Silver Wind San Juan to Ft Lauderdale 17 March 2017 ..... live ......

les37b

After realising the chatter on "shots" San Juan thread was taking it off topic, I've decided to have a go myself at a live review and keep her thread specific for her trip.

Wednesday 15 March 2017

We left home at 5am for a 9.40 BA flight to JFK which was closed the previous day due to blizzards causing widespread disruption. I had looked at other options to get to San Juan but decided to stay put with the booking we had which had a 7 hour transit.

The flight left about 30 mins late and arrived the same. Getting though security was pain free this time and took only 30 minutes. Much different to my last US transit that saw us miiss a 4 hour transit in Atlanta.

The forward flight with American was delayed by an hour. Not a great experience but we arrived at the hotel exactly 24 hours after we set out.... or would have had the transport took us to the correct hotel. We learned later we were not the only ones this happened to.

Annoyingly the taxi driver or hotel porter snapped my wife's hand luggage handle and neither owned up. An apology would have sufficed... but anyway since no one admitted anything that was the end of that.

Thursday 18th march 2017

We awoke the next day not feeling the worse for where and had breakfast which was included in the price... or so we thought.

We ordered omolette from the al la carter and were presented with a bill totalling $56

Apparently it was buffet only but no one saw fit to telling as when they said 'breakfast included" at the hotel. They promised they would sort.

We decided just to go for a stroll and walked from our sharaton hotel by the convention centre into the port, old San Juan and the fortress. 27,000 steps later we arrived back early, freshened up, had dinner and crashed at 8pm

Friday 17th march 2017

The next day we were up bright and early, we had the (buffet) breakfast and headed to the nearby beach to kill time before pickup time.

There were approx 44 guests on the cruise staying there.

He left paying our bill (no breakfast charge) and boarded the bus. It seems we were missing several people who flew the previous day, missed the connecting flight and then couldn't get on the next flight. I'm unsure if they made the start of the cruise.

Boarding was the usual doddle and after giving a CC imprint we got to the pool deck for the pina colada we'd promised ourselves in San Juan.

La terrazza beckoned us for lunch, which was nice but nothing special. Muster was at 5 and "what's to come"at 6. We were already in the swing of things.

The Wind was due to depart at 7 but sneaked out at 6.30 before I had time to set up the go pros for timelapse. In truth it was a bit dark anyway.

We had a reservation in la terrazza for 7.30 so headed to the bar and say hello to Albert. We managed to get a veranda seat and very nice it was.

Jet lag was still with us and we hit the sack at about 9.45

Please excuse typos and spellings.... all typed at the pool on day 2 at gustavia!

More to come.....

Saturday 18th march Gustavia St Barths

Up early to set up go pros at about 6am but anchoring so far out it won't be the best footage of the trip.

We were up and dressed by 8.30 and had a lovely breakfast in la terrazza. I had the buffet.... and an omelette.... no charge! Lol

No tour planned for St Barts

We caught the tender over which was pretty bumpy getting on. As we set sale, you could smell the money. Everywhere you looked we're million $$$ boats... and that was before disembarking to find every shop was a designer outlet. I have no idea of the prices and I wasn't letting my wife go in to find out. We did find a supermarket which the prices were ok. I was surprised at that.

We followed the signs and spent a couple of hours on Shell beach. It's famous apparently but nothing special. It was nice being there though and I suppose it was a little bit a paradise really.

We left to go back for lunch and took photos of each of the shops on the way. We met the ships "enlightenment" guy and chatted for a while. It seems today was a gala and we were docked further out than usual. That would explain the abundance of boats.

Lots of photos taken with the canon... will post some when I'm back home.

Got back to the top and set up the go pros for some timelapse.... boy was that a good move. St Barts has gone from a "not fussed" stop into a "wow this is great".

We had a pool snack... and a few more pina colaldas while we watched the tall yachts go past.

