World Class Bar & Gastrobar

Newbury newbie

I've seen mention of the World Class Bar and Gastrobar as new on the Eclipse. Are these the same or different venues? Is one (or either) located in the old Cellar Masters? What are they all about?

I'm on the Reflection in July - are these venues also on that ship?

I have a friend currently sailing on the Eclipse and this is what he has reported:

The pricing at the World Class Bar ( in place of the Molecular Bar) is either $13/$15 for the drinks they make, or they are part of the Premium drink package.

Just talked to one of the staff in the Gastrobar/Passport bar and here's what he said.

Two days ago they added a couple of wall coolers for beer and increased the beer selection somewhat.

For the remainder of this cruise the area will be called Gastrobar from 12:00 till 4:00, then called the Passport bar till closing. The food menu will be different between the Gastrobar and the Passport bar.

What's going to happen for the next cruise is anybody's guess!!! :confused:

The Cellar Masters remains as is for now.

He has used his precious internet minutes to answer my questions so I won't be asking him any more but at least it's a start.

I feel SO badly for the crew on the Eclipse right now.

Can you imagine not only trying to navigate what you are currently serving, but then explaining it to passengers. :eek: :confused: :p

He also explained that the $15 drinks in the World Class Bar are NOT included in the premium package and would be $2 + 18% extra for people that had that. :(

What will happen on Reflection in July is anybody's guess.

Edited by chamima

Its OK - everyone will just cop it . Celebrity could make it $20 a drink , pay an extra $7 ontop of the premium package price and hardly anyone would say boo.

Yep, a Redbull and cheap vodka in a Miami nightclub would be $21, or $25 with Grey Goose. So $12, $13, and $15 drinks are a relative bargain comparatively speaking considering the concept seems to be a more craft-oriented experience, and not just a booze and mixer in a glass. A $1, $2, or $3 upcharge makes a lot of sense for a revenue generation standpoint. All the profits come from the onboard spend, so anything to enhance that leads straight to the bottom line.

I did an analysis in another thread recently, and basically RCI overall brings about 9% of revenue to the bottom line. Onboard spend accounts for about 26% of revenues, and cabin fares 74%. So it's clear its the onboard spend that is most critical piece they have to work it. Interesting as well to note, I looked back 10 years, and the 26% was pretty steady year over year....as was the 9% that varied 12% to 9%.

I had premium Package on Connie, and ordered the 25 year martini for $15, was billed the $2 uncharge, as expected. And I hated the drink. So I recommend to anyone avoiding it. The 20 year, however was delicious when they had it.

Once more drinks start being priced above the Premium Package and people willingly pay the difference then there is only one way this will go. Soon the Premium Package will be more like the Classic Package or they will introduce an 'ultimate' package above the Premium one to cover the items that are excluded.

The regular comparison to New York or Miami bar costs does not translate to a ship which a) has a captive audience b) buys everything Tax Free and c) pays much lower labor costs than on land.

The regular comparison to New York or Miami bar costs does not translate to a ship which a) has a captive audience b) buys everything Tax Free and c) pays much lower labor costs than on land.

And judging by the number of times I've read comments on CC about "hating the Miami DJ" many of the passengers on Celebrity Cruises are unlikely to be familiar with the Miami Nighclub Scene.

Once more drinks start being priced above the Premium Package and people willingly pay the difference then there is only one way this will go. Soon the Premium Package will be more like the Classic Package or they will introduce an 'ultimate' package above the Premium one to cover the items that are excluded.

Agree !

That's $17.70 per drink after the 18% grat, or $35.40 for a round of 2 if you don't have the premium drink package. $4.72 if you do :(

And couple this with the increase in the price of the packages.

How would you feel if you paid $65 + 18% = $76.70 a day and then found out it was ANOTHER $2 (+ 18%) to get that drink. :(

I had premium Package on Connie, and ordered the 25 year martini for $15, was billed the $2 uncharge, as expected. And I hated the drink. So I recommend to anyone avoiding it. The 20 year, however was delicious when they had it.

Another passenger that I know told me the same about the 25 year and 20. He like the 20 much more and didn't like the 25 and told me not to waste any money on it.

drink up 🍹🍸🍷🍻🍺

How would you feel if you paid $65 + 18% = $76.70 a day and then found out it was ANOTHER $2 (+ 18%) to get that drink. :(

Personally it doesn't bother me... It's a simple choice... If it bothers you don't order a $15 drink! If it doesn't enjoy the new bar! [emoji483][emoji39]

The point is I feel Celebrity moved the goal posts. We paid for two premium drinks packages for our next two cruises based on the drinks in the Molecular bar. Ok so they take away the Molecular Bar (one of those things) but then Replace it with a similar concept but all of a sudden the drinks are not in the package.

We spent every evening of our last Celebrity cruises, one of 17 nights and one of 18 nights in the Molecular and was planning the same for our 18 night cruise next year. That's a lot of $2 plus 18% in my mind.

