Le Verdon to Bordeaux

TxnAquarian

Has anyone stopped at Le Verdon with Silversea? We will be calling here on the Spirit in June and are wondering if SS offers any transportation from the port to Bordeaux, or are we on our own. We don't like doing tours, so we are just trying to figure out the logistics.

Michael

Has anyone stopped at Le Verdon with Silversea? We will be calling here on the Spirit in June and are wondering if SS offers any transportation from the port to Bordeaux, or are we on our own. We don't like doing tours, so we are just trying to figure out the logistics.

Michael

Was on a cruise last year that docked in Le Verdon instead of Bordeaux. it was not a Silversea cruise but we learned that Bordeaux was really far from Le Verdon. The cruise line had excursions to Bordeaux but the distance was really great. We hired a private guide who picked us up in Le Verdon and did a wine tasting tour in the Medoc region. It was fabulous. She is actually based in Bordeaux. I highly recommend her. Let me know if you want her name. The scenery was beautiful, the wineries were amazing, and we stopped for lunch at a small French café. She is very knowledgeable.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are on the same cruise and have been waiting to see the SS excursions which should be posted soon. Apparently they will have a bus from the port to Bordeaux. I am not sure of the details yet. Would you like to look into alternative arrangements like a private driver to Bordeaux or another tour?

My wife and I are on the same cruise and have been waiting to see the SS excursions which should be posted soon. Apparently they will have a bus from the port to Bordeaux. I am not sure of the details yet. Would you like to look into alternative arrangements like a private driver to Bordeaux or another tour?

I highly recommend Nicolle Croft for a private tour.

http://www.sip-wines.com

nicolle@sip-wines.com

According to Google, it's about 100km and the best part of a two hour drive from Le Verdon to Bordeaux - can't say I'd be thrilled to spend four hours in a coach.

It's a long and tricky sail up the Gironde to Bordeaux - I did it on the Wind last year - and they have to have the bridge raised which is a major traffic hassle so it all has to be choreographed very exactly. I can understand why they don't want to take a larger ship there but it's a shame, being docked right in the middle of Bordeaux is wonderful.

Has anyone stopped at Le Verdon with Silversea? We will be calling here on the Spirit in June and are wondering if SS offers any transportation from the port to Bordeaux, or are we on our own. We don't like doing tours, so we are just trying to figure out the logistics. Michael

Appreciate these great follow-ups and these excellent questions about the potentials for getting from Le Verdon to Bordeaux. We are in San Francisco now, having just completed a 15-day Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale. Enjoyed the sun and warm weather compared to the bad, cold storms that recent hits part of the Midwest and NE.

Will follow-up more next week on the results of our research. Love getting any and all added suggestions for private options to consider. Glad that several have signed-on for the Roll Call for this mid-June cruise. If you are on this cruise, sign-in and share your interests, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Various pro/con factors to consider!! Trade-offs are always involved in looking at these various options for ship versus private tours.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 173,052 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...