How to dress for a formal evening.....Men & Women

Rotterdam

After reading so many comments about how to dress & pack for evenings I came across this posting from a news article I read....enjoy..

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/party-pictures/2017/mcnys-winter-ball

You have to love the Europeans .....

They are dressed in "Black Tie" for a social fundraising event.......

After reading so many comments about how to dress & pack for evenings I came across this posting from a news article I read....enjoy..

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/party-pictures/2017/mcnys-winter-ball

You have to love the Europeans .....

What does this have to do with Europeans, it's an American event

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After 35+ years of having a home in New York City and attending many such events & the opera etc I've found the Europeans tend to really rise to the occasion on these formal evenings. I've been on cruises since the 1970's and truly remember what Formal meant onboard. I myself have several dinner jackets, tuxedos & many accessories that are used often & refreshed regularly - both on land & at sea.

Fashion should be fun - so why not make the most of it - especially when at sea!!!:D

After 35+ years of having a home in New York City and attending many such events & the opera etc I've found the Europeans tend to really rise to the occasion on these formal evenings. I've been on cruises since the 1970's and truly remember what Formal meant onboard. I myself have several dinner jackets, tuxedos & many accessories that are used often & refreshed regularly - both on land & at sea.

Fashion should be fun - so why not make the most of it - especially when at sea!!!:D

Fashion can be be fun:)...but a long skirt/dress slacks and pretty top are fine for me on a cruise. Wearing a ball gown is not part of me,

my lifestyle at home or at sea. Living in the Big Apple is much different than living in "most" other cities........sans Chicago,

LA, etc.......regular working folks (I would be in that category) have no reason to to go to any black tie events....

My DW and I enjoy formal dress on our cruises, but I have come to detest wearing a tie:mad:. I will be taking a tux for formal nights and am thinking of getting a couple of ascots to wear with it. Would this work?

My DW and I enjoy formal dress on our cruises, but I have come to detest wearing a tie:mad:. I will be taking a tux for formal nights and am thinking of getting a couple of ascots to wear with it. Would this work?

While I can't say I've seen somebody with an ascot I'd think it would be just fine. In my mind an ascot is certainly tie like enough to meet the dress code and certainly better than an ill fitting tie. Personally I was a tux guy until I wore out my tux and when I went to replace it I went with a black suit. Now I take that and what I consider more formal silk ties and don't feel the least bit out of place.

An Ascot would certainly be a talking point. However, traditionally it would have been worn during the day either formally or informally. It's not formal evening wear but I'm sure it will look good with your tux.

Thank you both.

I'm aware that an ascot is not exactly "formal evening wear", but since it often is formal wear during the day, it seems like when worn with a tux, it would be more appropriate than a suite with a tie. I also suspect it would be more comfortable to me.

My DH started wearing an ascot when we cruised the Amazon. Although he only wears them on informal nights because he enjoys tying his own bow tie, you should enjoy yourself and wear one with your tux. It sounds like a great idea. What color ascot?

Or you could go full-bore often uncomfortable but pretty attractive like many of the people at this event in Calgary in Canada recently https://www.calgaryhighlandersball.com/photos .

Thank you both.

I'm aware that an ascot is not exactly "formal evening wear", but since it often is formal wear during the day, it seems like when worn with a tux, it would be more appropriate than a suite with a tie. I also suspect it would be more comfortable to me.

I've got to admit...I also don't like dressing up. After wearing a suit/tie every day at work for over 20 years have considered it a necessary evil. In Washington, DC the trend has been towards less formal and now I rarely wear a tie for work. Usually just a sports coat.

This trip is making me feel obligated to take my wingtips, slightly more casual shoes, walking shoes, and sneakers. With a size 12 shoe, this is one bag! I normally prefer to consolidate my wardrobe on trips (and think about it as little as possible). Maybe after a few drinks this part of the experience will seem more enjoyable. :D

On our last formal night dinner while waiting to be seated, a gentleman in front of us was informally dressed with no neck tie was handed a tie by the restaurant manager, but the gentleman couldn’t or did not know how to tie it, so a waiter took the gentleman to one side and tied it for him. During dinner I noticed the same gentleman seated near us had removed his jacket and was wearing what looked like a casual shirt, but he still had the tie on. Maybe some people don't read the instruction manual prior to going on a cruise.

I however have never had a dinner suit. On formal night I wear a dark suit, wing collar shirt and self tie black bow tie. Many other gentlemen are dressed in business suites or a blazer and slacks and always with a tie and are smartly dressed. Which is acceptable to the instruction manual, the restaurant manager and the rest of the passengers.

Just a little on afternoon tea in the Terrazza. I turned up still in swimming trunks and a throw over type shirt and the magic blue crocks and asked if it was OK to go in to tea dressed like this. This was answered by a long hesitation followed by an instruction from Mrs. R to go and change. When I returned more appropriately dressed I had to apologised to the room manager for putting him in that unfair position.

On the cravat or ascot question. I don't think they would be appropriate for formal night but I would never object to them. Just a personal opinion.