Searching for hotel pre-cruise - Copenhagen

Have you tried searching for your dates on the website that advises people about their trips [i think we aren't supposed to mention names of booking sites on here so hint hint]? That should pull up everything available and which site has the best rate for each hotel.

It can be hard to find a decent place this close to sailing without some research. We are sailing in June and just booked our hotel last week. Honestly I wish we started at least a month earlier as it took a lot of effort for us because we need two rooms and one of them has to have twin beds. It seemed most of the nicer mid-range properties were mostly booked. There was more availability at the very high end and the very low end unless one wanted to stay near the airport [which we did not]. We finally settled on First Hotel Twentyseven which is more mid-range and is very close to Tivoli.

The Tivoli hotel is a bit pricier but looks very nice and they are a bigger property thus have more rooms to let.

The WakeUp brand has great prices, modern, clean looking rooms, and decent locations but NO twin beds at all so it wouldn't work for us; however, it may work for you so it would be a good idea to check them.

Of course you could always splurge on the Nimb [look it up, it's gorgeous! $$$$$$$$ though haha] or Hotel d'Angleterre [also gorgeous and $$$$$$]

Edited by Bostonjetset

I think you are going to find your budget too low for a hotel in Copenhagen at the end of May.

Look at the Wakeup Hotel Borgegade which is located near the Kongens Nytorv station and the Nyhavn area of Copenhagen. This puts you within walking distance of many attractions in Copenhagen. The rooms are small and basic (bed, bathroom, desk and TV), but they are clean, comfortable and quiet. We stayed there a couple years ago and enjoyed our stay very much. The breakfast buffet costs extra, but it's quite extensive and well worth the cost.

I chose a couple random dates for late May and it looks as if you'd be paying around $215 per night for a room. Room availablity is already limited, so you best find something soon.

Hi, haven't posted over there at that one site that has forums, hotels, etc. but have perused hotel rates. Having a hard time. I looked at First Hotel and am seriously considering Wakeup, but it looks like Wakeup beds are double sized? Was hoping for at least a queen, I'm American!

And no way on the expensive ones, we are saving money for other things, like flights and cruise ports/tours.

I'll look at First Hotel again. Thanks and happy cruising!

Have you tried searching for your dates on the website that advises people about their trips [i think we aren't supposed to mention names of booking sites on here so hint hint]? That should pull up everything available and which site has the best rate for each hotel.

It can be hard to find a decent place this close to sailing without some research. We are sailing in June and just booked our hotel last week. Honestly I wish we started at least a month earlier as it took a lot of effort for us because we need two rooms and one of them has to have twin beds. It seemed most of the nicer mid-range properties were mostly booked. There was more availability at the very high end and the very low end unless one wanted to stay near the airport [which we did not]. We finally settled on First Hotel Twentyseven which is more mid-range and is very close to Tivoli.

The Tivoli hotel is a bit pricier but looks very nice and they are a bigger property thus have more rooms to let.

The WakeUp brand has great prices, modern, clean looking rooms, and decent locations but NO twin beds at all so it wouldn't work for us; however, it may work for you so it would be a good idea to check them.

Of course you could always splurge on the Nimb [look it up, it's gorgeous! $$$$$$$$ though haha] or Hotel d'Angleterre [also gorgeous and $$$$$$]

Erg, bummer! Thanks for looking. I'll check around and maybe post back here if I find something. The Wakeup hotels are priced right but I heard their beds are tiny?

I think you are going to find your budget too low for a hotel in Copenhagen at the end of May.

Look at the Wakeup Hotel Borgegade which is located near the Kongens Nytorv station and the Nyhavn area of Copenhagen. This puts you within walking distance of many attractions in Copenhagen. The rooms are small and basic (bed, bathroom, desk and TV), but they are clean, comfortable and quiet. We stayed there a couple years ago and enjoyed our stay very much. The breakfast buffet costs extra, but it's quite extensive and well worth the cost.

I chose a couple random dates for late May and it looks as if you'd be paying around $215 per night for a room. Room availablity is already limited, so you best find something soon.

Hi, haven't posted over there at that one site that has forums, hotels, etc. but have perused hotel rates. Having a hard time. I looked at First Hotel and am seriously considering Wakeup, but it looks like Wakeup beds are double sized? Was hoping for at least a queen, I'm American!

