RSSC Navigator vs. SS Whisper

SSCAF001

Hello

There are 2 very similar cruises for Christmas 2018

Silversea whisper from FLL to SFO 18 nights

Regent Navigator from MIA to LA 16 nights

I have cruised 3 times on cunard queens grill qm2 twice and qv once but never on a luxury line.

Which cruise line would you recommend most between SS and RSSC and more specifically between SS Whisper and RSSC Navigator. I have read that the Navigator does not behave well in rough seas. What about the Whisper? Many thanks in advance for your kind advices to help me to choose. Cheers from Switzerland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am an unabashed SS devotee, but I have sailed on the Regent Navigator 3x....years ago. Had a particularly terrific time when we sailed from LA to Sydney, but this was a long time ago, and the next two trips were far less wonderful. The Navigator is an old ship, built on a Russian hull. Until you get used to it, the shutter/quiver at the stern of the ship is terrifying...then you get used to it, and it's just annoying but slightly unsettling.

That all said, the Whisper is my favorite SS ship. An easy choice for me..the Whisper every time!

While I have not been on Navigator, I am a Regent fan. That said our favorite ship is Silver Whisper. We sailed through a hurricane in SA, 120 mph winds, 20' seas with no problem. Disclosure, we love that sort of stuff. Were on Voyager during an Aussie typhoon, although Whisper is smaller, performance was about the same.

We have sailed on both the Whisper and the Navigator. We had booked the Navigator for Norway in the summer of 2018 with the Voyager on board cruise consultant earlier this month. Thirty minutes later friends who have over 50 cruises on Regent said, "do you know they refurbed the Navigator and the Navigator now, no longer has an observation lounge?"(forward lounge very important for scenic voyages during inclement weather (e.g., Norway, Chilean Fjords, Milford Sound, NZ). We transferred our booking immediately to China on the Mariner and will do Norway in 2019. With that as background, as long as you are not aft beyond the launderette on the Navigator (where vibration prevails whether you are on deck 5 or having dinner in Prime 7, on deck10). So, let's say you are standing on the pool deck, you could almost picture your self on the Whisper. Both of these ships were built as cruise ships by the Mariotti shipyard in Italy.

Having just sailed Silversea in November with dougburns and his lovely wife, and having just got off Regent's Voyager the 7th of this month after 40 days, (cuisine/service aside) unequivocally, in our view Regent offers a more enjoyable all included luxury cruise--especially if you enjoy daytime and late nite ship board activities/entertainment.

In sum, you really can't go wrong with either line, but in this case because the vibration is annoying and since the refurb

the public spaces have become more crowded. Friends here in Atlanta just got off the Navigator in February after 29 days on board and that was their observation. On the other hand friends have booked the Navigator for a Grand Voyage next year 80+ days because the smaller size helps you get to know the crew and fellow pax (same argument can be said of the Whisper too).

Long winded answer hopes this helps--and to muddy the waters our next voyage is on neither Silversea or Regent but Seabourn in Antarctica.

Suggest for a set of balance replies to also put this question on the Regent cruise critic board as well.

Edited by WesW

I have been on both the Navigator and Whisper, and I feel the Whisper is a better choice.

Saying that we have booked the Navigator in 2018 for 25 days. Suites on both are comparable, but service in my opinion on the Whisper is a notch above the Navigator. One of the major downfalls of the Navigator is that it doesn't have a forward opservation lounge. I always liked going there early in the morning for coffee on the Whisper. When we booked the Navigator I had to think twice before giving up that forward lounge.

Food (while subjective) is (in my mind) close in quality, but the Whisper has more options to dine than the Navigator. The ship vibration on the Navigator is real, but wasn't a deal breaker for us especially since we booked a mid deck suite. However, for others it could be. On the plus side the Navigator is more dress informal, and for many that means less packing. Now I know that some would not consider that a "plus", but that is why we have different cruise lines.

Now saying all of this one might question why we booked the Navigator. It came down to the itinerary and when we wanted to travel. I looked at Silverseas, Seabourn and Crystal (all of which we have cruised on), but couldn't find a comparable cruise during our time frame.

Bottom line: given the same itinerary I would definitely vote for the Whisper.

Fletcher, is your comment in regards to the Navigator or Whisper?

The Navigator had the refit I referred to. I'm sure it hasn't solved the vibration issue but it looks like a beautiful ship. I'm aboard this summer. The main drawback for me is the lack of a forward observation lounge, as onetravelbug mentions in the post above.