When the salad is no more

BillderBo

I'm scheduled for Nieuw Amsterdam, but thanks for the details for Vista class for future consideration.

Other of the larger ships may offer them, but don't think they are available on the R or S ships. And usually when there are some longer at-sea days. Be sure to check on the NA.

You definitely got bad information. On our last HAL cruise we actually saw a supply boat come to the ship unload stuff (mostly non-food as far as I could tell but I actually noticed some crates that appeared to contain fresh veg)

You definitely got bad information. On our last HAL cruise we actually saw a supply boat come to the ship unload stuff (mostly non-food as far as I could tell but I actually noticed some crates that appeared to contain fresh veg)

Where was this? I have never seen re-supply from a barge, other than fuel. Re-supply of food has always been from the dock side.

I have seen garbage and other waste taken off to a barge.

Some fascinating information here. Thanks. Looks like I need to youtube how cruise ships store food. I am not a foodie and would normally not attend food related tours or events on board, but I am thinking a tour of the 'workings' would definitely be interesting.

Those tours aren't readily available but I was lucky to be taken on a private behind the scenes tour on the Eurodam, which was very interesting.

Edited by Boytjie

I don't believe anyone said "barge."

I don't know where this was seen, but whether the ship was operating under USPH regulations or the similar WHO cruise ship sanitation regulations, I would be very, very surprised if "potentially hazardous foods", which fresh produce falls under, would be supplied from a supply boat.

When a cruise ship loads refrigerated food from shore, it is pulled from running refrigerated containers, and within minutes is in the ship and on its way to the chill and freeze boxes. Loading crates and pallets of perishable food onto a boat and then bringing the boat alongside, and lifting it onto the ship would take too long to ensure freshness.

You totally missed the point...

CruiserBruce, I see what you mean now. Matter of semantics. Having some knowledge of the river barge business, we think of barges as unsanitary vessels for transporting bulk loads of stuff one would never eat. (That might actually describe a couple of salad bars in my area :eek:) But I get your point now.

Other of the larger ships may offer them, but don't think they are available on the R or S ships. And usually when there are some longer at-sea days. Be sure to check on the NA.

We had a ve ry complete and interesttingtour of all those priv ate /crew areas on Maadam.

Edited by sail7seas

What an interesting thread!

We have done a lot of really long cruises with lengthy periods at sea. The salad bar has always been there every single day. I never gave any thought to the special measures that must be taken to keep all that produce fresh and tasty. I wish I could do the same with my home vegetable bin. It's very motley after one week!

What an interesting thread!

We have done a lot of really long cruises with lengthy periods at sea. The salad bar has always been there every single day. I never gave any thought to the special measures that must be taken to keep all that produce fresh and tasty. I wish I could do the same with my home vegetable bin. It's very motley after one week!

Overstuffing is the main culprit. Air circulation is key. Also, not to sound like a commercial, but my wife now swears by the Rubbermaid Fresh Works containers. Not sure how the filter on it works, but it does. Of course it helps that it keeps the stuff separate for air circulation and has an insert to keep the produce off the bottom of the container.

Overstuffing is the main culprit. Air circulation is key. Also, not to sound like a commercial, but my wife now swears by the Rubbermaid Fresh Works containers. Not sure how the filter on it works, but it does. Of course it helps that it keeps the stuff separate for air circulation and has an insert to keep the produce off the bottom of the container.

THANK YOU for sounding like a commercial. Very useful information!

Here is the direct quote from HAL:

"...we don’t have fresh items as the cruise continues, we don’t pick up fresh items with in the voyage so as we get to day 7,8, and 9 our salad items are not available."

I hope this advice falls into the category Boytjie mentioned:

"...calling HAL can get you some really bad information!"

From what everyone is posting here, hopefully I received bad information.

99% of my lunches on a cruise consist of a fresh salad plate and we take longer cruises---most recently a 33 day cruise in April of this year. I have never experienced a problem with being able to enjoy fresh, crisp vegetables.

The only thing that seemed to be an issue on this last cruise was that we had no bananas available for about four days toward the end of the cruise. Or, as we were told----they were not ripe yet. No amount of pleading would result in a green banana being handed over. A few hours of sunshine would have solved the problem and I really need bananas to prevent leg cramps. One of our roll call members took pity on me and presented me with a gift wrapped ripe banana that she had had in her cabin fruit bowl.

Edited by sapper1

Just finished 12-day Mediterranean Dream on Oosterdam. Fresh fruits and veggies, everyday, all day, right up until the last morning. At one port (I forgot which one, might have been Athens) I watched some fresh produce being loaded onto the ship from the dock. So mid-cruise re-supply mechanisms are definitely in place.

[quote name='Cruiserbillyboo']Just finished 12-day Mediterranean Dream on Oosterdam. Fresh fruits and veggies, everyday, all day, right up until the last morning. At one port (I forgot which one, might have been Athens) I watched some fresh produce being loaded onto the ship from the dock. So mid-cruise re-supply mechanisms are definitely in place.[/QUOTE]

A 12 day cruise usually doesn't require midway supply, but it happens.

When we were on a 19 repo from FLL to Seattle, we were held up in Puntarenas because on the little pier all they could shuttle out a large load of new fruit and vegetables were little pick up trucks that held about 8 cases each. Then human chain loading onto the ship. The shipping containers were ashore, and the supervisor was checking each case there. Then loading them on the trucks. Took about 6 hours to transfer everything. Left about 90 minutes late.