All Things Coffee on Board RCI

jazzbot

A thread dedicated to all things coffee on RCI.

I am reading reviews the the coffee is of poor quality. Of course this is subjective to ones taste. I would like to have a good (not necessarily strong) cup in my cabin and at breakfast.

1) Is room service coffee on time , decent and different the the main dining room?

2) Should I bring my Aero Press and own grounds for in cabin coffee?

3) What other option do I have of in-cabin coffee?

4) If main dinning room breakfast coffee is really of poor quality is it acceptable for me to bring my Aero Press and beans to the table and make my own?

Jamaica is on my agenda and it would be a shame not to be able to serve up some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee once out of port.

Going on the Mariner of the Sea Dec. 11th

A thread dedicated to all things coffee on RCI.

I am reading reviews the the coffee is of poor quality. Of course this is subjective to ones taste. I would like to have a good (not necessarily strong) cup in my cabin and at breakfast.

1) Is room service coffee on time , decent and different the the main dining room? Of course it can't be as hot as if you got it on site. But it is fairly timely. It is swill as far as I'm concerned but I'm really picky about my coffee.

2) Should I bring my Aero Press and own grounds for in cabin coffee? I have tried this with a stinger (i.e. really not allowed) because the water with room service is not as hot as it should be for press. But it ended up being too big a mess.

3) What other option do I have of in-cabin coffee? My DH runs down to the Promenade Cafe, where we consider the coffee to be the best on board. Grabs our coffee and some pastry from the case and runs back up for our morning cup. We even booked right over the cafe this cruise:p;) 7236

4) If main dinning room breakfast coffee is really of poor quality is it acceptable for me to bring my Aero Press and beans to the table and make my own? I shouldn't think so, but whatever floats your boat!:cool:

Jamaica is on my agenda and it would be a shame not to be able to serve up some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee once out of port. The quality of the coffee in the port shops is not very good. At least ours wasn't...very disappointed once home. But the coffee in the local markets is good so we had our guide stop for us and picked some up there. I think the souvenir coffee sits on the shelf too long under not ideal conditions.

Going on the Mariner of the Sea Dec. 11th

We bring her in for you (Dec. 4), will make sure the coffee is still the same in the cafe:D

Personally (subjectively) I have no problem with the coffee. I would rate the coffee in the MDR as outstanding and look forward to it each evening. My wife agrees and always comments about how good the coffee there is. WJ seems different to me but is still OK. Coffee for room service would be same as WJ but in mornings has always been roughly on time. I think room service ordered night before can be scheduled by them for delivery a lot easier than calling in a request.

Not sure what an Aero Press is but as long as it does not require electricity it should be OK. If just a manual French Press type it should be OK in MDR. They will definitely provide hot water. You might get some dubious looks from the wait staff. If you do it once it might be good to also order a cup of the MDR coffee and to a taste comparison to see if it is worth the bother.

They also have Seattle's Best coffee for an extra charge on the ships at specific locations. But THAT I have taste problems with (same as Starbucks) because even the "mild" roasts are way too dark and bitter. Which is weird given all the years I lived in the Seattle area. I prefer fruity, sweet (without sweetner) and almost toffee like tasting coffee with just a hint of acidity and no burnt or bitter aspects.

Another factor for the coffee on the ship.... it is made with very pure water. About the same as making coffee with bottled water. Many people from areas with really bad water (minerals and taste) are used to that and ship coffee will taste different from at home.

I also like the coffee from Cafe Promenade. I assume the Mariner OTS will be like the Voyager OTS with Seattle's Best coffee. It always smells so good just walking by Cafe Promenade. I like to mix a packet of the dark hot chocolate with my Cafe Promenade coffee for a free mocha. You can get it to-go in a paper cup (be sure to use the "sleeve" to avoid the "ouch") and take it just about anywhere on the ship. Sometimes I make a decaf mocha at night and take it into the theater show. One problem -- no half-and-half, only milk.

The MDR coffee is so-so. Not really bad but not great. But, for after dinner, I often ask for real whipped cream to add to my coffee. This makes it special. Note that Royal Caribbean does NOT have free cappuccino in the MDR like Carnival has -- it is an extra charge on RCCL.

Becci -- See you Dec. 4.