And no way on the expensive ones, we are saving money for other things, like flights and cruise ports/tours.

I'll look at First Hotel again. Thanks and happy cruising!

HAHA. I hear you on the beds. They are much smaller on the continent than in North America. However, their "double" beds are equivalent to two continental twins pushed together [many times they ARE in fact two pushed together haha] which is similar to an American queen size. It is misleading to those from this hemisphere as many people use full/double interchangeably here but the double beds at First Hotels and WakeUp Hotels are not a "full" size as we would call them here; they are double their twin size [which is smaller than a North American twin hence why two is more like a queen than a king as it is here]. I think you will be okay with their "double".

I'm a bigger guy and DH is on the tall side so we almost always look for a King however we've managed with a "double"/queen in Europe if we have to for a night or two.

GradUT is correct though; it is on the later side for booking May hotels in Copenhagen so find one ASAP. I browsed about a month ago for our June trip and waited until last week to book. We would have had MANY more options at better rates if I booked a month ago :-( You are going a month sooner than us so it is getting really down to the wire for booking in this already very expensive city.

You should do fine on the beds at the Wakeup. As described, they are actually two twin beds pushed together--like on a cruise ship.

We walked from the Wakeup Borgegade to the Stroget. It's probably a 5 minute walk to that end of the Stroget. We also walked to Tivoli Gardens. That was about a 20 minute walk.

I'm unfamiliar with the Hotel Osterport, but anything near Osterport is going to be further walking distance from the Stroget and Tivoli than the Wakeup Borgegade.

Maybe it's just me, but Wakeup Borgergade looks really far from Tivoli - you can walk there?

It's 1 Mile from the Wakeup Borgegade to Tivoli Gardens. I found it to be an easy 20 minute walk.

Sold out, thanks though!

So I have Osterport and Borgergade reserved. I can cancel right up to the day before we arrive. Couldn't find anything else under $200. So now just have to decide which one!

What else can you walk to from Borgergade?

check out the Cabinn City---near station and Tivoli----we're stayed precruise and it was fine

Paul

What's even harder to find in Copenhagen is an air conditioned hotel. The hotels in the center of the city are quite wonderful location wise but can get noisy if one has to open a window as the weather warms. I'd wager by now there are no hotels with air conditioning left in your price range. We booked our Copenhagen hotel for mid May in October as we have been there before and knew our options. The later in May the higher the rates too. We are staying at the same hotel both pre and post cruise and the later date is $50 USD more and our original rate was over $200 USD.

Wakeup said they are air conditioned, but not the other one. These two are around $170 and probably our best

deal.

I'm concerned about ac now, although how hot is it at the end of May?

What's even harder to find in Copenhagen is an air conditioned hotel. The hotels in the center of the city are quite wonderful location wise but can get noisy if one has to open a window as the weather warms. I'd wager by now there are no hotels with air conditioning left in your price range. We booked our Copenhagen hotel for mid May in October as we have been there before and knew our options. The later in May the higher the rates too. We are staying at the same hotel both pre and post cruise and the later date is $50 USD more and our original rate was over $200 USD.

What else can you walk to from Borgergade?

You can walk all over central Copenhagen from the Wakeup Borgegade if you want. We walked from Tivoli to the Little Mermaid and from Rosenburg Castle to Nyhavn.

Just take a look at Google Maps and you can see what's within "your" walking distance of that hotel.

I totally understand air conditioning and many places in Europe and Copenhagen in particular. For me it is more about ambient noise. I am a light sleeper and need a quiet dark room. That is almost impossible in a city center hotel particularly with the fireworks of Tivoli and street parties. We all have different needs and desires and I want my 4th trip to Copenhagen to be as great as the first three.

Hi all, I've figured out some things. First, my budget is too low as GradUT said. I've upped that to around $200 USD per night. I'd like to have a safe in my room. And the larger room the better (I see many are smallish compared to US perception, it's a European thing). I want to be able to walk to things and not have to train it in, as in staying near the airport. I'd like clean and neat as possible, dislike cluttered and old/outdated. Old hotel is fine, but not old furniture, bed, etc. So...I'm looking at the following:

- An Airbnb

- Best Western Hotel City

- Christian IV

- Tivoli Hotel

- Avenue Hotel

Thoughts?

