Live from Holland America Line Koningsdam: Hits & Misses

LauraS

If they are in the sun, I would not be able to sit outside..:(
Depending on which way the ship is facing you might be able to find something with a little piece of shade, but it appears that nearly all the loungers on the high decks are out in the sun ... and too high to "watch the water" like you can from a traditional HAL promenade. Edited by jtl513

Depending on which way the ship is facing you might be able to find something with a little piece of shade, but it appears that nearly all the loungers on the high decks are out in the sun ... and too high to "watch the water" like you can from a traditional HAL promenade.[/size]

Is there glass along the sides, too? Or is it at least open railings? Not that I would go out in the sun even if the railings did let some air pass.

I know on Oceania, the only open space was on a high deck, facing inward, with glass on the side. I did manage to get in the shade of the funnel, which worked until the ship's direction and position of the sun changed. :rolleyes:

Oceania does have great loungers, though, with very, very thick pads with a nice terrycloth cover. Best thing on Oceania.

If they are in the sun, I would not be able to sit outside..:(

On deck 9 (Lido pool) and Deck 10 above the pool there are windowed areas with either chairs or lounges (depending on location) where you can watch the water and be out of the sun. All the other areas for the most part would be in the sun except for the rental cabana areas but in my estimation those would be too high to watch the water like one can on a traditional HAL ship.

Tim in Burien, WA

• 4 weeks later...
Ski--WW, I couldn't agree more. I am just so disappointed about the promenade deck. One of the greatest pleasures of being on a cruise for me is the enjoyment of walking the promenade deck, sitting on one of the lovely teak loungers reading a book, or just appreciating the beauty of the ocean and the ocean breezes. I never would have expected that such a venerable cruise line would eliminate what is a mainstay of a true cruising experience.

The fact of the matter is this: there is a wraparound promenade deck, but it is very narrow in places, the view is obstructed by life boats in places, and there are no deck chairs. Is this correct?

The fact of the matter is this: there is a wraparound promenade deck, but it is very narrow in places, the view is obstructed by life boats in places, and there are no deck chairs. Is this correct?

Based on everything I have read (which is just about every post on this forum), that is correct.

We will cruise on K-Dam in November when she comes to the US and Caribbean for the winter. Despite reading negative comments about the narrow Promenade Deck, we are excited to experience the music options and revamped spa amenities. We are just excited to board her in November!

We are also going on the Caribbean cruise for 10 days..Our feeling is the demographics will be different than the European crowd, and the fact that the promenade deck is too narrow with no chairs will not be something people will dwell on, or even care about. Everything we have read has us really looking forward to the ship..

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Koningsdam July 17th Norwegian sailing for 14 days from Amsterdam to the North Cape. What a great cruise! All the ports were great, all of the HAL excursions were done well and fairly priced and the food and service all top notch! However, we did find a few shortfalls which we passed along in the post cruise survey and hopefully will be addressed.

1. There needs to be directional signs strategically placed (as on other HAL ships) on the promenade deck telling folks which way to walk if they are walking laps. As previously stated many times on CC, the promenade deck is much narrower than on other HAL ships and there is no space for lounge chairs. That was a design decision and nothing can be done about that. But many folks like to walk laps out of the sun around the promenade and, unfortunately, on many areas of the deck towards both the bow and stern, the promenade is only 5 foot wide. Which means someone has to stop to let someone else go by who is walking in the opposite direction. You would think those folks walking against the main traffic flow would recognize this by the number of people they were running into, but that wasn't the case. Signs would go along way to alleviating that issue.

2. All passengers should meet in the main theater to get their excursion stickers and walk out together to their assigned transportation. On 4 separate occasions, 2 of which involved tendering, you were required to meet on the pier to get your stickers. If you showed up too early you were asking to come back in 10-15 minutes when they were issuing your stickers. With 2800 people onboard, it was quite unorganized on those particular occasions.

