Farewell my CC friends, from chesterh

chesterh

Cruising as a newbie and writing about my experiences here on CC (2002 - 2006?) was truly the most fun I ever had. I made so many hundreds of friends here, I still consider it my home - even though my cruising days are over.

There’s no sense dancing around the plain facts. I am a fertile breeding ground for cancer. It’s growing in my body like Kudzu grows in Georgia. Yes, I’ll battle for control, but the outcome is certain – and it will probably be swift.

As with other major events in my lifetime, I’m inclined to write about my experience. My mother (remember the still incomplete "Cruising with the Mothers" tale?) even suggested outright that I do so:

“... Surely it has occurred to you that you should write about this. Maybe it would give you a diversion. (On the other hand, maybe enough is enough.) But you write so well and observe what others don't always see. I'll bet you could explain what is happening better than the average dear soul who never expected to get clobbered with cancer…”

I would like to celebrate the time that’s left by remembering the past and considering the future with my friends. I can already tell that it won’t be easy as my faculties are compromised, but one must make the best of a given situation. Perhaps I can manage to share some useful tips along the way. I dearly want to do whatever I can to ease the transition for the love of my life, Kris, and hope that those who can help will do what they can.

I don't know how many of my CC friends are still lurking here, but I did want to let those who remain know I have one more story to tell. In any case, I will probably do most of my writing on my own website (chesterh.com), so you can check there occasionally if you like.

No matter what, I do want to say, “Thank you,” to all who have been with me along the road or on the seas. It’s been a good ride.

With Love,

"Chesterh"

• Thanks 1

Oh ChesterH

My thoughts are with you. Hopefully you have your family around............with of course your memories.

As someone in remission, I can empathise somewhat........it's the sword of damocles.....you never know where or when it's going to fall..............

God be with you

xx

So sorry to hear. Classy summary message by our New Hampshire friend, plus so many nice comments and thoughts from others here in this Cruise Critic community. God Bless You!!

Took a look at your http://www.chesterh.com. Nice and interesting!! Cute book that you did. Great writing skills. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 71,790 views for this fun posting.

Good luck with your battle.

My wife had cancer 10 years ago, 2 operations and further treatment followed. The after effects had a huge effect her health and on our plans for retirement, mainly as she is not allowed to fly.

She fought hard and was determined to beat it, so she is still around to keep me in order! We don't cruise so much now, and have spent the money on our garden instead, which she really enjoys.

Best wishes for the future.

The Midnight buffet is at any hour you would like it to be! You've brought so much happiness to all of us here, and our thoughts are with you now as you fight the big battle.

Enjoy every minute of every day with those you love, and know that you are very special to many, many people -- including all of your friends here at CC.

Oh the posting fun we had back then! You were always one of the calming voices when folks would get all rilled up about 'much to do about nothing':D No need to pack, a new suit awaits, and a cabin on a ship that never sails on rough seas.

Edited by wallie5446