Zaandam Main deck aft cabins

MaudieT56

Hello, we are thinking of booking on the Zaandam Northbound Vancouver to Seward in August 2013. I have just started looking at cabins and need some opinions. We will be booking an ocean view and my research has led me to Deck 2 (main deck) as it seems to be a quiet deck with only cabin above - no promenade.

I came across these two cabins aft G2713 and G2715, they only have showers not tubs which is fine by us. There is a small deck right outside the rooms which is almost like having a balcony. But my main concern, if we can get these cabins, is if smokers would congregate there? Being non smokers it would be just awful for us. We will be two couples traveling together and thought these suites would be great.

Love to get your thoughts and if not these then what's the next best?

Thank you

We've never been on the Zaandam, but in general unlabeled white space is for "crew only", while public decks are usually "lined" like the Verandah deck forward and aft areas. The doors leading out there are probably marked Crew Only, Emergency Exit. That's isn't to say that some people won't ignore those signs and go out there to smoke, but if they do, and bother you, you can call security to have them removed.

Edited by catl331

Thank you Carol. Yes it is "lined" on the deck plan so I am assuming that we or anyone can use that area.

I guess if we were sitting out there and someone started smoking then we would have to grin and bear it or move. :rolleyes:

Yes it is "lined" on the deck plan so I am assuming that we or anyone can use that area.

No, it's not lined on the deck plan that I see:

http://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/fleet/next/za_m.pdf

Those three little lined squares denote stairs, and at the top of those stairs (on the Upper Promenade) there is probably signage indicating that passengers are not allowed down there.

Compare the areas at the forward and aft ends of the Verandah Deck, which are public:

http://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/fleet/next/za_v.pdf

Edited by catl331

We have had an E cabin in this location of the Main Deck, and absolutely loved it.

We never noticed anyone smoking in the area and the deck was never crowded. It is sheltered from the elements, which makes it enjoyable for being out on when the weather is not so nice.

You will have to stand at the rail to view the scenery, although there maybe a deck chair or two there. When we were on the Zaandam previously there was only one deck chair in this location.

There is a set of stairs that take you to the Deck 3, which is great for a quick escape to walk on the Lower Promenade.

We stayed in aft Main Deck ocean view cabin on the Amsterdam last August - just steps out to the little used public deck (and it IS a public deck, not just for crew use). A simple walk up one flight to the Promenade. There are "No smoking" signs on that aft Main deck, so it won't be an issue for you. There is smoking permitted on the aft of the Promenade deck one flight up, but you would not be bothered by that. I say book that cabin and enjoy!

Hello, we are thinking of booking on the Zaandam Northbound Vancouver to Seward in August 2013. I have just started looking at cabins and need some opinions. We will be booking an ocean view and my research has led me to Deck 2 (main deck) as it seems to be a quiet deck with only cabin above - no promenade.

I came across these two cabins aft G2713 and G2715, they only have showers not tubs which is fine by us. There is a small deck right outside the rooms which is almost like having a balcony. But my main concern, if we can get these cabins, is if smokers would congregate there? Being non smokers it would be just awful for us. We will be two couples traveling together and thought these suites would be great.

Love to get your thoughts and if not these then what's the next best?

Thank you

Smoking is not allowed on deck outside those cabins. If you met someone there smoking, just direct them to aft deck 8, starboard. :D

I just returned from a cruise on the Zaandam, July 8-15. I walked the promenade deck (3) multiple times a day, and there were always people smoking at the back of the ship, just above the stairs down to deck 2. There are ashtrays back there, so it seemed allowed. I just held my breath for those few steps.

Thanks for posting about the smoking, I too hold my breath as I walk past the smoking gang.

At this stage I am thinking I may change my mind and book with either Princess or Celebrity, they have much stricter smoker rules.

We have stayed in the aft cabins on the Zaandam a couple of times and have never met any one else on the aft deck when we were out there. This was on the Navigation deck.

The first time we had the aft cabin, the aft deck had two tables and two chairs @ each table on both sides of the deck.

The second time there was no table or chairs so we just asked our steward to supply them and voila! There they were.

We never had an issue with other passengers using the deck. Let alone smokers.

Rockfan2

• 4 years later...
I am thinking of booking one of these cabins for the 14-day Alaska Cruise. How are they in terms of noise and motion? Thanks

We were in cabin 2701 for 14 days and the most noise I remember is from the slamming doors, both the cabin doors and the door out to the "secret deck". It's not really a deck that is quiet and relaxing as you hear the ships engine which is quite loud but the convenience of having one flight up to the lower promenade is great. When docking you will hear the rumbling of the ship as well as the lines being released although I found the slamming of the doors more annoying overall.

It's a crap shoot on how the seas will be and the movement, never really bothering us though.

Even with the slamming of the doors and other things mentioned above we would not hesitate to be in this area again.