Reykjavik - What to do other than Blue Lagoon en route from airport to Reykjavik?

Gourmet Gal

We will be renting a car upon our 9:00 AM arrival at KEF and are not interested in Blue Lagoon. We're planning to do the Golden Circle on our own the next day but are there any interesting sites to visit on the way to Reykjavik? It will be too early to check into our apartment and we would be up for one or two quick stops on the way in.

An honest answer IMO would be "not really". The drive from Keflavik to Reykjavik is easy but mostly filled with barren Icelandic landscape. I've been to Iceland twice [on land trips, not cruises] and both times rented a car. The Blue Lagoon truly is a wonderful experience though if you've never been there. It is definitely commercialized but makes for a nice start/end to a trip to the country as it's relaxing and the setting is lovely.

Enjoy the Golden Circle tour. It's wonderful! We did it in late winter when everything was still covered in snow; truly beautiful. The summer will look completely different but surely just as beautiful. I assume you are going to Iceland pre-cruise since you posted on CC? If you have time, a drive to Vik is also a great experience; it's at the very bottom center of the country with black sand beaches and a charming village. There are many waterfalls and "pull-over worthy" scenic vistas along the way as well.

We'll be in a similar situation. I'm interested in lighthouses, so I'm thinking of going to see the Gardur lighthouse on the Gardur peninsula, which is only about 10 miles W of the airport. We'll probably visit that, then look around the area of the Blue Lagoon, simply because I think there might be steam vents that will give us an idea of what the whole area is like, and then drive by a couple places in Reykjavik that are a bit farther out from center city (one of the swimming pools, the beach, the Botanical Gardens (I think)). I figure that, given where we're staying (central part of city near big church) we can do some sightseeing around center city later, but while in the car, it might be good to drive around to the places that are not within walking distance.) Also, since I might be interested in taking a ferry out to Videy Island, just off the coast of Reykjavik, we might drive to the Sundahofn area to see where I can pick up one of the ferries (and where the cruise ships dock, I believe.) If we still need to kill time, perhaps we'll just go down to the waterfront area (with the Harpa concert hall, boats, etc.) or go to the big church, which should be open,. Then again, after flying on Icelandair, we'll probably be very hungry for breakfast, and will just concentrate on getting a decent breakfast!

Edited by roothy123
get notifications

An honest answer IMO would be "not really". The drive from Keflavik to Reykjavik is easy but mostly filled with barren Icelandic landscape. I've been to Iceland twice [on land trips, not cruises] and both times rented a car. The Blue Lagoon truly is a wonderful experience though if you've never been there. It is definitely commercialized but makes for a nice start/end to a trip to the country as it's relaxing and the setting is lovely.

TOTALLY disagree. The Reykjanes Peninsula (where the airport and Lagoon are) is GORGEOUS. From the twin lighthouses at Gardur to the SW corner to Hopsness Lighthouse and point near Grindavik to the Seltún Geothermal area, you can easily spend a full day in that area without even stopping at the Blue Lagoon.

TOTALLY disagree. The Reykjanes Peninsula (where the airport and Lagoon are) is GORGEOUS. From the twin lighthouses at Gardur to the SW corner to Hopsness Lighthouse and point near Grindavik to the Seltún Geothermal area, you can easily spend a full day in that area without even stopping at the Blue Lagoon.

I guess I stand corrected and this is good info for the OP. I think I took her question a little too literally and only considered the straight shot to the capital from the airport (which to my eyes was not very exciting) and did not really consider deviations from the standard route to see other areas of the peninsula. When I went to Iceland the first time I went to the blue lagoon and enjoyed it so automatically just allocated time to go there on my second trip. Thanks for giving additional options! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds promising. Thanks. We will have some time before checking in at Black Pearl to deviate a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Reykjavik twice on land trips and will be going back to Iceland on a Transatlantic cruise this fall. In Reykjavik, I highly recommend Nudluskalin restaurant near the main shopping street of Lauvegur for well-priced (by Icelandic standards) and delicious noodle dishes. We like it so much we went twice on each if our two previous trips. It is small but has efficient service. http://www.nudluskalin.com/velkomin