Summit alcoholic drinks and transportation on Bermuda

vango

We are cruising on the Summit at the end of May. What can we expect to pay for beer and wine?

Is the bus/ferry system easy to use? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Public transportation is great. Schedules are available on line now if you want to do some pre-planning. We always get a pass, but you should figure out how much you will use it before you decide to get a pass or tokens. A little hint when you take the bus, the posts at the stops are either blue or pink. The blue posts are for buses going away from Hamilton and the pink are going towards Hamilton. We were able to get everywhere we wanted using public transportation.

We are cruising on the Summit at the end of May. What can we expect to pay for beer and wine?

Is the bus/ferry system easy to use? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Your transportation options in Bermuda are fairly limited. No rental cars.

So, either you use public transit, or a taxi. Taking a long run taxi ride is going to be very costly.

When we go, DW and I get a three day transit pass - then you can take the bus or ferries for the duration of your stay. The bus system is easy to understand (read kimbia's response: pink poles to Hamilton, blue poles from Hamilton) and the bus drivers are very helpful. Tell them where you're going, and they'll tell you how to get there and tell you when to get off. Ferries for the long haul (Dockyards to Hamilton or St. Georges) and buses locally work well.

Bermuda is a long string of individual islands, so getting end-to-end (Dockyards to St. Georges, for example) is a really long haul. We did that run once by bus and won't do it again.

We just returned from Bermuda on the summit. Be careful about the bus on the last day-we couldn't get picked up by the bus because they were too full. Sooo...it was either a cab or wait an hour and cut it close. We took a $40 cab from the lighthouse by horseshoe bay back to the dockyard. Have a back up plan on the last day. We were not happy campers...but we understood-no more room!

I know many swear by the 3 day pass but we found for us that buying tokens was the most economical. We took the ferry to St George the first day. You have to be ready to leave the ship ASAP after docking. The ferries get filled up and then they leave before the scheduled time if full.

The next day we went to Hamilton on the fist ferry going there. There really isn't much there. We came back on the ferry that left there around 1:00 or so don't remember the exact time but we also waited about 45 minutes in advance and it was also full. I think many like the festival in the evening but we weren't interested.

The last day we hung around the dock yard and it rained

happy cruising 🌊🚢🌞🇺🇸

We just returned from Bermuda on the summit. Be careful about the bus on the last day-we couldn't get picked up by the bus because they were too full. Sooo...it was either a cab or wait an hour and cut it close. We took a $40 cab from the lighthouse by horseshoe bay back to the dockyard. Have a back up plan on the last day. We were not happy campers...but we understood-no more room!

Good to know. We'll definitely plan our last day accordingly.

I watched the Summit sail this afternoon on the NY Harbor webcam. :D

Your transportation options in Bermuda are fairly limited. No rental cars.

So, either you use public transit, or a taxi. Taking a long run taxi ride is going to be very costly.

Or scooters. We have used them on every visit to BDA, including business trips (30 - 40). I know some will consider them dangerous. One thing we do is to each rent our own scooter so we don't have to worry about both leaning the same way at the same time:D

It is fairly easy to use the Bermuda public transportation but you definitely have to give yourself a lot of time to get from one place to the next.

We were just in Bermuda last week - we avoided the morning Ferry rush and waited until after lunch and took the 1:30 ferry to Hamilton, then transferred to a bus to Crystal Caves/Swizzle Inn...the bus station is about 3 blocks away from the ferry. The buses run about every 15 mins.

Many had trouble getting back on the ferry, when they are full they leave. We bussed it back, it was a long ride...again, you have to transfer at the main station and take a different bus to Kings Wharf but as long as you have time it works.

If I needed to be somewhere at a certain time I'd take an expensive cab ride.

Julie

Watch for drink specials on board. Last year when we sailed to Bemuda they sometimes offered 2 for 1 on the dark and stormy and rum swizzle during. A happy hour at a few bars.

The Frog and Onion at the Boat Yard also had a 2 for one on the same drinks. the Swizzle is basically a rum punch. Many make a special trip to the Swizzle Inn/bar as it is to many a must do. It is about the same as any other must do place like Margaritaville or Señor Frogs. You can look them up on their website and determine if you want to make the special trip. We spent a lot of time at Frog and Onion during their happy hour and had a great time socializing with passengers from both ships.

Drink up 🍹🍸🍷🍺🍻

Hello fellow cruisers ....

We are leaving on May 24th for our HONEYMOON on the celebrity summit. I like to have few drinks is it worth it to buy the classic or premium drink package ? It's $55 or $65 dollars per day.

We are leaving on May 24th for our HONEYMOON on the celebrity summit. I like to have few drinks is it worth it to buy the classic or premium drink package ? It's $55 or $65 dollars per day.

There are many threads on this, which you can find by using the search function under forum tools.

It is important to remember that the bev packages include beverages other than alchoholic, such as soda, water, lattes and cappuccino. I mention this so that when you are deciding if the package makes sense for you, you include these non-alchoholic beverages in the calculation.

It all depends on what your definition of "a few" is. For us it's not worth it. You cannot share packages so DH and I would both have to spend $55 per day plus 18% gratuity. For a one week cruise the total would be $908.60. Our bar bill would never be that big. Okay, I should never say never, but on all the cruises we have taken it's never been close to that amount for a one week cruise.

I know many swear by the 3 day pass but we found for us that buying tokens was the most economical. We took the ferry to St George the first day. You have to be ready to leave the ship ASAP after docking. The ferries get filled up and then they leave before the scheduled time if full.

The next day we went to Hamilton on the fist ferry going there. There really isn't much there. We came back on the ferry that left there around 1:00 or so don't remember the exact time but we also waited about 45 minutes in advance and it was also full. I think many like the festival in the evening but we weren't interested.

The last day we hung around the dock yard and it rained

happy cruising

I agree. I first bought the 2 day pass but because of the mob of people it took forever to get out of the dockyard so while I was waiting I started to think how I didn't need the pass. I went back to the information center and they credited my 2 passes for the $63. Over the 2 days I spent $45 in tokens so I saved a few bucks.

Thanks!

Beer $5.00 and up to $35.00 for one of the top end craft beers.

Wine should start around $6.00 and up, and up, and up!:D

EW

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each using the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Depends on how you make use of the package.

We have upgraded to the Premium on our last 2 cruises. Our friends stayed with the Classic and were fine. I like the Craft beer selection, the wine the wifester drank last yr was $14.00 a glass x 3 @ dinner = $42.00 without a pkg every dinner.

Edited by wallie5446