News from TUI

Quote from TUI's AGM yesterday:-

"The five ships of the Thomson Cruises fleet, operating in the British market, are to be completely modernised in the next few years. At the same time, Thomson Cruises is to cooperate more closely with TUI Cruises. The goal is to expand TUI’s cruise activities so as to become a leading cruise operator in Europe in the foreseeable future."

Do you think they mean modernising the existing ships or modernising the fleet by buying/leasing newer ships?

That's the million dollar question! although the 'five ships' sounds like the existing ones?? :confused: Would be very nice to see some investment into new ships for the UK market - perhaps the fuel pollution/legislation is forcing their hand in which case new(er) ships may be on the agenda but not sure this press release is indicating that. But we can hope! :D

The only way they would be able to "become a leading cruise operator in Europe"

Is to scupper the whole fleet and purchase ( no way could they afford to do it) or lease new ships. Thus making their prices even higher than they are now and pricing themselves out of the market.

Mein Schiff 3 is in Madeira today. Could we have no. 1 or no. 2 then do you think? :D:D

Mein Schiff 1 was in Barbados last week - certainly it's far from new (1996) but it definitely looked a step up from Thomson's fleet. From pics of the inside, it does look rather nice too and did have a €50m spend on up-grading when TUI took it over from Celebrity! Makes the £4m (was that the figure?) on the Platinum refurbs look a bit thin! :rolleyes:

interesting......... I know nothing about ships?? but, this sounds like they intend to modernise their existing ships, not to refurb them? just modernise the operational stuff? emissions/engine/safelty/compliance stuff?? etc

and co-operating more with tui? sounds like they are intending to sell some sort of thomsons product on the tui mein shiffs, or at least offer some sort of product that would make tui more attractive to the uk market, maybe even re-jig tui's existing european market/product?

or, offer thomson cruises to the european market? ...i cant see many germans going for that tho? unless thoms did manage to get hold of some ex mein shiffs?

Well they'll need to be careful just how well they cooperate with TUI. The UK cruises on Thomson will be much more aware of the sub standard small ships they're getting compared to the Mein Shiffs.

Either that or they cross sell both cruise line's cruises and turn the ships bilingual. But I think that would detract from one of their main selling points which is a little bit of the UK but at sea. But I also struggle to see any German paying Thomson Cruises prices for a much smaller ship.

I know their airlines are merging a lot of functions such as maintenance and now planes can easily move between the TUI airlines whilst still maintaining all of the airline brands within the group. Perhaps the cruises will just merge functions, but the products will remain.

Who knows. Interesting times ahead in sure.

i cant see germans going for thoms (at all...ever):rolleyes:

the german market is a big market and mein shiff has competition from aida (that keeps both their prices in check)

maybe tui are looking to get the edge on aida by making the mein shiffs more attractive to brits (another big market) not many brits would consider aida

if thoms were looking for a slice of the european market? they know that they wouldnt get much business from the germans (mein shiffs or aida) but they could be inciting competition from costa

thoms already have a fair bit of competition in the brit market from p&o & fred, i dont think thoms would set themselves up against costa too, they would have to start seriously price matching/new ship matching, thoms wont want to do that!

tui want to expand and i can see brits being attracted to the newer mein shiffs if the product was right? they'd have to change the name tho....mein my ship shiffs?? .....sounds like a dose of flu:rolleyes::)

i guess they are both thinking that any competition for the brit market between thoms & tui wouldnt matter, its all the same company and they can price fix;)

Giving cabins where, if you so desired, you could swing a cat without giving it concussion would be a step forward. Also, a shower where you could bend over to pick up the soap without putting your spouse off dinner would be good. The fleet needs dragging into the 21st century, then perhaps, they could justify their over inflated prices.

Edited by shot2bits