New Pizza Place on the Renovated Ships

SilvertoGold

I am reading about a new sort of pizza area and a new sort of pizza on the ship coming out of drydock and on the Koningsdam.

Could someone elaborate about the whole idea? What has changed: location, types, size?

Thanks!

Not sure what you are hearing, but on our last cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam there was a pizza counter on Lido deck where they took our order for a small whole pie cooked to order. They were quite good but if you didn't want to eat that much you were stuck with it because they didn't offer just a small slice option.

I think this pizza process is also on Eurodam and Koningsdam.

Right -- it is suppose to be New York style pizza.

We haven't been on a ship with it yet.

But it is no longer just a small single slice. You have to order a small pizza. To me who only likes a piece or two, it would be a waste.

For me also - one slice is fine with a salad (and I DO like the made-to-order salad server station now.)

Why full pizza or nothing, which will result in wasted food?!

We were on the Zuiderdam in October, which had a drydock the previous April. The Lido had a large, heated pizza stone in one location on the port side, and they offered continuous offerings of cheese, cheese w/pepperoni and what I call Garbage Pizza, the Works. You could take just a slice or the whole 12" pie. Usually, if you wanted a whole pie you had to wait for a new one to come out. Pretty decent pizza for a cruise ship. The crust was too thick to be considered NY style, but it is far from Chicago style deep dish. No special orders, what you see is what you get. We will be on the Oosterdam this fall, and she also had a drydock session in March. We are anxiously waiting for reports on the pizza station.

New York style pizza is by the slice. The slice is folded and eaten from your hand. AND IT IS NEVER EATEN WITH A KNIFE AND FORK.

A whole small pie is definitely not New York style. Seattle is wrong on this one!

There was a "New York Pizza" stand on the "Retreat" aft on the Rotterdam. We were the first to order when they opened for lunch. The pizza, a whole small pie, was pitiful, and they forgot to make my DH's!:eek: We never went back. Gone are the yummy slices you could get at the Lido.

The "Retreat" in place of the Sea View Pool was appalling. A terrible use of once beautiful deck space.:(

Karen

HAL has traditionally had the worst Pizza on the 7 seas if not the earth! We are now supposed to think that converting to the "Market Place" will result in decent pizza....and we are very skeptical. We have long urged that HAL send some of their staff over to Princess (who has the best pizza at sea) to learn....but HAL has a tradition of keeping things the way it has been for over a hundred years...which means lousy pizza.

Hank

Thanks, everyone.

This is what I thought, more or less.

1. A whole pizza? How big is this? Not a single serving size, I presume for the descriptions? 10 "?

2. Can you get this made to order, exactly what you want?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks, everyone.

This is what I thought, more or less.

1. A whole pizza? How big is this? Not a single serving size, I presume for the descriptions? 10 "?

2. Can you get this made to order, exactly what you want?

1) roughly 10", but more "free form" then round

2) Yes, you can order it any way you would like.

To answer a different question, I do believe that GF pizza is available.

On the Eurodam in April I ordered a barbecued chicken, thin crust pizza from the new venue. Was a little worried about wasting some of a whole pie, but I have to confess - I ate the whole thing. Crispy crust, moist meat and very tasty sauce. Then i weakened and had another one the next day.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I wonder why HAL is not offering two sizes of pizza? That would make a lot of sense.

Interesting that HAL has gone from pre-made pizza, to custom pizza and from custom sandwiches to pre-made ones. And then there are the salad bar changes to add into the picture...... Who knows?

We had the pizza on the NA in December. We enjoyed it. There are some stock combos that you can order and you can personalize your own. It is as others have mentioned a thin crust pizza. You place your order and they give you a buzzer to let you know when it was ready. DW and I shared one for lunch several times. We both found it to be a vast improvement over the previous pizza offering.

We had the pizza on the NA in December. We enjoyed it. There are some stock combos that you can order and you can personalize your own. It is as others have mentioned a thin crust pizza. You place your order and they give you a buzzer to let you know when it was ready. DW and I shared one for lunch several times. We both found it to be a vast improvement over the previous pizza offering.

Sharing is obviously the way to go. And I suppose the wait for the buzzer is a time to have a salad or something light.

Does anyone know if they will do half and half? DH loves anchovies and I don't at all (I assume they have anchovies?).

Does anyone know if the the HAL ships offer a gluten-free pizza?

Yes they do (at least on the Zuiderdam as of April 2016), as well as gluten free pasta. The pizza and pasta could be made order and was quite good.

small enough for 1 person and made to order with whatever you wanted on it. Went on the Veendam and they had the old dried out under the heat lamp glop.

It might not be real NT style but it was very good and I had it 3X on the cruise of 2 weeks. Only Trump and Palin eat pizza with a knife and fork.

Didn't even think about half and half. Duh?

I can't remember if they offered anchovies or not? The list of ingredients for make your own seemed long. We simply stuck with the combos provided. I am usually not a pizza liker. I can go years without eating it so for me to have it a couple of times on a 7-day cruise was a big deal. :)

I liked the thin crust and the freshness of the ingredients. Try it - you have nothing to lose. If you don't like it - just put it to one side and get something else.

Edit to add: anchovies are available. Saw the pizza menu on the Travelling With the Jones site here: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/11/19/a-look-at-new-york-pizza-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

Didn't even think about half and half. Duh?

I can't remember if they offered anchovies or not? The list of ingredients for make your own seemed long. We simply stuck with the combos provided. I am usually not a pizza liker. I can go years without eating it so for me to have it a couple of times on a 7-day cruise was a big deal. :)

I liked the thin crust and the freshness of the ingredients. Try it - you have nothing to lose. If you don't like it - just put it to one side and get something else.

Edit to add: anchovies are available. Saw the pizza menu on the Travelling With the Jones site here: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/11/19/a-look-at-new-york-pizza-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

Super. Thanks for the info and the link. If you enlarge it, it is quite readable.

YUM! Let's see: shrimp, kalamata olives, artichoke and smoked mozza.

It was on the Rotterdam in January. The nice part is that it is open in the afternoon to grab a quick bite when returning from an excursion after the Lido is closed. One evening a half dozen of us returned late, after closing time for pizza, while the chefs were cleaning up. They stopped cleaning and made pizzas for all of us. Service above and beyond!

On the Nieuw Amsterdam in January and loved the pizza. DH and I would split it most of the time, as we were having it as a snack with a salad. Did have it once or twice as a meal and we each got our own. Thought it and the salad offered there were very good.

• 1 month later...
Wondering if there is a pizza place on the Zuiderdam like on Nieuw Amsterdam?

The last time we were on the Zuiderdam, the pizza oven was a part of the Pasta Station in the Lido Restaurant. I will confirm if this is still the case on November 20th.