Report on recent cruise on the Silver Cloud

Rocchi

This is not an extensive Silver Cloud review. Just a report on what I observed while on board.

During our cruise we were in a vista suite on deck 4 and visited two other suites, one on deck 4 and one one deck 7 and all three suites were in a fresh and clean condition.

The public areas around the lifts, stairs, corridors, reception and shops were clean and tidy with the brass all shiny and the carpets in clean condition.

The pool area decking looked newish with the wood just fading to grey as noted due to as small newly repaired area. The sun loungers looked new. The tables and chairs were fine. the and cook station and the bar area were in good condition and the varnished wood around the pool looked fantastic.

Upstairs from the pool deck the walking track green deck covering was in good condition .

The restaurant looked beautiful and opulent with the tables set with the usual high quality table ware. The dinner knives are still the ones that flip upside easily but I have become used to them.

The bar is in good condition, I was in it during the day and saw it in good light.

The Venetian lounge is in good condition and saw it when it was well lit during a lecture.

The Terrazza is in good condition, tables, chairs, food stations and outside. The only problem was that the starboard sliding door to the outside area was inoperative. However one door was enough.

The Panorama lounge is in generally good condition. Some of the chairs are upholstered in red and they were in good condition, some of the ones upholstered in cream appear a little grubby around where they a handled. There has been a water ingress problem where the the ceiling panels and mouldings have a little cosmetic damage in a line across the room but this is only noticeable when one is seated near the back of the room and look across from one side to the other.

Hot rocks. Not used. Decline to spend that amount then cook my own dinner.

Other rooms, the shops, The Champagne Restaurant, card room, smoking room were not used. The gym went unvisited, unused and unloved as we liked it as an observation lounge.

The external condition of the ship at this time is unfortunate but is only cosmetic. Her past few cruises in South Africa and Maputo where she docks against old to ancient rubber tyres has left black marks on her sides. The area affected is quite large and cannot reasonably be painted over every time. These ports have not got around to using the pneumatic floating roller type fender that does not mark the ship.

All other external areas not affected by the fenders looks fine.

As I have said elsewhere, the wee man with the bucket of white paint goes around the ship keeping everything he can reach touched up.

Just a little bit on ships services.

Food consistently good to excellent.

Wine. Complementary wine of a good quality and consistently improving from our previous several cruises.

Fellow passengers. All passenger we came in to contact with were nice and easy to get on with. Even the the gentleman I had an initial spat with over Brexit. So much for going on board with the resolution of not discussing politics or religion.

Crew. All crew we came in to contact with were great, new our name quickly and always very attentive. Except for one restaurant waiter, tall, fair headed European fellow. He was working on his superior, surly waiter act. Fortunately we are experienced enough to not bother with that sort of thing.

Staff. all very nice and customer focused.

Officers. Dined with three. All easy going interesting and entertaining.

All these things are subjective and vary greatly from person to person and others on the same cruise may think this is a load of rubbish. I overheard one person state that ?the ship was in such bad condition that she should be decommissioned?. If you have read this far you will see I disagree.

An other passenger said he was unhappy at dinner as they did not do the vegetables properly or in sufficient quantity. I enquired if he had spoken to the restaurant manager, he hadn?t, I advised him to do so to have his desires resolved.

Yet another Silversea first timer said it?s the worst cruise line he had been on and would not come back, but could not give much in the way of specifics.

And yet another Silversea first timer said it was brilliant and couldn?t wait to get back on.

While dining with one of the officers the question of ?You must have heard some extremely trivial complaints over the years?. This was answered with a roll of the eyes, a wave of the hand and a shake of the head followed by more head shaking?. Moving on.

As I say, subjective. My report, take it or leave it.

Rocchi

Rocchi,

Thank you for your honest and positive review of the SilverCloud. I have sailed several times on the Wind and Spirit and will be taking my first trip on the Cloud in June from London to Oslo. I was not overly concerned about the negative reviews as I had seen similar about the Wind before my last cruise but it is very good to hear what you have to say.

I agree some individuals just like to be negative and look for faults.

Sorry to hear you do not like Hot Rocks as I really enjoy the food and experience. We even eat there when it is cold outside as it was on our trip to Iceland! I am sure you know they will prepare your food if you request.

The one food experience I do not like is the Supper Club on the Spirit. Again this is just my personal opinion.

Is Colin Brown still the CD? He was Wind last year and we really enjoyed meeting him. If he is there I hope he will still be there in June.

Take care and safe travels!

