Cape Liberty?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the Summit last week one of the officers at the Connections party mentioned that a new ship would be leaving Out of Cape I retry in 2017. Checking out the website cannot see any other ship than the Summit leaving out ol Cape Liberty?

Just to let you know the Celebrity rumor mill on board the ships is absolutely horrible. This even among people supposedly in the know, its always been that way. I don't believe anything until I see a press release.

Just to let you know the Celebrity rumor mill on board the ships is absolutely horrible. This even among people supposedly in the know, its always been that way. I don't believe anything until I see a press release.

LOL. That reminds me of how the rumor mill was where I worked. Never repeated anything until I heard it from a really good source. And management. Was usually the last to know anything.

Totally agree Don. Besides, the Celebrity schedule is known into April 2018, so there's probably nothing to what the OP was told.

Don't get us wrong, most of us would love to see a newer ship out of NJ, whether it be another ship or an S class ship going to Bermuda.

Celebrity/RCL spent a lot of money building a new terminal and parking garage. I'm sure there are some plans down the road. There's a big market in the NE of folks who don't want to fly to FL to catch a cruise ship.

Edited by Wine-O

Celebrity/RCL spent a lot of money building a new terminal and parking garage. I'm sure there are some plans down the road. There's a big market in the NE of folks who don't want to fly to FL to catch a cruise ship.

I agree.

We've sailed out of Cape Liberty 4 times and would do a Caribbean cruise from there. So much easier to get to Newark than Florida and the new terminal is very nice.

Moving a ship there in 2017 would result in another major schedule change since 2017 cruises have been booked for a while. If they were considering it, it would have made sense to move Equinox there for the summer of 2017.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I wouldn't expect any change if at all with the Summit to Bermuda until 2019, after the new Edge ship is introduced.

If the Edge Class is introduced. There has been quite a dearth of information for a ship that is suppose to launch in 2018 according to the initial press release.

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 16 times with number 17 coming up in 10 days. While we loved Constellation and now Summit and we also did Silhouette the winter they had her here we have now had to do 3 RCCL Cruises because Celebrity does not have a ship home ported here all year long.

We would welcome a new (different) ship to sail on.

Funnily enough, I have also recently been told about another ship being 'swapped' with Summit for the Bermuda runs (they did name the ship). For what it's worth, I wasn't on Summit, but took what I was told by a staff member with a pinch of salt (hence me not saying anything until I'd just read this thread). Nothing was quoted about the timeframe, but now I'm wondering if it will indeed come to fruition, or if it is a rumour circulating through the ships?

Funnily enough, I have also recently been told about another ship being 'swapped' with Summit for the Bermuda runs (they did name the ship). For what it's worth, I wasn't on Summit, but took what I was told by a staff member with a pinch of salt (hence me not saying anything until I'd just read this thread). Nothing was quoted about the timeframe, but now I'm wondering if it will indeed come to fruition, or if it is a rumour circulating through the ships?

There was a lot of chatter about this several months back, mostly theorized around the various chartering Summit was doing.

To my knowledge nothing ever came from it. When they were releasing itineraries, one of the S class ships appeared to be missing a block of time that would have lent it to Bermuda, but that has since been published and no longer makes sense.

Maybe they meant RCL is putting another ship there?

Do they lease space out to other lines when not in use by the RCL family?

Hi, Curt. As far as I know the only other ship here next year is the Vision of the Seas for a few sailings in September-October. Maybe that's what the officer was referring to.

Don't get us wrong, most of us would love to see a newer ship out of NJ, whether it be another ship or an S class ship going to Bermuda.

An S class can't dock at Kings Wharf. (likely Edge can't either, but that I don't know) S would have to dock at Heritage Wharf. So Breakaway would have to leave Bermuda. I don't see that happening. So it is going to have to be a Millennium Class ship for the forseable future unless the Kings Wharf berth is modified or Breakaway leaves.

Edited by Charles4515

An S class can't dock at Kings Wharf. (likely Edge can't either, but that I don't know) S would have to dock at Heritage Wharf. So Breakaway would have to leave Bermuda. I don't see that happening. So it is going to have to be a Millennium Class ship for the forseable future unless the Kings Wharf berth is modified or Breakaway leaves.

They modified the pier for Breakawaym they could do it for an S class ship.

Are you sure an S class ship couldn't fit? I recall sailing the larger Explorer of the Seas into Kings Wharf in 2010. I just checked my pictures and confirmed... the smaller NCL ship was behind it at Heritage Wharf, where Breakaway currently docks.