Why does everyone walk counter-clockwise on the promenade?

cavecreekguy

I've wondered about this so thought I'd ask.

Maybe "everyone" doesn't walk counter-clockwise, but it seems like most everyone does. Especially the morning power walkers.

I've never seen any signs on the deck telling people which direction to go, nor have I seen any other mention of it.

They walk counter-clockwise because there are arrows posted telling you to do so. We walk at a fast pace and sometimes we would walk clockwise when there were other very slow walkers so they would sort of make room for us to pass. If we walked in the same direction as they did it was difficult to get past them.

They walk counter-clockwise because there are arrows posted telling you to do so. We walk at a fast pace and sometimes we would walk clockwise when there were other very slow walkers so they would sort of make room for us to pass. If we walked in the same direction as they did it was difficult to get past them.

Hmm. When I noticed this phenomenon on the Maasdam and the Statendam last year I looked and didn't notice any signs. I must have missed them.

I've wondered about this so thought I'd ask.

Maybe "everyone" doesn't walk counter-clockwise, but it seems like most everyone does. Especially the morning power walkers.

I've never seen any signs on the deck telling people which direction to go, nor have I seen any other mention of it.

South of the equator everyone walks clock-wise. :p

Hmm. When I noticed this phenomenon on the Maasdam and the Statendam last year I looked and didn't notice any signs. I must have missed them.

On the Amsterdam the sign with the arrows and message to walk that way are posted on the aft and stern of the ship. Perhaps you weren't observant enough to notice them or your ship lacked them.

It may relate to the maritime tradition with regards to passageway and ladder direction onboard a ship.

But that wouldn't explain why pretty much everyone was doing it. I wouldn't think they were all so well-versed in maritime tradition.

On the Amsterdam the sign with the arrows and message to walk that way are posted on the aft and stern of the ship. Perhaps you weren't observant enough to notice them or your ship lacked them.

Either or both are certainly possibilities! I will make a very close inspection next month on the Oosterdam.

I never really thought about it. But I have noticed that's the way most people walk. A track I used to walk at did counter-clockwise M, W, F, & S and clockwise T, T, & S. I thought that was a great way to do it.

But while we're discussing walking, I am going to mention my biggest peeve about it -- people walking two or three abreast and blocking the way when people come up behind them walking faster than they are. SINGLE FILE PEOPLE!!! Especially in the tight areas.

I stepped out on deck one morning on Veendam, and I strolled aft toward some deck chairs that were not reserved. A woman who was walking counterclockwise scolded me for walking the wrong way. :eek: She was the only one out there power-walking, and I wasn't in her way, but she needed to tell me what I was SUPPOSED to do.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I seem to recall seeing signs and/or arrows on more than one ship suggesting that pattern. In the Navy it is standard when going to General Quarters (when time is essential) the standard rule is moving forward and to upper decks on starboard and aft and to lower decks on port: having everyone following the same flow pattern expedites the process.

I seem to recall seeing signs and/or arrows on more than one ship suggesting that pattern. In the Navy it is standard when going to General Quarters (when time is essential) the standard rule is moving forward and to upper decks on starboard and aft and to lower decks on port: having everyone following the same flow pattern expedites the process.

I still remember it..."Up the starboard, Down the port" :)

A common thread and reason...."Just about every circular sport runs counterclockwise-horse racing, NASCAR, baseball. Why? Who knows? Though most believe it was probably an arbitrary decision and tradition that started with the chariot races at Rome's Circus Maximus stadium in the sixth century BC, experts in biomechanics think there also may be some coincidental physiological benefits. Most people are right-leg dominant, so they use their left leg more for support. When running counterclockwise, you'll take longer strides with your right leg-which allows for more propulsion and speed on the turns."

Bottom line on the HAL ships....from those of us who walk the Promenade....PLEASE do as the signs say.....walk counter clock wise!

I haven't seen the signs on a ship in awhile but I do remember them at some point. I really wish that everyone would do this. I like to get my excercise walking the deck and the people walking in the opposite direction seem to cause a hiccup in the flow. I usually pass everyone but I also keep my eyes and ears open for those who wish to pass. Those walking 2-3 abreast with no awareness of their surroundings can make things difficult.