Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway not Flam!

Hello: Our cruise itinerary for August 2014 has changed ports from Flam to Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway. We chose the cruise to take the Flam railway :mad:

What is there to experience in Skjolden/Sognefjord apart from scenery and Stave churches?

Hello: Our cruise itinerary for August 2014 has changed ports from Flam to Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway. We chose the cruise to take the Flam railway :mad:

What is there to experience in Skjolden/Sognefjord apart from scenery and Stave churches?

Unless you take a ship's tour, there is very little to do in this port, apart from walking and enjoying the spectacular scenery. The cruise in and out of the fjord is worth the visit on it's own.

This a port where good weather is needed to make the most of the beautiful local walks.

Unless you take a ship's tour, there is very little to do in this port, apart from walking and enjoying the spectacular scenery. The cruise in and out of the fjord is worth the visit on it's own.

This a port where good weather is needed to make the most of the beautiful local walks.

Thanks so much -- the weather comment was my thought also.

I much prefer to go at my own pace than be on a photo-op bus tour. This summer we were in Oslo and visited the Norwegian Folk Museum so saw the amazing Stave church and farm buildings there.

Edited by Alaskanb

Your cruise itinerary on the search function is still showing a stop in Flam so many others will be disappointed too.

Your cruise itinerary on the search function is still showing a stop in Flam so many others will be disappointed too.

Yes it is, and if like us they will be disappointed-- I called Princess to confirm the change and on the Personalizer itinerary map it now shows as Flam/Sognefjord and under ports of call says Skjolden. It will be interesting to see what the excursions will be.... :(

Edited by Alaskanb

• 3 years later...

I am taking a Princess Cruise through the Norwegian Fjords this summer, with a stop in Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway. The ship only offers 3 tours in this port and each one seems to be a sedentary bus panoramic tour (two with a church visit - not my thing). I am looking for an alternative; some soft adventure or at least something a little more active than a bus tour. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 2 months later...
I am taking a Princess Cruise through the Norwegian Fjords this summer, with a stop in Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway. The ship only offers 3 tours in this port and each one seems to be a sedentary bus panoramic tour (two with a church visit - not my thing). I am looking for an alternative; some soft adventure or at least something a little more active than a bus tour. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm also trying to find independent excursions in Skjolden. I've read somewhere that you can join tours at the visitor centre but cannot find any details. The visitor centre does not have a website. Has anyone tried any non-ship excursions? Any details are appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also trying to find independent excursions in Skjolden. I've read somewhere that you can join tours at the visitor centre but cannot find any details. The visitor centre does not have a website. Has anyone tried any non-ship excursions? Any details are appreciated![

Same here.

I think your ship may be stopping here on May 17th, which is the National Holiday, and that also makes it difficult to find tour companies willing to work on that day.

Maybe there will be local parades to enjoy???

Liz