How old does your baby have to be...

jesscruiser

I am currently pregnant, due the second week of Nov. My family is planning on taking a cruise in April 27 of 2013. My questions, is how strict are they on the 6 month policy, and do they count six months like weeks (24 weeks) or by the date, as in If she wasn't born by 10/27/12, I couldn't take her. I hope I am making myself clear lol. I just would hate to miss my family vacation because she is a week or two under 6 months.

FYI There is no one to leave her with, as everyone in my family is going on this vacation.

They will go by the date on her birth certificate. So if she is born November 5th then six months would be May 5th to be six months old. They don't count "weeks" like a physician does in pregnancy. Your baby won't be a week or two shy he/she will be a WHOLE month too young and my guess is the cruise line is going to deny boarding because she isn't old enough.

I just would hate to miss my family vacation because she is a week or two under 6 months.

How much worse will you feel if you go all the way to the port and the baby is denied boarding? I would look at re-booking the cruise for when the baby is old enough to go if you don't have someone who can keep them.

They will go by the date on her birth certificate. So if she is born November 5th then six months would be May 5th to be six months old. They don't count "weeks" like a physician does in pregnancy. Your baby won't be a week or two shy he/she will be a WHOLE month too young and my guess is the cruise line is going to deny boarding because she isn't old enough.

How much worse will you feel if you go all the way to the port and the baby is denied boarding? I would look at re-booking the cruise for when the baby is old enough to go if you don't have someone who can keep them.

The cruise is April 27, so yeah she would be a little over a week shy, not a whole month, that is why I was asking.

I can't really rebook a family trip of 30 people. It is looking like I just may not go! Also, I wouldn't go to port with the "hopes" they are going to let me and baby board.

Unless you are having a c-section, babies come when they are ready... lol. She might come early, but she might come late.

If you can't go, plan something for your immediate family. That way you have something to look forward to.

Great idea, except The whole family is going lol! This is my first child, and her father will be working out of the country at this time. So unless she comes early, it may just be baby and me! You never know. Though I would rather keep her in as long as possible!

Great idea, except The whole family is going lol! This is my first child, and her father will be working out of the country at this time. So unless she comes early, it may just be baby and me! You never know. Though I would rather keep her in as long as possible!

Awww, I am sorry. Wasn't sure if you had other kids or not, thats why I said "immediate family".

Best of luck to you.

They are very strict as others have said-my sister wanted to come on the cruise we are going on and her baby is going to be only a couple days short of the 6 months and they do not budge. I'm not sure why 6 months is the magic number but they do strictly follow it

Thanks! Even if I miss the cruise, I still get the baby! Can't wait to meet her!

That is the perfect attitude!:) My best wishes for you and your baby!

Edited to add: I just noticed you're new here. So I just wanted to say also: Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

They are very strict as others have said-my sister wanted to come on the cruise we are going on and her baby is going to be only a couple days short of the 6 months and they do not budge. I'm not sure why 6 months is the magic number but they do strictly follow it

That sucks for your sister! I guess I can understand it though.....

EXCELLENT idea. Studies have shown that babies born even a week earlier do not fair as well cognitively long term and don't do as well in school. There is a reason nature planned gestation for that time period.

Unfortunately the cruise line is unlikely to budge on the age and if you re-book or cancel now you are likely to get all of your money back. Enjoy the new baby and perhaps at some point a sympathetic relative will keep baby so you and Dad can go on a second honeymoon since the family cruise isn't likely to be an option.

Unfortunately the cruise line is unlikely to budge on the age and if you re-book or cancel now you are likely to get all of your money back. Enjoy the new baby and perhaps at some point a sympathetic relative will keep baby so you and Dad can go on a second honeymoon since the family cruise isn't likely to be an option.
Would it make any difference if the OP waited to cancel until the baby was born? She would still be way ahead of final payment. It would really suck if the baby came 2 weeks early but she had already cancelled!

I'm not sure why 6 months is the magic number but they do strictly follow it

Most likely because very little babies can't fight illnesses as well as older babies.

We were deathly afraid to take our first son on a cruise. He could be perfectly healthy today, and have an emergency room fever 12 hours later. The last thing we wanted was to be at sea, or at a 3rd world country with sub-par medical facilities, and have a medical emergency with our baby.

