Are singles welcomed on Silversea?

haikou

Singles are welcomed and there are often special deals for them so they do not have to pay full surcharge like on other lines.

They have solo get-togethers, and people are happy to seat solos at communal tables, or alone if they prefer. 7:1 women usually. Typically 5-10 per cent solos, depending on the cruise.

There are other threads on this, you can run a forum search for attestations about solos.

I would not hesitate to solo cruise on SS.

Edited by Catlover54

Every time we are on SS ships, we run into about 4 to 8 woman traveling alone. Ship goes out of their way to make them feel comfortable. Even many nights dining with the Captain. My wife says; she will have no problem going alone on SS if something happens to me...

I have worked my way up through NCL, Costa, HAL, Celeb, Princess (Elite with them) and Oceania, and I've found Silversea to be the best for a solo looking for a more upmarket experience. You're treated like they actually value you as a passenger (as opposed to just being tolerated on other lines) and you can find some truly excellent bargain single supplements if you look.

I'm at 100+ days cruising solo on SS, and I've got four more cruises booked with them.

'Nuff said?

Edited by jollyjones

Although I haven't traveled solo, my husband and I were always impressed with how easy it is to engage with other passengers on Silversea.

Just sitting by the pool, people will give you a smile and a nice greeting. Very easy to strike up a conversation ("this is my first time on Silversea".. I'm looking forward to [port], have you been there before?"). And don't be surprised if they suggest meeting up for lunch or dinner. It's like that on Silversea.

Catlover54 mentioned the communal tables, and they're a terrific way to get to know other passengers. At dinner in the Restaurant, the Maitre d' will always ask if you'd like to join a table with others (they do this for couples, too), so you can be part of a table of 4-6. This also happens in La Terrazza at breakfast and lunch.

And, of course, one of the nice things about being on a small ship is that you'll see the same people throughout the voyage, so you'll quickly feel you have your own circle of friends. I wouldn't hesitate!

We have seen many single passengers on SS and chatted to, and had dinner with, several. From what we can gather SS looks after its solo passengers very well and fellow passengers, as mentioned above, are generally welcoming, interesting and sociable.

OP posted same on Seabourn board, but missed Crystal. I'm not interested in social intercourse and avoid hosted tables, dinner invites, groups of any kind.

After quite a few cruises on three lines. For solo travel, my order of preference.

1) Crystal

2) Silversea

3) Seabourn.....distant 3rd

As a female solo traveller SS suits me perfectly. You can do as much or as little as you like...many invites to hosted tables and plenty of others in the same boat! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Sophia

It's a given that when you are on board, young lady, the singles group will never be dull!

Several years ago on a Silver Spirit transatlantic, I took an unplanned solo cruise as my spouse was unable to go at the last minute. I have to say it was the best cruise I had ever taken in terms of meeting some terrific fellow cruisers including other solo cruisers and couples. By the end of the cruise, we all felt like family. Definitely would recommend Silversea if you are traveling alone.

I am a solo traveler currently on back to back cruises from Cape Town to Barcelona on the Silver Cloud. It could not be any friendlier to solo travelers. Of the 176 travelers on the first leg, there were 34 solos. On the second leg, there are 32 solos out of about 155 passengers. So, the percentage is about 20 percent, probably because of the low single supplement. On both legs, the solo male travelers slightly outnumber the female solo travelers.

About half the solos seem interested in being on their own. The other half get together frequently for drinks and dinner and are having a great time together.

I have always been a P and O girl but now that I usually cruise alone (OH hates cruising and daughter who always accompanied me now grown up and left home) I find their single supplement alarming and would like to move upmarket. I've been researching all the "luxury" lines and it sounds as though I'd like Silversea. I'm a foodie, like good wine, some music and lectures, and being treated well. Sometimes I just want to chill alone with a good book but other times I love meeting people and I'd like a more cosmopolitan mix than the overall "British" feel of P and O even though i enjoy their cruises.

I did my first cruise and as a solo last year and would highly recommend it. In the 10 days I never ate alone in the evening, I was always invited to share a meal with other people. I had my alone time and plenty of social time, just perfect. Enjoyed it so much off on my next one again as a solo, in May.

I did the Shadow from Hong Kong to Singapore at the end of November.

It was my first time on board following the passing of my husband. The solo travellers met every night at 7pm for a drink in the lounge, not everyone turned up but thats the beauty of SS.

I felt throughout the cruise I was welcomed at any activity and through the Solo Travellers group met some very interesting people.

So much so that I will be joining the Spirit for the T/A in April.

So much so that I will be joining the Spirit for the T/A in April.

I'll be on that cruise as a B2B with the previous Caribbean cruise, but sadly only for the first three days as I disembark in Bermuda - I'll get to meet all the solos then say goodbye! Perfect excuse for another cruise ...

All of this information is very reassuring to me. My husband and I were SS loyalists for 20 years until, suddenly I lost him last November. With me one minute, and gone the next. We'd been married for close to 50 years.

Thinking of going on adventures without him has been just awful. Of course I know that I am in the same boat with a lot of SS cruisers, but reading, and not just surmising people's success with single cruising on SS has made me much more optimistic. I try to be positive and open to making new friends and, mostly to learn to adjust to my new reality.

Over the years, we have met many vital and interesting people traveling solo. Wish me luck in being as open and upbeat as all of those solo SS sailors, my DH and I met over many happy years.

I'm very nervous, but determined to make new friends and to take advantage of my wonderful opportunities. Any and ALL suggestions will be gratefully received.

I struggled a lot going by my self but then I learned to go OK

its about how you deal with it and keeping your mind open...

it istn quite the end of the world although it darn well feel like it some times

I think SS does a great job at solos ( I am about 10 years too young) now if they just had a late 40s/early 50s solos Id be so happy.....(yep we can be widows too)

All of this information is very reassuring to me. My husband and I were SS loyalists for 20 years until, suddenly I lost him last November. With me one minute, and gone the next. We'd been married for close to 50 years.

Thinking of going on adventures without him has been just awful. Of course I know that I am in the same boat with a lot of SS cruisers, but reading, and not just surmising people's success with single cruising on SS has made me much more optimistic. I try to be positive and open to making new friends and, mostly to learn to adjust to my new reality.

Over the years, we have met many vital and interesting people traveling solo. Wish me luck in being as open and upbeat as all of those solo SS sailors, my DH and I met over many happy years.

I'm very nervous, but determined to make new friends and to take advantage of my wonderful opportunities. Any and ALL suggestions will be gratefully received.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I went through the same four years ago so I know that empty feeling.

You have no need to be nervous, I returned to cruising a year after my husband passed and have never looked back as there are many of us in the 'same boat'. I've never felt lonely and have met some lovely people along the way. Having something to look forward keeps me going...l have four voyages already booked!

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will be good at it. The crew knows you and you know the ships! You have many SS and CC friends and fans. I am voting for you![emoji568][emoji4][emoji485][emoji253]

So am I Pash. Still a lot of nautical miles to cover -- so if not now, when?

xoxoxo

Your Pal Dusa

• 11 months later...