3. Mandatory hand sanitizing the first 48 hours of the cruise to minimize the spread of viruses. On all other HAL cruises we've been on, this was a requirement not only when you came onboard but also before you went into any dining area. Not on the KD. Now, for some of you, it's a bother and would just as soon bypass the hand sanitizers/hand washers and go straight to the spoons and tongs and start loading your plate up and then set them back down for the next person to use. For those of you that think that, the next time you're on a long cruise and it's about the 7th day in and your on a tour bus or in the main theater, listen to the number of folks starting to cough and sneeze around you. It usually takes about 7 days for a virus they picked up from the airport or touching a hand rail or pushing an elevator button to start showing symptoms. I know because until I started washing/sanitizing my hands religiously after being on one of the 5 Oceania Riviera norovirus cruises earlier this year, I would always start getting cold/bronchitis symptoms 7 days into the cruise - except when I was on a HAL cruise. They are (were) the only cruise line that enforced hand sanitizing the first 48 hours.

Anyway, other that those issues, we had a great time and I would recommend if you enjoy traveling on larger ships to try the Koningsdam. Remember, the KD has only been in the water four 4 months now and they're still going through some growing pains.

3. Mandatory hand sanitizing the first 48 hours of the cruise to minimize the spread of viruses. On all other HAL cruises we've been on, this was a requirement not only when you came onboard but also before you went into any dining area. Not on the KD. Now, for some of you, it's a bother and would just as soon bypass the hand sanitizers/hand washers and go straight to the spoons and tongs and start loading your plate up and then set them back down for the next person to use. For those of you that think that, the next time you're on a long cruise and it's about the 7th day in and your on a tour bus or in the main theater, listen to the number of folks starting to cough and sneeze around you. It usually takes about 7 days for a virus they picked up from the airport or touching a hand rail or pushing an elevator button to start showing symptoms. I know because until I started washing/sanitizing my hands religiously after being on one of the 5 Oceania Riviera norovirus cruises earlier this year, I would always start getting cold/bronchitis symptoms 7 days into the cruise - except when I was on a HAL cruise. They are (were) the only cruise line that enforced hand sanitizing the first 48 hours.

Using the hand sanitizers has never been "mandatory" on any HAL cruise I have ever taken. The sanitizer is offered, encouraged even, but not required. One is free to pass and continue about one's business.

The hand sanitizer does nothing to "minimize the spread of viruses" as it has no effect on them; it may, if used properly, kill some bacteria.

The cold virus is spread just as much through the air as it is with the hands. Use of the hand sanitizer will not help stop the spread of colds.

Washing the hands thoroughly with soapy water is the best method to clean hands of dirt, bacteria, and viruses. If a passenger washes their hands well, uses the offered paper towel to open the door, and heads to the food area, their hands are cleaner than those of someone who has only used the sanitizer.

Using the hand sanitizers has never been "mandatory" on any HAL cruise I have ever taken. The sanitizer is offered, encouraged even, but not required. One is free to pass and continue about one's business.

The hand sanitizer does nothing to "minimize the spread of viruses" as it has no effect on them; it may, if used properly, kill some bacteria.

The cold virus is spread just as much through the air as it is with the hands. Use of the hand sanitizer will not help stop the spread of colds.

Washing the hands thoroughly with soapy water is the best method to clean hands of dirt, bacteria, and viruses. If a passenger washes their hands well, uses the offered paper towel to open the door, and heads to the food area, their hands are cleaner than those of someone who has only used the sanitizer.

That's interesting because on the 1 Panama Canal and 3 Caribbean cruises we took over the past 3 years except on the Koningsdam, a crew member was standing either at the gangway or when entering the Lido buffet area with hand sanitizers in hand or directing folks to the hand washing machines (which we think are pretty cool) the first 48 hours of the cruise. Don't remember them being at the MDR entrance, but then again you aren't allowed to serve yourself in the MDR the first 48 hours either. You also weren't allowed to serve yourself at the Lido buffet during those first 48 hours.