That's up to date... heading for a short spell on the balcony....

More to come

8a32d9ebedcf24bde5203074ac2398bf.jpg

They were seeing how close they could get I'm sure! This was one of the smaller ones which we looked up and saw whilst on the running track loungers.

0c969d2bc106d9d5ca0f4093121076f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some serious camera stuff you have with you. Appreciate the photo's. Did you take your drone with you?

I certainly did. :-)

Unable to fly in Puerto Rico or St Barts as the airports are too close. There are only a couple of places I will be able to use it unfortunately.

Made good use of the new zoom lens yesterday too. As we don't dock until about 12 today, i will try to wifi them onto my phone to upload. I'd like to see the results myself too!

The photos below are just from my phone of Shell Beach and some room service before we went to the captains welcome last night.

f54487d8a25bb2a9e8e1f1ad5095543f.jpg

88e54913c9531e148b8180edc6dd87c7.jpg

f50caf85fc872fa083eee81997f3fcb8.jpg

The good news.... those stranded BA passengers did all manage to get on board prior to departure, so 271 was the final count.

Saturday 18th March St Barts (continued)

After a bite to eat at the pool bar and some weak cocktails (I'd be legless if they did their usual pours!) we headed back to the room to chill and sit at the balcony and watch the regatta. There are some seriously expensive yachts on display with huge compliments of crew (and guests I expect.)

This evening is formal night and prior to eating for the second night in a row in la terrazza, we attended the captains welcome cocktail party.

As previously mentioned in Shots San Juan thread, the Captain is Fabrizio Rota who comes from a Village near Portofina and accent distinctly Italiano and struggled at times to find his words. He ended as usual introducing some of the senior officers.

HD is Ken Fella

CD is Rico Du-Breil

Matre D is Sergio .... but I've yet to see him to see if it's the Sergio I know. I have a feeling it isn't.

Formal night in la terrazza saw numerous guests who'd not made the effort, with several with open collared shirts and casual jackets. The previous night was casual and saw a guy smartly dressed in a nice polo shirt and tailored shorts turned away. He'd made more of an effort than some who were allowed in on formal night.

The guy left accepting his shorts were not allowed no doubt returning a while later. I'm not so sure that would have happened if the 30% or so men in non formal clothes were refused entry!

Food was nice but nothing special. I enjoyed as usual the pasta, but didn't enjoy the main course.

Jet lag was still with us (as it is still this morning as I type!) and we once again returned to our rooms.

We departed Gustavia at 11pm and currently heading for Dominica and a snorkelling tour planned.

I take it you do not have the new interactive TV system yet, but is there word on when it will installed, and is the Pressreader managing to download English papers on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as I can tell the TV is still the basic one they've always used. Very few channels, though no big deal. It certainly will come of age once they've introduced the ability to fact find on screen the destination info. I will ask what news there is. I suspect it will be introduced with a bit of fanfare, though the internet upgrade didn't. I have to say it's really good having something usable instead of wondering if you had enough umpf to send an email without cutting out.

I've managed to upload some of the photos taken from my canon onto my iPad. There seems to be a lot less than I remember taking and annoyingly I didn't capture the space age one I sail, though did get it when anchored. Thought it looked ugly in that state but an impressive piece of machinery on the move. The GoPro hopefully got great shots of that.

Info on the regatta - https://m.yachtcharterfleet.com/events/st-barths-bucket-regatta-2017-990.htm

Ok I asked the question on the TV system and the answer was a big "no idea when, but is going to happen.

Small sample from Gustavia

b9e85ddf0d97425a44033b5994a51c90.jpg

c000e681199acfcf91da6cd27b18cfaf.jpg

c6d1a13d4587957f58d05ad479a66dee.jpg

473a4d33f09124c0d9ba2014a50a1186.jpg

da46b9748b58d5617d9c4227b034f2de.jpg

ffbc7e5f0f82cfad51519fd78c323bd3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sunday 19th March 2017 Dominica

We've arrive in dock at Rousseau at approx11am and currently watching the assembly of the gang steps which is more time consuming than you would imagine. The journey in has been through mist and frequent patches of drizzle.

