What to wear

lneilan

I have an odd question. i almost never wear pants and do not own any. i am going on an Alaskan cruise this month and wonder what I need in order to do some easy excursions - nothing very physical. i am 63 and a plus sized person.

Are jeans necessary or are there any other suggestions?

I, too, almost never wear slacks, and don't own any jeans. But I find in Alaska that I like having a pair of slacks with me, along with a couple of sweat shirts. Those, along with flat sweater to add a layer, a jacket and gloves, come in handy. Slacks are better than jeans, since they dry faster. It rains up there!

I have also brought along a sweat suit or two, but find the slacks more versatile with various tops.

You could wear tall fuzzy boots, a long, heavy skirt, and/or wool tights to cover your legs from the possible cold, wind and/or rain.

Alaska is always a gamble with the weather - could be sunny or it could be like we found it in the middle of June - ski parka and winter clothing was the order of the day.

Recently in Norway and Shetland, we saw that keeping the head and upper body warm is really key as we saw plenty of the younger women wearing mini-skirts and heavy toppers. So they let the legs show, and looked very happy doing it.

Scarf, hat, earmuffs and gloves will also go a long way to keeping you warm enough, with your choice of skirts and heavy jacket.

Edited by OlsSalt

I have an odd question. i almost never wear pants and do not own any. i am going on an Alaskan cruise this month and wonder what I need in order to do some easy excursions - nothing very physical. i am 63 and a plus sized person.

Also a bit in the plus size and your age. I don't like jeans, they are too heavy, dig at the waist and are plain uncomfortable even when I find some that fit properly with out the stuffed sausage look!

On my last couple Alaska cruises I took J Jill knit pants and they where very comfy. Also some Landsend. Both have a woman's plus sizing. I also can wear some Chico's size 3 & 4. For dressy pants I wore black velour and pretty tops.

So if knit pants work for you just get some fuller leg heavier knit pants.

It's a great cruise and you will really enjoy Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks - I hate wearing jeans and think i will simply bring black pants.

That is what I do. A pair of tights underneath make them a lot warmer, but in July I think you're OK with just the pants.

You may not need the pants at all, but it is a good idea to take them just in case.

Good suggestion to check out the sporting goods brands for comfortable pull up all-weather pants - like for fishing or duck hunting. Ebay for the better known brands too and get this maybe one time use item at a discount.

I got some for China in the dead of winter at Cabela's - flexible waist, fleece on the inside, rain proof on the out and super pull on comfortable. If you miss the word "stylish" ...well, no oversight but they were light weight, packable and perfect.

Edited by OlsSalt

I never wore slacks until I retired -- always dresses and skirts with blouses.

Have never owned a pair of jeans -- JMO -- I always thought that people who wore them were from the country.

For Alaska have 2 pairs of slacks -- one pair black and one pair blue for on shore walking and excursions.

All these are great suggestions and i think I may try to track down a comfy, warmish pair of slip on pants.

Thanks to all!

It is my first Alaskan cruise and I am really excited.:)

To clarify....

• without pants.... what do you have in your wardrobe? I assume you thinking about a skirt. What were you thinking of wearing in Alaska?
  • What excursions are you thinking of going on? Glacier flights that have you landing on a glacier can get drafty with a skirt.

When travelling.... I love my cargo pants! Just load up the pockets with essentials for the day.

I live in Scandinavia where it's freezing in the winter and I never wear pants, even when I cycle in the winter. If you don't want to wear pants, I suggest a long skirt and heavy tights, possibly 2 pairs of tights in different weights. I find that a pair of nylon tights under a pair of woolen tights keeps my legs toasty.

Originally from MN and was addicted to my silk long underwear, especially the above the knee length ones that I wore under skirts to stay warm but not be hot when indoors. Bought mine from some mail order company who's name I cannot remember but might have been LandsEnd or Cabelas. Might be an option for you.

I wear jogging suits or fleece pante..try leggings with long tops pr sweaters...it did get chilly in Alaska ,,I wore jeans very comfy wear what makes you comfy but warm ...layer tops to go from cool to comfy

Just back from AK and one reason for pants are mosquitoes and black flies! Mosquitos were heavy in Skagway this week....glad to have pants and long sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I never even thought of that, but I am not going to go uncovered. i will wear tights, leggings, things like that. But thanks for the head's up.

What ever you decide to wear, have a fabulous cruise.

Originally from MN and was addicted to my silk long underwear, especially the above the knee length ones that I wore under skirts to stay warm but not be hot when indoors. Bought mine from some mail order company who's name I cannot remember but might have been LandsEnd or Cabelas. Might be an option for you.

My long silk underwear kept me nice & toasty in Alaska..I did not like wearing Jeans, as they take too long to dry & can be cold on buses if they get wet.. :eek:

... Have never owned a pair of jeans -- JMO -- I always thought that people who wore them were from the country...

... your post raises a couple of questions: 1) From which "country"?; and 2) Why would dressing like a person "from the country" be such a bad thing that you wouldn't want to be mistaken for someone from there?

Avian, I thought the same thing, then I saw it was posted by someone who identifies themself as "krazy" so I thought that probably answered the question. I have been on many cruises and on land tours all over the world and I have probably seen thousands of people in jeans. I doubt they all are from the "country." Also, isn't it a common complaint of the formal dressers that people come to the dining room in jeans? I was born and raised in a rural area (country) and never owned a pair of jeans until they came into fashion (probably 70's?)

During the first week of July several years ago our cruise to the inside passage required at one port several layers of clothing, it was very cold, very rainy, boots, gloves, a hat, cords were much appreciated. Another port was warm, the mosquitos we're merciless. A skirt on Vanvouver Island would have been appropriate, however "jeans" are now the accepted pant everywhere other than the most formal restaurant or event. My curvy friend wears longer shirts over slimmer cut jeans for a more dressy look.

That said - An attractive scarf will dress up any outfit. Suddenly jeans are not noticed, the scarf and your face are!

Alaska is beautiful! Have a wonderful trip!

A