I agree hand washing is the best defense. I do it now religiously. However, not everyone is like us. Not all people that are sick coming onboard wash their hands every time they cough into their hands before touching various parts on the ship (e.g., hand rails, elevator buttons, food serving utensils, etc). As far as how effective alcohol-based sanitizers are, here is what an article on WebMD says about that:

Which bugs can hand sanitizers prevent?

''Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are clearly a very useful and important method to prevent most bacterial and viral infections, with rare exceptions," says Aaron E. Glatt, MD, executive vice president of Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, Long Island, N.Y. He is a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

Viruses cause colds and flu.

And you are also correct - "Washing the hands thoroughly with soapy water is the best method to clean hands of dirt, bacteria, and viruses. If a passenger washes their hands well, uses the offered paper towel to open the door, and heads to the food area, their hands are cleaner than those of someone who has only used the sanitizer. "

And if everyone did that, there wouldn't be a need for hand sanitizers to be placed around the ship. But, unfortunately, most folks don't do that. That's why it's so important to get folks to wash/sanitize their hands the first 48 hours of the cruise. Anyway, that's my additional 2 cents on the subject and if that's their new policy, then I'm sure am glad my DW has trained me to now wash my hands religiously while on the ship. :D

That's interesting because on the 1 Panama Canal and 3 Caribbean cruises we took over the past 3 years except on the Koningsdam, a crew member was standing either at the gangway or when entering the Lido buffet area with hand sanitizers in hand or directing folks to the hand washing machines (which we think are pretty cool) the first 48 hours of the cruise. Don't remember them being at the MDR entrance, but then again you aren't allowed to serve yourself in the MDR the first 48 hours either. You also weren't allowed to serve yourself at the Lido buffet during those first 48 hours.

I agree hand washing is the best defense. I do it now religiously. However, not everyone is like us. Not all people that are sick coming onboard wash their hands every time they cough into their hands before touching various parts on the ship (e.g., hand rails, elevator buttons, food serving utensils, etc). As far as how effective alcohol-based sanitizers are, here is what an article on WebMD says about that:

Which bugs can hand sanitizers prevent?

''Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are clearly a very useful and important method to prevent most bacterial and viral infections, with rare exceptions," says Aaron E. Glatt, MD, executive vice president of Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, Long Island, N.Y. He is a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

Viruses cause colds and flu.

And you are also correct - "Washing the hands thoroughly with soapy water is the best method to clean hands of dirt, bacteria, and viruses. If a passenger washes their hands well, uses the offered paper towel to open the door, and heads to the food area, their hands are cleaner than those of someone who has only used the sanitizer. "

And if everyone did that, there wouldn't be a need for hand sanitizers to be placed around the ship. But, unfortunately, most folks don't do that. That's why it's so important to get folks to wash/sanitize their hands the first 48 hours of the cruise. Anyway, that's my additional 2 cents on the subject and if that's their new policy, then I'm sure am glad my DW has trained me to now wash my hands religiously while on the ship. :D

My husband especially will love the hand washing station! Clean hands are key and we have never gotten sick on any of our trips of any mode. I carry hand wipes instead of antibacterial gel.

With all that is touched without thought......hand washing must be in mind before eating or touching face!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody provide more information about these automated handwash stations? The more I think about it the more difficulty envisioning large numbers of people standing singing the Happy Birthday song twice while a min-car wash scrubs away. Not to mention flashy rings getting caught, etc, etc.

The automated hand washing stations would not be efficient for washing large groups. However they work quite nicely. One just inserts one's hands into two holes and warm water and soap is sprayed onto them. I did see any issue with rings getting caught. There is a timer that shuts the machine off automatically.

Tim in Burien, WA

Can anybody provide more information about these automated handwash stations? The more I think about it the more difficulty envisioning large numbers of people standing singing the Happy Birthday song twice while a min-car wash scrubs away. Not to mention flashy rings getting caught, etc, etc.

We've been on 2 recent HAL cruises with the hand washing machines and think they are great and the most people I've ever had to wait for before I could wash my hands was 1. Basically, you put your hands into 2 enclosed cone-shaped inserts, so no fancy rings can get caught or lost, and then warm water and a sudless soap sprays through a bunch of small holes onto your hands. The process takes all of 20 seconds and then you wipe your hands dry with paper towels and off you go. Easy-peasy.