Unfortunately, we have never experienced a " good" cup of coffee on any of the RCCL ships, unless we purchased it from Seattles Best. As avid coffee drinkers, we understand your coffee concern and the importance of having that "good" cup of coffee! Hope this helps :) !

It usually takes me 2-3 days to figure out what ratios I need to use to make a decent cup. Last trip it was a 70/30 mix of coffee to hot water in the cafe promenade and about 50/50 in the WJ... I haven't felt the need to try to sneak my Keurig with me yet ;). We got the Seattle's best packets as a gift one night on the pillows - brought it home and brewed a full pot with it... Still nasty lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought Folgers Coffee Singles and a Contigo 16oz leak-proof travel mug with me, used hot water from Cafe Promenade, 2 of the coffee bags for the 16oz mug.

All mornings and throughout the day I used the Folgers. After dinner I drank coffee in the MDR. Coffee in the MDR was alright. Not the best I've had, but by far not the worst. In case it's helpful, at home I drink Folgers medium roast and out is almost always Dunkin' Donuts (people will tell you I live there, lol!).

Husband & I are big coffee drinkers. We dont care for RCI coffee & bring our own Maxwellhouse & 4 cup coffee maker. We know its a no no but so far;) no problems. We are extra careful to clean it & put it away after use.

Folgers, Maxwell House? I thought this was about coffee? JUST KIDDING.

As for using the Aero Press, it would be hard to use it in the cabin as you need water just off the boil and you can't get water that hot from room service. But possibly in main dining but you will get some looks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

IMHO I've sailed both RCI and Carnival, and neither of them have decent coffee. If they serve Seattles Best, I don't ever want to try their worst, or even so-so coffee. lol. I just don't like strong coffee. I've learned in the MDR to get a half cup of coffee, and ask for some hot water. I then fill the cup rest of the way with water, and then add some cream. It's fairly decent that way. In WJ, even filling the cup half way with hot water, doesn't do much for the taste. McDonald's used to have some of the best coffee around, til they started that darn "dark roast" crap. Can't stand it. Now if I go to McDonald's, I take my own coffee along. I don't care who see's it. I did hear some good news the other day. Starbuck's is going to introduce a new coffee, called Blonde Roast. Supposed to be much lighter in flavor. I might have to try that one, as can't stand the other stuff they serve.

IMHO I've sailed both RCI and Carnival, and neither of them have decent coffee. If they serve Seattles Best, I don't ever want to try their worst, or even so-so coffee. lol. I just don't like strong coffee. I've learned in the MDR to get a half cup of coffee, and ask for some hot water. I then fill the cup rest of the way with water, and then add some cream. It's fairly decent that way. In WJ, even filling the cup half way with hot water, doesn't do much for the taste. McDonald's used to have some of the best coffee around, til they started that darn "dark roast" crap. Can't stand it. Now if I go to McDonald's, I take my own coffee along. I don't care who see's it. I did hear some good news the other day. Starbuck's is going to introduce a new coffee, called Blonde Roast. Supposed to be much lighter in flavor. I might have to try that one, as can't stand the other stuff they serve.

Grany, you're not a coffee drinker, you like mocha flavored water! JK!:D

I'm not sure where that information came from.

Now, I don't drink coffee with my lunch or dinner, so I cannot comment on MDR.

I mainly drink it in the morning, and I am willing to travel to get it.

For me, this means the promenade, for what I still believe is free Seattle's Best.

And I'm a bit of a coffee snob on land.. I live in the city, walking distance to a dozen coffee shops. I will never be caught dead drinking any of their coffee. I'm pretty particular about the way my beans are stored and how long, how they are ground, what temperature and pressure water flows through them, what kind of water, I can go on =)

IMHO I've sailed both RCI and Carnival, and neither of them have decent coffee. If they serve Seattles Best, I don't ever want to try their worst, or even so-so coffee. lol. I just don't like strong coffee. I've learned in the MDR to get a half cup of coffee, and ask for some hot water.

I would agree with this, though. I cut the coffee with hot water. It ends up being somewhere between drip, and cafe americano.

OP, I didn't see that you posted the type of cabin you're sailing in. If you book a junior or full suite, you will find a hot water kettle and coffee pot in your cabin. Although they provide pods (it's a single-cup coffeemaker), we bring packets of Starbucks Via (the Columbian isn't bitter like their usual offerings) and just boil water in the kettle. It's easier and not so messy.:)

You can get it to-go in a paper cup (be sure to use the "sleeve" to avoid the "ouch") and take it just about anywhere on the ship.