Thank you SJS-TX

It?s not that I dislike the volcanic rock cooking thing as we have done it several time in land based restaurants, but for some reason we only like it at lunch time, not dinner time. Don?t know why. It?s not even the outside thing either.

On a recent cruise crossing the Bering Sea two days out of Kodiak Island when it was cold and the sea was bumping us about we had our late morning exercise walk around the ship all dressed up against the weather, we decided to have lunch out at the pool grill. Wind howling, ship rocking. The fish and chips got cold fast and I can?t remember if it was a two blanket or a three blanket lunch, mean while the crew were working away with their usual enthusiasm and charm. Several other pool grill lunches have been counted by the number of blankets.

I have not been on the Spirit and are unlikely cruise with her as I feel she is too large, so will not experience the supper club. We think the Shadow and the Whisper is as large a ship as we would like to go on. But who knows, maybe some day. We never thought we would be on an expedition ship and later this year we will be on the Explorer.

Yes Colin Brown is on the Cloud just now. He arrived about three weeks ago at short notice as the previous CD had to leave due to a family emergency. He may well still be on board in June.

Enjoy your cruise in June

Thanks for posting about one of our favorite ships! We've found that Hot Rocks is a love it or hate it kind of offering. We happen to love it, but we don't think less of those who don't share that view. It's nice to have all of these great options.

Where are you going on Silver Explorer? We're on the late October-early November sailing down the West Coast of SA.

TWe've found that Hot Rocks is a love it or hate it kind of offering.
Agreed.
Where are you going on Silver Explorer? We're on the late October-early November sailing down the West Coast of SA.
Looks like we'll be just ahead of you JP as we depart the week prior from Valpo on the Muse heading to Buenos Aires.

Thanks for posting about one of our favorite ships! We've found that Hot Rocks is a love it or hate it kind of offering. We happen to love it, but we don't think less of those who don't share that view. It's nice to have all of these great options.

jpalbany

Yes, that is the cruise we are doing.

Rocchi, we'll look forward to seeing you there! The itinerary looks so cool, and the food & wine emphasis is something we are eagerly anticipating as well.

We are part of a group of six, who all met aboard Silver Explorer in 2013, so this is a reunion for us. Some of us will go to Easter Island afterwards, independently.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the update as well, will embark the Cloud 1 Apr for the "pirate" cruise as I am calling it...Abu Dhabi to Athens...anyone have the wine list from the ship...it is so hard to find it....it will be a wine cruise so that should be nice as well. Last SILVERSEA was the SPIRIT...nice ship...maybe the MUSE someday once the shiny-object crowds die down and the itineraries get more away from the milk runs.

I did a 10 day cruise on Silver Cloud last month from Cape Town to Cape Town with my partner and a friend.

I was rather surprised to see some of the negative reports before embarking.

We have all cruised with Silversea previously - though mostly on the "expedition" ships.

I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.

The food was as good if not better than previous Silversea cruises both in the "Restaurant" and "La Terrazza". At dinner we usually ask for a side of steamed vegetables and are always very happy with what we receive. The fruit selection at breakfast in " La Terrazza" was outstanding - the best I have encountered on any cruise - and I have sailed with most cruiselines including Seabourn Crystal and Regent.

The service onboard was excellent as always.

Our suites were very comfortable and the furnishings - neat and tidy.

The evening shows were entertaining and Alfredo playing keyboards for us throughout the ship was - as previously experienced - exceptional.

If you look closely at the exterior of the ship - yes - it is showing its age - however this certainly does not detract from the wonderful onboard product.

All in all - a great time had.

Thanks again for the positive review! Just got through booking my excursions for my cruise in June. This will be my first time on the Cloud and looking forward to a great experience. I have been on the Spirit and Wind and am sure the Cloud will be just as wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is "Hot Rocks" dining?

How was La Terrazza? Does the menu rotate daily?

Are menus to "The Restaurant" posted earlier so one can decide where to dine on a given evening?

Sorry to ask stupid questions because this is our very first Silver Cloud Expedition cruise.

Have not sailed Silversea before.

Thanks in advance.

On the regular ships, the La Terrazza menu is the same for 3 days. The MDR LUNCH menu also remains the same for 3 days, but the dinner menu changes daily. If you ask your butler, he will give you the dining room menu each evening for the following day. Also, you may request special items 24 hours ahead of time with your butler, and if it is possible, the chef will make them for you. For example, many request lobster, or perhaps a soufflé for dessert. There also is an "all day dining" menu which can be ordered in any venue instead of the daily menu. Hot Rocks is an outdoor venue near the pool. You cook your own selections on hot rocks brought to your table. However, you may request to have your choices prepared by the chef instead of cooking your own.