I used one once and got my sleeves wet - guess I am a klutz!

Anyway, I don't think they are very practical. Can you imagine the line if everyone actually washed their hands? Good thought maybe but not good for implementation.

The gel stands they used to have in the middle of the entrance at least made everyone think about their hands and I think most grabbed their dollop.

Same thought about the dining room. They used to spritz you. Maybe they decided hands weren't as big a germ threat as they thought? Anyway, I used the gel when it was available but my husband and I both thought it was a little "stickier" than before.

Now, my thoughts about people who sample from the after dinner treat trays and the nut carafes in the bars with their fingers are another story. I passed after watching them put their fingers in their mouth and then pick through the treats for another. Spoons were available but it seems some cruisers have no manners.

and looking forward to the new restaurants and décor. No concern about the promenade deck or all the hand sanitizers just want a nice comfortable 3 weeks. Have a fair amount of OBCs but not as many as on some past cruises but X4 will help. Disliked that the new movies will not be shown in cabin as we liked that but was on Edam recently and the big tv worked well. I think it will be a nice new experience almost like taking a different cruise line but with smoking allowed on the balcony. Approaching 5* status. We rarely have complaints about HAL ships and have never had a bad cruise with them and we are getting older and more critical. It will still be better than what we can find in Ocala, Fl. just not as big as our home.

I used one once and got my sleeves wet - guess I am a klutz!

Anyway, I don't think they are very practical. Can you imagine the line if everyone actually washed their hands? Good thought maybe but not good for implementation.

The gel stands they used to have in the middle of the entrance at least made everyone think about their hands and I think most grabbed their dollop.

Same thought about the dining room. They used to spritz you. Maybe they decided hands weren't as big a germ threat as they thought? Anyway, I used the gel when it was available but my husband and I both thought it was a little "stickier" than before.

Now, my thoughts about people who sample from the after dinner treat trays and the nut carafes in the bars with their fingers are another story. I passed after watching them put their fingers in their mouth and then pick through the treats for another. Spoons were available but it seems some cruisers have no manners.

Some people forget they are not at.home.......PLEASE REMEMBER THERE ARE OTHERS....GROSS FOLKS!!!

I

Walking the promenade is an extremely important part of my cruise experience. The three miles of walking on sea days is crucial for keeping fit after all the excellent meals served. Don't think i would pick the K for a cruise longer than 7 days without the signature promenade. The library or lack there of is another major disappointment. Sounds to me that the newest class of ship would be perfect doing shorter cruises in the Caribbean.

Walking the promenade is an extremely important part of my cruise experience. The three miles of walking on sea days is crucial for keeping fit after all the excellent meals served. Don't think i would pick the K for a cruise longer than 7 days without the signature promenade. The library or lack there of is another major disappointment. Sounds to me that the newest class of ship would be perfect doing shorter cruises in the Caribbean.

Are people still walking laps around the promenade in both directions? We enjoy our walks around the promenade as well and we continually had to step to the side in those forward and aft tight areas when people were doing their laps in the opposite direction. We made a suggestion to put up a directional sign to let folks walking laps know which way to walk as they have posted on other HAL ships. If not hopefully they'll have some up by next February when we cruise on the K'dam again as they was quite annoying.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

The mandatory 48 hours of touch-free dining has been gone on my last two cruises - and they were different HAL ships. I think they've discovered that it doesn't make any difference to the incidents of Norovirus.

Edited by TourGypsy

The mandatory 48 hours of touch-free dining has been gone on my last two cruises - and they were different HAL ships. I think they've discovered that it doesn't make any difference to the incidents of Norovirus.

That's too bad as it may not prevent the norovirus from spreading, but it sure helps cut down on other less nasty viruses and bacteria people bring with them prior to boarding. In any event, we will continue to wash and sanitize our hands and avoid touching tongs and other utensils folks lay back on the food once they make their selection.