We waited until he was 1 year old before he took his first cruise, and even then, we chose an itinerary that would keep us close to the US mainland and that visited ports with better medical facilities. (5 nights from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau). Maybe we were overly cautious-first time parents, but better safe than sorry.

Our son has now been on 3 cruises, and we are gearing up for #4 (he turns 3 years old in a few months). We now have a daughter who will be 15 months old at the time of our next (her 1st) cruise (and I have to admit that we are not nearly as overly cautious with her as we were with our son).

I would wait to cruise another time.

you are aware that the baby will be paying a full cruise fare. No freebies (unlike some other lines)

I'd also be afraid of noro virus etc. and packing for a 6 month old is another posting in itself.

Best wishes to you on the birth of your first child. Im sorry its looking like you won't be able to attend this family event. Also sorry you will be just you and baby - did the family plan this trip knowing this? :confused:

Would it make any difference if the OP waited to cancel until the baby was born? She would still be way ahead of final payment. It would really suck if the baby came 2 weeks early but she had already cancelled!

This is an excellent idea. The OP has until the middle of February (or there abouts) to cancel without penalty. That being the case, I would wait until the baby is born to cancel. You never know, the Dr. could have messed up on the dates. It wouldn't be the first time the medical profession has messed up, that's why they call it "practicing medicine".

I would wait to cruise another time.

you are aware that the baby will be paying a full cruise fare. No freebies (unlike some other lines)

I'd also be afraid of noro virus etc. and packing for a 6 month old is another posting in itself.

I am aware, and it doesn't bother me. Don't mind packing for her either.

Best wishes to you on the birth of your first child. Im sorry its looking like you won't be able to attend this family event. Also sorry you will be just you and baby - did the family plan this trip knowing this? :confused:

They didn't know about the 6 month rule. Some ( not all ) cruise lines like Disney, (i think) have like a 12 week rule. So no one paid it any thought except me lol!

They didn't know about the 6 month rule. Other cruise lines like Disney, (i think) have like a 12 week rule!

I read an article about why Disney is the only U.S. based cruise line with a reduced age limit, and plain and simple it's because they would loose a big chunk of their core audience by making the age limit higher. Consequently, their medical facilities and staff are better equipped to handle infant medical issues.

Carnival and other cruise lines not so much. Their staff is trained to handle very general medical issues, but definitely NOT pediatric issues...

Their staff is trained to handle very general medical issues, but definitely NOT pediatric issues...
Cruise ship medical staff are comprised of individuals trained in emergency medicine, and that would include pediatrics. I looked into working as a cruise ship RN at one time and found I needed five years emergency/trauma experience in order to be considered.

We started sailing with our kids now 6 and 3 when they were 7 months-old. We sail 2-3 times a year and the oldest has been platinum since she was 5. They have never once gotten sick onboard so don't worry. If babies can survive daycare (germ pool) everyday then they can survive a cruise ship. Once your baby is born you will see when he/she is 6 months and you may be able to still go on the family cruise. It really is the easiest way to travel with a little one since everything is within walking distance and food is available 24/7. Go to the family board under special interest cruising and you will find a wealth of information about sailing with infants including packing lists and must haves.

Most likely because very little babies can't fight illnesses as well as older babies.

We were deathly afraid to take our first son on a cruise. He could be perfectly healthy today, and have an emergency room fever 12 hours later. The last thing we wanted was to be at sea, or at a 3rd world country with sub-par medical facilities, and have a medical emergency with our baby.

We waited until he was 1 year old before he took his first cruise, and even then, we chose an itinerary that would keep us close to the US mainland and that visited ports with better medical facilities. (5 nights from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau). Maybe we were overly cautious-first time parents, but better safe than sorry.

Our son has now been on 3 cruises, and we are gearing up for #4 (he turns 3 years old in a few months). We now have a daughter who will be 15 months old at the time of our next (her 1st) cruise (and I have to admit that we are not nearly as overly cautious with her as we were with our son).

I do understand the health issue and babies can come down with something quickly-not sure a couple days makes that much of a difference but if they didn't have a rule then it could be a mess. I'm actually surprised it's not older because at 6 months they have not had anywhere near all their shots yet.

We waited until our youngest was 2 before taking her & that is really only due to we wanted to be able to use Camp Carnival. She just turned 4 a few days ago & in Oct will be on her 3rd cruise (not counting when I was preg w/her lol). She is a cruise addict already haha.

Archived