Excursion choice from Israel

Have spent time researching Ashdod and excursions to Jerusalem and Bethlehem for one day but never considered Nazareth or Galilee for the second day until now. Had assumed it was only feasible from the northern port. Has anyone been on that excursion with Thomson? My original other choice was Masada and the Dead Sea with private tour but looks like it won't happen due to lack of interest. Any feedback welcome.:confused:

Edited by mjkStirling

don't think they will be calling at Ashdod because of troubles there they havn't called there since it started last year we are supposed to be going in May.

If that's the case where are they likely to go instead. I was considering this cruise but may wait till nearer the time or at least until the first cruise was docked there and see who reports back etc

Thanks for posts. Thomson keep telling me Israel is on for the cruise so fingers crossed.

they always say that, but very unlikely you will, reckon it will be cancelled for the whole season

after the fco warning the other day would not want to be going to isreal at all, if they think nothing of attacking their own public transport, hate to think what would they do to tourists, ports were cancelled for less trouble than this last season, would rather be safe, we were berthed last april were the germn ship got hit by debris

Nazareth/Sea of Galilee is some 5 hours of coach travel from Ashdod. Considered it but even Guided Tours Israel suggest it was best done from other port.

If Spirit does not visit Israel (25 March departure) when are we likely to know alternative(s).

We,re on the Spirit in September. Would actually be a relief if they take Israel off the Itinery after reading Foreign Office travel advice.

i agree think its best to remove isreal this season, who wants to visit somewhere you could be at risk

Nazareth/Sea of Galilee is some 5 hours of coach travel from Ashdod. Considered it but even Guided Tours Israel suggest it was best done from other port.

If Spirit does not visit Israel (25 March departure) when are we likely to know alternative(s).

maybe when you get on the ship, would not book something with private tours as very likely you will not visit we went to mykonos and kusadasi las year instead

Israel Guided Tours are brilliant and very reliable - they depend on their reputation. We went last year just before the troubles and had a fantastic day with them. We were told we needed at least 8 to do the trip but many people booked quite late and there were 12 of us on the day. Their buses are small and they can get further into Jerusalem than the coaches so less walking. We saw sights that the ships trips didn't. They don't charge until you have completed the trip. Great value. If you need any further information on our day out, please let me know.

Our second day we went into Ashdod - a lovely place for a quiet walk along the seafront with cafes.

Please join in! I am in touch with Guided Tours Israel and would like to do

*From Ashdod to Jerusalem and Bethlehem: $99 per person on 30 Mar 2015

*From Ashdod to Masada and the Dead Sea: $115 per person on 31 Mar 2015. We are two and need 6 to get these group rates. Email Leo J. at info@guidedtoursisrael.com or topdaytours@googlemail.com for further details. If you like you can tell them Isabel mentioned it. I heard from many that this company is better and cheaper than the Thomson excursions. I myself have never cruised with Thomson before.

Thanks for the positive review. Still holding our booking with them as think we may now have 6 for Jerusalem and Bethlehem on our first day. Will go for Thomson excursion next day if no takers. ;)

Hi

I've received an e mail from Guided Tours Israel saying that there are now 3 couples interested in tour on 13th. We've said that we would go ahead. As you don't have to pay anything up front thought we may as well have something in place in case we do visit.

Please join in! I am in touch with Guided Tours Israel and would like to do

*From Ashdod to Jerusalem and Bethlehem: $99 per person on 30 Mar 2015

*From Ashdod to Masada and the Dead Sea: $115 per person on 31 Mar 2015. We are two and need 6 to get these group rates. Email Leo J. at info@guidedtoursisrael.com or topdaytours@googlemail.com for further details. If you like you can tell them Isabel mentioned it. I heard from many that this company is better and cheaper than the Thomson excursions. I myself have never cruised with Thomson before.

We did the Jerusalem and Bethleham tour a couple of years ago, our guide was Mr Buk. We have done many tours over the years and this rates in my top 5. The tour is quite long, our guide was fantastic and the sights were amazing.

Have a great time.

Mike

E mail on Monday said he was waiting for confirmation from 1 couple who had been interested in the 13th but looked like there were 6 of us which is great. As you say nothing to lose as you pay on the day. Just need to decide what to do on the 14th! Will go with Thomson, I think, to ensure back on ship before it sails.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Have been in contact with Leo from Guided Tours Israel re the Bethlehem Jerusalem tour and he's said we can pay for the tour in Euro at the exchange rate of the day but that we will need $ for lunch at "a tourist spot"

Please does anyone know if places in Ashdod area will take $ for coffee?

Really wondering what currency is best to get.

Hope to hear from someone who's due back around now.

Have been in contact with Leo from Guided Tours Israel re the Bethlehem Jerusalem tour and he's said we can pay for the tour in Euro at the exchange rate of the day but that we will need $ for lunch at "a tourist spot"

Please does anyone know if places in Ashdod area will take $ for coffee?

Really wondering what currency is best to get.

Hope to hear from someone who's due back around now.

Good to hear you can pay in euro as well as $. Dollars not a currency I normally deal with, normally holiday within Europe. However paying for lunch etc need a currency that is easily accepted.:)