Hi all, I've figured out some things. First, my budget is too low as GradUT said. I've upped that to around $200 USD per night. I'd like to have a safe in my room. And the larger room the better (I see many are smallish compared to US perception, it's a European thing). I want to be able to walk to things and not have to train it in, as in staying near the airport. I'd like clean and neat as possible, dislike cluttered and old/outdated. Old hotel is fine, but not old furniture, bed, etc. So...I'm looking at the following:

- An Airbnb

- Best Western Hotel City

- Christian IV

- Tivoli Hotel

- Avenue Hotel

Thoughts?

We have booked Hotel Christian IV for June 1-3 The reviews are pretty good, looks to be in a slightly quieter area, and the management has been quite responsive to email.

We have stayed in Copenhagen many times - both mid-summer and shoulder season, May and September. We have never needed air conditioning. Generally, hotel windows open and fans are provided if it is a warmer day. It has never been "hot."

Regarding beds - European beds are different sizes from those in the U.S. The names for the sizes are different. Different is OK. Most of the time a "double" is two European sized twin beds together. It is plenty roomy for two people. (Don't choose a "single" unless you just want one European twin bed.) If you want a slightly larger room than a double, select a "superior" room" and you will have a larger sitting area. You will find that linens are different also. Your bed will have a duvet rather than a top sheet and bedspread/blanket. We have found that the linens are generally high quality and the beds, although not super soft, are comfortable. When we return home to the U.S. we miss the comfy duvets and European linens.

Hotel rooms are usually smaller than in the U.S. It is OK. The wonderful breakfasts more than compensate for the smaller rooms. We look forward to our European hotel experiences, especially those in the smaller locally owned hotels.

Thanks. Do you have anything to contribute to the question, which was asking about specific hotels?

We have stayed in Copenhagen many times - both mid-summer and shoulder season, May and September. We have never needed air conditioning. Generally, hotel windows open and fans are provided if it is a warmer day. It has never been "hot."

Regarding beds - European beds are different sizes from those in the U.S. The names for the sizes are different. Different is OK. Most of the time a "double" is two European sized twin beds together. It is plenty roomy for two people. (Don't choose a "single" unless you just want one European twin bed.) If you want a slightly larger room than a double, select a "superior" room" and you will have a larger sitting area. You will find that linens are different also. Your bed will have a duvet rather than a top sheet and bedspread/blanket. We have found that the linens are generally high quality and the beds, although not super soft, are comfortable. When we return home to the U.S. we miss the comfy duvets and European linens.

Hotel rooms are usually smaller than in the U.S. It is OK. The wonderful breakfasts more than compensate for the smaller rooms. We look forward to our European hotel experiences, especially those in the smaller locally owned hotels.

Thanks. Do you have anything to contribute to the question, which was asking about specific hotels?

I will try to give a better answer to your question. :)

We have stayed at Hotel Christian IV and the Hotel Phoenix. Hotel Phoenix was our favorite, but is now priced much higher than when we stayed there. Copenhagen is expensive, with no hotel bargains, at least as far as we have been able to find. We spend less on meals when we are there - lunch from food carts or deli counters, dinner at simple local cafes within walking distance of, but not close to, tourist hotels.

This summer we are flying to Oslo, staying two days, then taking the overnight ferry to Copenhagen. I've booked a very nice downtown Oslo hotel for $150 U.S. per night, with breakfast. Oslo welcomes far fewer summer tourists than Copenhagen and, although still expensive, can be visited on a budget. (August is a "good buy" hotel month as many Norwegians are vacationing elsewhere that month and some hotels discount rates.)

Copenhagen has a record number of cruise ship bookings for 2017, with the number of cruisers up 100,000 over 2016. Essentially there is more demand for the same number of hotel rooms, so prices continue to increase. When we stayed at Hotel Phoenix in 2009 we paid less than $140/night, superior room, with breakfast. Contrast this with the current rate of around $300.

I had originally read this info from another source, but the following is a good article with statistics.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/news/1005-copenhagen-sets-cruise-traffic-records-in-2016-2017

This is probably far more information than you wanted, but I thought you might find it interesting.