Today's tour is the sulphur volcano snorkelling, so getting wet isn't a problem. However it was planned to be drone launch day as the site is far enough away from the small airport close to the town.... any moisture and that'll be it for another day. Fingers crossed. Just getting ready to disembark... as Dominica immigration come on board....

e54a4f19fc9ab496f49d078b07327f5a.jpg

1b075519a80edbd18292512472ee4c20.jpg

7cd1ea3e268be23397a0517941dcbe56.jpg

And as we get ready to leave the ship the sun makes an appearance...

And, here I thought they were streaming DirecTV to their phones so they could watch March Madness.

Not sure what March Madness is..... but this was what I was watching......

2eb4ca97336ffa047b0376272c089a99.jpg

March 19th 2017 Dominica continued.....

When we arrived at midday, we had solid cloud coverage and mild drizzle for a few hours. Luckily once we were allowed to disembark, the sun came out and clouds slowly but surely burnt away.

I'd got to our mini bus a good 45 minutes before we were due to leave.... got the gopro mounted on the windscreen for a timelapse journey and waited for the bus to go. We were told we would leave as soon as all onboard. We waited and waited and finally at 10 past 1 we left with one passenger left behind. (we were told to be on the bus and ready to leave for 12.45)

Dominica seems to be a poor and relatively untouched island and a complete contrast to the last port. An island of natural beauty.... but very under developed. A throwback to how travel used to be!

We arrived at Scotts Head where we climbed to the top of the peak to get panoramic views all round. The guide we head was very good and explained how it got its name!

The snorkelling was not very good at all and getting in and out of the waster not very pleasant. Then once in, there was little to see IMHO.

I left everyone snorkelling and decided to go have a very quick fly of the drone. Annoyingly the guide said we only had about 10 minutes so I had to be double quick.... I had a very quick flight and took a few photos. I would have done much much more had I realised we actually had 30 minutes. Oh well at least I got the "toy" off the ground.

Once everyone was back we went to the other side of the crater to "bubble beach". Located in a small part of the beach, the locals have made a "hot bath". The ships tour guide has a funny anecdote on his video...

The tour was enjoyable but wasn't one I'd recommend. I'm not disappointed I did it but I expect others could be better.

The captain has just announced we will be departing now (18.00 and booked time)... and expected force 5 winds..... with a warning to expect some movement. Exciting stuff!

So I'll sign off as we depart the beautiful island of Dominica.

Yikes... that was lucky. The balcony go pro was hanging off slightly! That wouldn't have been a good time lapse!!

a9da6e29f753862d385cccb9abeb7f7b.jpg

Jet lag still with me! Went to bed last night at 11 after watching my first ever SS show. (Which was an improvisation because one of the singers has been ill).... and now wide awake again at 4am.

Today's tour in Bridgetown is the 4x4 Adventure.

Just thought I'd add an image showing the itinerary... useful for me too as "my.silversea" no longer shows and details of this cruise or excursion info.

406d441eb1afa45098ef1a537a6234fd.jpg

Good Morning, Les. I was also up at 3:30 AM for no good reason, and I don't even have jet lag as an excuse! Today, I will be heading to the courthouse to report for jury duty.

Wish I was in Barbados on Silversea instead! Have fun on the 4x4 adventure.

Thanks JP... left the room at 6 to set up the GoPro.... its drizzling again!

Tour starts at 9 .... so second morning in a row on the treadmill for a 2 mile run. Some weight damage limitations required!!

