Dress code in Instanbul

I read that women need to cover their shoulders and knees and heads when entering the mosques in Instanbul, but are men okay if they wear shorts?

When entering a mosque? No.

Both DW and I wore shorts on some days (her shorts covered the knee), like when we went into museums.

We were there in late September and also did the Aegean and Black Seas. It was in the low 80s/high 70s in the Aegean, but we had a cold front when we entered the Black Sea and highs in Ukraine in high 50s.

Of course, if you want to enter any mosque, you must dress conservatively, but going to museums, it was not a problem.

When you go into the Blue Mosque, they will lend you a type of robe to put over your inappropriate clothes. It has a hood for women without head covering.

The Hagia Sofia is considered a museum so not dress code.

Nobody really wears shorts in Istanbul so you will stand out. However, you will see all other kinds of dress.

Enjoy the old area of Istanbul. I spent 4 days there 2 years ago during the uprising. Amazing city. I'm so jealous!

The Blue Mosque does not require women to cover their heads (nor does Hagia Sofia), but you will have to take off your shoes before entering the mosque. So wear something easy to get on and off, plus you may want to wear or take socks. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We were there in May. I wore capris and a tank top with a light long-sleeved shirt over it, my husband wore jeans and a polo shirt. I just looked at our photos. Most people were in jeans or khakis, with some capri length on women, a few skirts and a few longer shorts on men. No one wore anything really short or revealing. Temps were 65-70.

We were not required to wear a head covering in the Blue Mosque or any of the other sites we visited. I had brought a scarf along just in case, but it was not needed.

Our second day there we walked around the old town on our own. I wore capris and a sleeved knit top, my husband wore longer shorts and a tee. Most tourists were dressed similarly, with shorts being more rare. Locals mostly wore jeans and tees, with some long dresses and headscarves on women.

When you go into the Blue Mosque, they will lend you a type of robe to put over your inappropriate clothes. It has a hood for women without head covering.

The Hagia Sofia is considered a museum so not dress code.

Nobody really wears shorts in Istanbul so you will stand out. However, you will see all other kinds of dress.

Enjoy the old area of Istanbul. I spent 4 days there 2 years ago during the uprising. Amazing city. I'm so jealous!

Hagia Sofia has been a museum since the Ataturk and the end of the Ottoman Empire.

However, I understand that Turkey's President, Edrogan, who leans toward reinstating the Muslim state of Turkey has allowed prayer in Hagia Sofia. A real step backward from Ataturk's secular state.

We were there in 2011. Such a cosmopolitan city! Locals in many kinds of dress, although not shorts. But more Western than traditional Muslim. But, yes, at the Blue Mosque, you will need the same kind of clothing as in the Churches in Italy. Covered shoulders, etc. But, the rest of the city, casual clothes are fine.

The Blue Mosque does not require women to cover their heads (nor does Hagia Sofia), but you will have to take off your shoes before entering the mosque. So wear something easy to get on and off, plus you may want to wear or take socks. ;)

I must disagree on one point. When we were in Istanbul last September, women definitely had to wear a head covering in the Blue Mosque.

I love CC, some people say no head scarves required, others say definitely. My experience when I was there a couple of years ago was that if a woman's head wasn't covered they gave them scarves at the door.

That might have changed since then.

Personally if I were a woman I would be very upset with the double standard, but my wife wore the scarf as we were on a tour, and wanted to see the inside.

I love CC, some people say no head scarves required, others say definitely. My experience when I was there a couple of years ago was that if a woman's head wasn't covered they gave them scarves at the door.

Personally if I were a woman I would be very upset with the double standard, but my wife wore the scarf as we were on a tour, and wanted to see the inside.

When we went to Istanbul, my daughter and i asked if we had to wear a headscarf in the Blue Mosque. Our guide told us; "You don't have to, but if you do, we will appreciate the courtesy." Of course, we did cover our heads.

I think it's only polite to respect the custom of the country you are visiting, regardless of your own beliefs or conventions. It's not a double standard. It's just showing some respect.

Edited by celle

I read that women need to cover their shoulders and knees and heads when entering the mosques in Instanbul, but are men okay if they wear shorts?

Men will also be checked in the Blue Mosque. But they are much tougher on women. Here is the sign outside:

24f080733a6fcc7523b5a39adb1e069b.jpg

Last July there were several people just inside the front door STRICTLY enforcing women wearing headscarfs. They were handing them out and bags for shoes. I took my own and was fine. No one is allowed to wear shoes.

Edited by Pushka

I think it is important to say when each experience occurred. As just posted, last year headscarves were strictly enforced.

As far as double standards - check this out. Note the women (tourists) behind.

6d3122ac1ea75b5dba16a95e3fc93a24.jpg

Edited by Pushka

I posted earlier. As I stated, head coverings were not required when we went in 2012. Apparently this has changed. We did see the picture that was shown earlier, but there were men in shorts (covering knees) inside.

I don't like the double standard either, but I comply if I have to.

If conscerned about heat in the summer, consider linen pants (unlined) for both men and women. My husband thought I was crazy when I bought him linen pants for our summer trip to rome, but he loved them.

Men will also be checked in the Blue Mosque. But they are much tougher on women. Here is the sign outside:

24f080733a6fcc7523b5a39adb1e069b.jpg

Last July there were several people just inside the front door STRICTLY enforcing women wearing headscarfs. They were handing them out and bags for shoes. I took my own and was fine. No one is allowed to wear shoes.

Yup. Headwear, covered shoulders and legs for women an absolute must and for the gents long trousers and covered arms too. Wraps are available for anyone not dressed appropriately. Its all a matter of respect. I once had the misfortune to see a British 'lady' strolling round a rural Turkish market in a thong bikini 'covered' with a see through wrap round her waist. I could feel the frizzon of shock from the locals - and indeed the other holiday makers.

If conscerned about heat in the summer, consider linen pants (unlined) for both men and women. My husband thought I was crazy when I bought him linen pants for our summer trip to rome, but he loved them.

Linen in hot countries is so cooling. I use a very light linen/cotton scarf round my neck that unravels to become a head scarf if needed. It is very cooling and keeps the sun off your arms too if needed. Had it for years and goes everywhere with me.