Just a note that Mariner (if not many other ships in the fleet) has done away with the paper cup in the PC. They were not using them when we were onboard and you had to use the small plastic mugs. Bummer.

Take your own insulated coffee mug for, at least the appearance of, a better cup of coffee. ;):p

We're going on the EOS in a week. We haven't been on a RC ship for about 8 yrs. We usually go on Princess every yr, because the price and ports were right. We love Princess's coffee! I know theirs gets alot of hate posts, but we find it to our tastes. We did not care for Seattle's Best, and also don't like Starbucks. It's just not our taste. I hope I find a cup, or a way to make it my cup of coffee. I'm sure that the whip cream that was mentioned could help. My preferred coffee shop is Dunkin Donuts.

Coffee on Rci is the pits! Room service coffee was okay enough to drink, provided you added sugar and cream... The decaf in the dining room made my eyes water, awful stuff...

The line for Dunkin Donuts Coffee at Ft lauderdale airport was full of RCCL passengers complaining about the RCI coffee and hugging their DD coffee when they got it....

Then cappaccino machine in the concierge lounge provided freshly ground coffee that was very decent...

Husband & I are big coffee drinkers. We dont care for RCI coffee & bring our own Maxwellhouse & 4 cup coffee maker. We know its a no no but so far;) no problems. We are extra careful to clean it & put it away after use.

We I for one am a HUGE coffee drinker, and that is one of my pet pives with cruising, hard to find a good cup unless yes you go to the coffee shops. Room service I find is on time or fairly quick however it's like mud, old and cold. Truly disappointing after waiting 30 mins for the arrival..lol. I always take my own ground coffee and maker. Never had an issue until my last RCC got busted security kept it till the end of the cruise. So no decent coffee that cruise. Having said that I leave tomorrow, and once again will attempt to get my little 1 cup maker on, last time it was a perkulator. So fingers crossed that I will be in coffee heaven. Just curious did you put your maker in carry on or luggage, last time I did luggage. Was thinking carry on this time (cause at least if they take it, it won't hold up my luggage deliver)?

We lost our electricity this week due to the Halloween nor'easter but since I have a gas range I could still boil water and make a very acceptable cup of coffee. I put approximately 2 tablespoons of Dunkin Donuts coffee in a filter and put that in my mug. I carefully poured the water into the mug while holding the top of the filter (in order to keep in the grounds) and then swirled the filter around two or three times. Removed the filter and grounds, added a bit more hot water and I had a great cup of coffee.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble while on a cruise but I don't see why you couldn't bring your own coffee to the promenade cafe and try to improvise.

I believe that its the desalinated water on board that makes the coffee taste different. Its not bad (there are other cruise lines that are worse) its just different.

Just a note that Mariner (if not many other ships in the fleet) has done away with the paper cup in the PC. They were not using them when we were onboard and you had to use the small plastic mugs. Bummer.

That's not good. Sure will make it harder to take somewhere without spilling it.

Just off the OAS...the only good coffee . We had to pay for at Cafe Promenade or Cafe Mondo(now turning into a Starbucks) Also made VIA coffee in room..just ordered two pots of hot water from room service.

I even made my own ice tea..got a few looks in MDR but it was good.

Asked for two glasses of ice and hot tea..It worked.

Great Information all. Cutting the coffee in the MDR and asking for whip cream during desert are great ideas. Does not quit solve my in-cabin morning coffee dilemma as any lukewarm room service coffee will be tossed off the balcony. Don't really want to leave my room but seems I may have no choice.

On a side note: Strange thing about big name brand coffee (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc..). Every time I try them they suck to me but my mom makes a mean Maxwell instant coffee I just can't seem to reproduce at my house. Interesting what magic touches moms have.

OP, I didn't see that you posted the type of cabin you're sailing in. If you book a junior or full suite, you will find a hot water kettle and coffee pot in your cabin. Although they provide pods (it's a single-cup coffeemaker), we bring packets of Starbucks Via (the Columbian isn't bitter like their usual offerings) and just boil water in the kettle. It's easier and not so messy.:)

THANK YOU! You just answered my question before I asked! We are in a jr suite for this first time, and was wondering about the size and type of coffee pot.

Archived