If the extra $2 bothers you, don't order the drink. Plenty of options for those that wish to stay within the premium pkg limits. Personally for an extra $2 and I liked the sound of the drink I'd give it a try. What the heck! [emoji483][emoji484][emoji483][emoji484]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The point is I feel Celebrity moved the goal posts. We paid for two premium drinks packages for our next two cruises based on the drinks in the Molecular bar. Ok so they take away the Molecular Bar (one of those things) but then Replace it with a similar concept but all of a sudden the drinks are not in the package.

We spent every evening of our last Celebrity cruises, one of 17 nights and one of 18 nights in the Molecular and was planning the same for our 18 night cruise next year. That's a lot of $2 plus 18% in my mind.

I think you're find there's more drinks included then not!

Then it's simple.... Either stick to the drinks that are included in the premium package at the new bar... Or downgrade you're drinks package to the classic one and not only enjoy that one but save money as well! [emoji33]

Edited by MR_T

If the extra $2 bothers you, don't order the drink. Plenty of options for those that wish to stay within the premium pkg limits. Personally for an extra $2 and I liked the sound of the drink I'd give it a try. What the heck! [emoji483][emoji484][emoji483][emoji484]

Exactly [emoji483][emoji41]

I am not sure about this but will add a new thought I believe. Celebrity was most likely paying some type of franchise fee for the Molecular Bar. Now they are likely receiving a sponsorship fee from Diageo. It is a win/win scenario for Celebrity.

If this has already been brought up, my apologies.

Since the discussion is specifically related to the new pricing at the World Class Bar, nobody knows at this time except those that have been on board exactly how broad those "plenty of options" are since there has not been a price list posted on the boards that has a listing of how many drinks are $13.00 and how many are $15.00. All of the other bars and their drinks are irrelevant to the discussion.

Previously, 100% of the drinks at the Molecular bar were covered by the Premium package. At this point without seeing a specific drink list with costs involved, what is the percentage that will now be covered? 50%? 75%? It's real easy to add an additional 150.00 to your tab if you and your partner consume 65 of them (15.00 drinks) over the course of a 10 day cruise. I don't care how much money you have......150 bucks is still 150 bucks that I did not have to spend to enjoy the delicious concoctions at the Molecular Bar.

Since the discussion is specifically related to the new pricing at the World Class Bar, nobody knows at this time except those that have been on board exactly how broad those "plenty of options" are since there has not been a price list posted on the boards that has a listing of how many drinks are $13.00 and how many are $15.00. All of the other bars and their drinks are irrelevant to the discussion.

Previously, 100% of the drinks at the Molecular bar were covered by the Premium package. At this point without seeing a specific drink list with costs involved, what is the percentage that will now be covered? 50%? 75%? (10%? ) It's real easy to add an additional 150.00 to your tab if you and your partner consume 65 of them (15.00 drinks) over the course of a 10 day cruise. I don't care how much money you have......150 bucks is still 150 bucks that I did not have to spend to enjoy the delicious concoctions at the Molecular Bar.

Agree.

The point is Celebrity (once again) moved the goal posts.

Just feels bad in my gut.

And I know - if it bothers me don't order those drinks. Okay so I won't but it still bothers me. :(

Edited by chamima

Previously, 100% of the drinks at the Molecular bar were covered by the Premium package. At this point without seeing a specific drink list with costs involved, what is the percentage that will now be covered? 50%? 75%? It's real easy to add an additional 150.00 to your tab if you and your partner consume 65 of them (15.00 drinks) over the course of a 10 day cruise. I don't care how much money you have......150 bucks is still 150 bucks that I did not have to spend to enjoy the delicious concoctions at the Molecular Bar.

I was referring to those that did not wish to pay a $2 surcharge could elect to order one of the mentioned $13 offerings in the package. I think from what's been publicised thus far it is suggested SOME, not ALL drinks would be at the higher $15 price. If they are well I agree Celebrity will not see a positive uptake to their new offering.

And if you choose to buy 65 of them over the course of your trip, good for you, good choice, and you consciously knew it would cost you an extra $150. Personally I might consciously try a few (and pay the $2!) but otherwise choose to happily stay within my premium package limits. If that lets me order $13 drinks at the new bar, awesome. If not, I still have plenty of options to not go thirsty which I needed does include other venues.[emoji484][emoji6]

Agree.

The point is Celebrity (once again) moved the goal posts.

Just feels bad in my gut.

And I know - if it bothers me don't order those drinks. Okay so I won't but it still bothers me. :(

Yes I hear you but the reality is any/all cruise companies will always keep moving the goal posts based on whatever (profit mostly [emoji16]) . Sure we are not gonna like everything but in the big picture we need to let things go and enjoy our holiday. [emoji484][emoji483][emoji484]

Gotta say - QE2 Fan was spot on with the last post. What Celebrity are giving you is innovation and choice, while still maximising their returns. That's no different to most other businesses.

I agree, and every business I've ever been involved in has had the same reason for being in business... To make money & grow!

Personally I'm really looking forward to trying out the recent changes... Even if it does cost me a few more dollars then the last cruise... [emoji41]