Good luck with your day... hope it's a juicy one

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pilot now onboard (or 2 pilots as I just heard them say!) and getting ready to dock slightly later than scheduled on our second longest port stop of the cruise

c1fe47f2e7cc7309ba92c5b97e60c446.jpg

We didn't make it into Punta Cana at the beginning of February. It is a (new) tender port and the swell was too great to land safely and was forecast to worsen during the day. It was an extra sea day for us and a slow cruise to Grand Turk. I believe the subsequent cruises called somewhere else in Dominican Republic on the north coast.

I am enjoying your blog (from a sunny Val d'isere!) thank you.

We didn't make it into Punta Cana at the beginning of February. It is a (new) tender port and the swell was too great to land safely and was forecast to worsen during the day. It was an extra sea day for us and a slow cruise to Grand Turk. I believe the subsequent cruises called somewhere else in Dominican Republic on the north coast.

I am enjoying your blog (from a sunny Val d'isere!) thank you.

Yes they changed all instances of Punta Cana because of the swell problems and calling at Samana instead.

Enjoy your skiing :-)

Monday 20 March 2017 - Bridgetown Barbados

Up bright and early once again to setup the GoPro to timelapse record our arrival. The weather again was drizzle and the skies filled with cloud.

After being met by a pilot boat as we approached, 2 pilot men boarded to guide us into port.

By 8am we were clear to go ashore. After breakfast, the gadget bag was packed and made our way to the dock side to meet our tour guides for the 4x4 adventure - a three hour adventure to take us to places a normal car couldn't go. Sounded fun.

I did think it would be an open top jeep, but it was a trolley type with sides lifted (rolled up plastic) and we were all loaded onto the back of the "truck"

Our driver and tour guide was Ruel ... a colourful and self assured individual who proceeded to tell us his popularity and things about the way things were done in Barbados. Quite a character.

As we drove around, we saw the sea from the Atlantic side and Caribbean side where we stopped to take photos and have rum punch and coconut bread. We entered a "forest' which consisted of a few hundred trees and were treated to a view of a termite mound growing on a tree.

We then set off back to the ship driving through Sandy Lane and being shown a few celebrities houses.

The tour ended with 2 less than we started with as a couple left the vehicle at the stop and joined a different silversea tour after complaining about the driver being too loud. It was an open vehicle. He might not have been to everyone's taste, but he was harmless and inoffensive. When we stopped, the driver offered ''tis arm to assist getting off and the lady very rudely blanked the driver and scowled at him. It didn't go unnoticed so frankly we were happy with the extra room just gained.

The tour ended after 3 very uneventful hours back at the ship and I can wholeheartedly not recommend this tour. The driver was fine ... but it was boring and not worth the money it cost. I'd recommend a different tour.

After lunch on the Wind, I ventured out into town on my own. I didn't find any shops and ended up just going to the beach.... and briefly launching the drone. Even though we were over 5 miles from the airport, the software warned to fly with caution. I literally just flew down the beach and back at about 30' in height and video taken not anything to write home about.

Next stop is Castires... and the airport runs parallel with the cruise port so no chance there!

In the evening we had dinner at La Terrazza once again. And once again I had pasta and fish of the day which was lovely. (I can't remember it's name... sorry!)

The intention was then to go to the mind the gap show.... but it seems the 10pm show which was cancelled on the second night due to illness, took place at 6.30 so we'd missed it. (Strange time to have a show???)

So we departed the Parisian lounge and went to sleep just after 10.

Monday 20 March 2017 - Bridgetown Barbados

The intention was then to go to the mind the gap show.... but it seems the 10pm show which was cancelled on the second night due to illness, took place at 6.30 so we'd missed it. (Strange time to have a show???)

So we departed the Parisian lounge and went to sleep just after 10.

The 6:30 shows are for all the 'oldies' who eat at 7 and are in bed by 9:30, and boy are there a lot of them around.

The 6:30 shows are for all the 'oldies' who eat at 7 and are in bed by 9:30, and boy are there a lot of them around.

I made the 10pm show tonight.

Ivan tell you that show was for oldies!